SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 527 to hit the streets shortly
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Progress for America plans to begin airing ads today in two battleground states, Wisconsin and Iowa, says Mr. McCabe. The ads question whether Sen. Kerry would have adequately handled the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

One of the commercials opens with the smoky ruins of the Twin Towers and moves to several pictures of Mr. Bush with New York firefighters and other rescue workers.

This will really take the Kerry Kamp over the edge!
sfrader
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Dems are putting out 14 new ads in New York - what the heck kind of sense is that? New York is Kerry country...unless the Dem's internal polling is showing some cracks?? Maybe having Rudy on the campaign trail with Dubya is freakin' the Dems out? Plus having old Ed Koch batting for Bush might be messing 'em up too. Question
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfrader,

No a lot of markets feed into the NY market...namely Pennsylvania and New-Hampshire. They may also be concerned about the McGreevy scandal in New Jersey as well.

Truth is Beauty
Belisaurius
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's run by the owner of the San Diego Chargers, and they've taken in $33,000,000 this month.

There are a few others that just started rolling in money, but they're not so big.

I suspect some of the influx due to the effectiveness of the Swift Vets in debunking John Kerry's fraudulant record.
sfrader
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chargers' owner? That's news...never been a Chargers fan, but maybe I'll have to start rooting for them! Laughing
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, why is the news media saying that this "new" 527 has $35 million when their OpenSecrets.org record shows them at around only $2 million?

From a legal standpoint, what that refers to is a separate organization--There's Progress for America, Inc. which is an "organization dedicated to promoting the conservative issue agenda and rebutting liberal distortions" and has been around since 2001, and there's the 527 political committee, The The Progress for America Voter Fund, that they established in May in order to raise funds for political activism to meet the IRS requirements for 527s--

For more info, check out http://www.progressforamerica.com/pfa/wrapper.jsp?PID=1101-125

But I wholeheartedly agree with those who say that SBVT should not be drawn into affiliations with other groups which might 1) open them up to continuing charges of being a group of Bush backers and 2) dilute their true message--OTOH, those who have contributed to SBVT who are supportive of the President's re-election bid should feel free to support both groups if they see fit and in any way they see fit--C
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Farmer wrote:
Leslie wrote:
Same reason it says SBVFT only has $200,000 -- a time-lag in reporting. They are dealing with the IRS, after all.... Wink
The reporting data is as of 23 Aug 04. Unless they've had a major uptake in funds in the past few days, I'd have to wonder about the Progress for America Voter Fund being the "new" 527.

it dependes on how these groups report to the IRS. the time lag is not in the irs reporting, but in how the groups report to the irs. some do it quarterly, so the info from 23 Aug 04 would be the same as the day it was first reported until the next quarter's information is released.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: