SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftboats still floating..??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Swiftboats still floating..?????? Reply with quote

Greetings Swiftboat Veterans,
Does anyone know of any decommisioned swiftboats still functional? This looks like it would make a great boat for traveling around on the Great Lakes!
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. I bet you could find one although they are heavy and might be hard to transport. But, they do have a very shallow draft and would work well on the lakes.

They are Sexy! Love the way they look.
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiftboats still floating..?????? Reply with quote

ATACKM wrote:
Greetings Swiftboat Veterans,
Does anyone know of any decommisioned swiftboats still functional? This looks like it would make a great boat for traveling around on the Great Lakes!
I would like to see a Swift Boat as well.

Hey AttackM, I live at 11 Mile and Woodward Ave., in MI. Where abouts are you?
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw one at the salton sea near palm springs around 6 years ago...it was in good shape too.I was with a Navy Seal buddy at the time who was trying to work a deal/purchase with a friendly Govt allie for PBRs that were at the time made in Palm Springs. think they still are..lemme check
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey AttackM, I live at 11 Mile and Woodward Ave., in MI. Where abouts are you?

Hey ! Isn't that where the Detroit Zoo is...????? I'm at 7 mile & 94, now that I think of It ; this is kinda like living at the zoo..... Wink
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
Dragoro
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im at the 19 and livernois area
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragoro wrote:
Im at the 19 and livernois area

ATACKM wrote:

Hey ! Isn't that where the Detroit Zoo is...????? I'm at 7 mile & 94, now that I think of It ; this is kinda like living at the zoo..... Wink

Sounds like Deeetroit and Troy, if I am not mistaken. I live within walking distance of the ZOO, and of course Th' Cruise.

My apologies for the Hijackin' of the thread.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the bulk of the PCFs were turned over to the South Vietnamese government during the Vietnamization years.
buoybob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Swiftboats of 'nam were , more or less, converted oil field crewboats that where and are used extensively in the Gulf of Mexico, many similar craft can still be found in the Louisiana/Texas area, but they still have a useful life, and are not cheap. You can have a new one built by the original manufacturer. They are still in business, big time. [url]http://www.swiftships.com.
[/url]
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buoybob wrote:
They are still in business, big time. [url]http://www.swiftships.com.
[/url]

Swiftships used the name, but was not the manufacturer. All the U.S.Navy PCF's were manufactured by Sewart Seacraft, Berwick, La. The PCF's were a slightly modified 50' Aluminum Oilfield Crewboat of the style manufactured in the 60's. I have probably re-built a few hundred of these vessels in the past 30 years in the various shipyards I've contracted to. Texaco owned hundreds of them. As the exploration continued into deeper waters, larger vessels were required. There are still many of the old crew boats in disrepair available, however many have been scraped due to the price of aluminum.

Of course, you may be interested in buying a new one. I contracted the Engineering systems on this one a while back. It's a little classier than the PCF's but basically 15' longer and the same boat. NO WEAPONS!!

http://www.geoshipyard.com/shipyard/new_page_9.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: