SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's what the opposition uses as "talking points"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Here's what the opposition uses as "talking points" Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr. Kerry has since said that he would phrase things differently as a mature adult than he did 32 years ago as a young man. If you believe that Kerry's opinion disqualifies him from the presidency, then that is your opinion. However, it cannot be disputed that he had and has the right to testify about his opinions in any way he so chooses. He was also far from alone in his opposition to the Vietnam War. It is a far stretch to equate his anti-war stance with an anti-veteran stance.

Quote:
No matter how much one may disagree with Kerry's thinking after the war, one cannot dispute the fact that he did serve, and by all accounts, served honorably and bravely. If we accept service records as empirical and fair evidence of his service, then Kerry's are in direct contradiction to the accusations of the Swiftboat Veterans. In fact many of the current accusations are made by the same chain of command that approved his glowing reviews and medals.

Quote:
The "reasons" behind the attack are 100% political. Though they present themselves as non-partisan, Swiftboat Veterans for Truth is organized and funded by the GOP and features some enemies of Kerry, notably John O'Neill and Merrie Spaeth, that date back to Nixon.

Quote:
Is it really conceivable that Kerry had the doctors, nurses, and entire chain of command in his pocket? Could he wound himself, then work the system to produce a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts. It's not likely.

Quote:
Even though O'Neill authored an OP-Ed in the Wall Street Journal entitled, "I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief" it is for the reader to discover that Mr. O'Neill served on the same boat as Kerry but at different times.

Quote:
I believe that such flimsy, obviously politically-motivated accusations about one veteran's combat service impugns all veterans, including the men and women doing the country's hard business in Iraq and Afghanistan right now.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's what the opposition uses as "talking points& Reply with quote

SwanLady wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Kerry has since said that he would phrase things differently as a mature adult than he did 32 years ago as a young man. If you believe that Kerry's opinion disqualifies him from the presidency, then that is your opinion. However, it cannot be disputed that he had and has the right to testify about his opinions in any way he so chooses. He was also far from alone in his opposition to the Vietnam War. It is a far stretch to equate his anti-war stance with an anti-veteran stance.

David Horowitz seems to phrase things a bit differently, also.
David Horowitz, however, also seems to have matured his thinking, as well as his rhetoric.

Quote:
No matter how much one may disagree with Kerry's thinking after the war, one cannot dispute the fact that he did serve, and by all accounts, served honorably and bravely. If we accept service records as empirical and fair evidence of his service, then Kerry's are in direct contradiction to the accusations of the Swiftboat Veterans. In fact many of the current accusations are made by the same chain of command that approved his glowing reviews and medals.

Especially the chain of command that received his reports, out of sight of his boat.

Quote:
The "reasons" behind the attack are 100% political. Though they present themselves as non-partisan, Swiftboat Veterans for Truth is organized and funded by the GOP and features some enemies of Kerry, notably John O'Neill and Merrie Spaeth, that date back to Nixon.

I'm sure the Swiftees attempted to get start-up funds from the DNC and the Kerry campaign, but nothing much happened.

Quote:
Is it really conceivable that Kerry had the doctors, nurses, and entire chain of command in his pocket? Could he wound himself, then work the system to produce a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts. It's not likely.

Apparently. Have you seen today's news (8/25/2004)?

Quote:
Even though O'Neill authored an OP-Ed in the Wall Street Journal entitled, "I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief" it is for the reader to discover that Mr. O'Neill served on the same boat as Kerry but at different times.

Since cold hard facts are cold hard facts, Mr. O'Neill is correct. He was on Kerry's boat. He never said "when".

Quote:
I believe that such flimsy, obviously politically-motivated accusations about one veteran's combat service impugns all veterans, including the men and women doing the country's hard business in Iraq and Afghanistan right now.

I, as a veteran, do not believe this impugns my service, and as a veteran, I believe it will help prevent the people on active duty, including my son, and the sons of some personal friends, from having their reputations smeared by accusations that do not receive close scrutiny.

I refer not only to statements made "35 years ago", but to statements that have been made recently, post 911, which allege "widespread misbehavior" particularly in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I firmly believe appropriate scrutiny was not delivered when John Kerry made his statements, and appropriate scrutiny is not being delivered at the present time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: