SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another SBVFT/Bush Connection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Another SBVFT/Bush Connection Reply with quote

Boston.com Article

SBVFT need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. While I understand that this link is IMO not very credible, we are only giving them more and more Ammunition to discredit.

Does this organization ask its volunteers/employees/donators what affiliations it has with the President? I think it would be wise to unload (sorry if this doesn't sound polite) anyone that could cause negative press as soon as possible. Not that their help isn't appreciated, but causing stories like this is better to get out of the way now, then come election time!!!

Side note, I love how he gave up helping the president to help this site, instead of Vice Versa.
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old news and only desperate dems would see a connection here. Surely SBVT are allowed legal representation.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingvotr,

Don't worry; it's bogus. The Dems are going to drop this like a hot rock. A lot of us have already emailed various media outlets that the Democrats have a lot more lawyers working for them and various 527s. Furthermore, the lawyer in question immediately resigned.

It's silly anyway. What firm lawyer doesn't have a large client list. Even the FEC came out and said that it was prima facia legal.

Truth is Beauty
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even an attack dog for kerry admitted that this is no big deal as there are very few qualified Election Attornies out there. He of course tried to go on a rant about "other" connections and how the "other guy yadda yadda yadda" but the door was slammed shut by the reporter saying that was not relevant to the question!
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are the Vets being more careful in the help they allow?

Its never a good thing to give out ammo like this, and come election time if stuff came out, it could be worse?
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is provision for legal counsil, however, the resignation was most likely pre-emptitive to AVOID the appearance of impropriety, not that there was any.

It is tilting at windmills, especially since the DNC and several of their associated 527s share counsil.

The name of the game is not to prevent mud getting slung on you, it's ensuring it doesn't stick.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing votr,

I think they are being as careful as they can be, but McCain-Feingold is a morass of technicalties....and the Dems are trying to exploit this. Not exactly new for them I might add.

Truth is Beauty
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a democratic strategist on Dayside (sp) today and he said that there are very few lawyers with that expertise in politics and that the Kerry-Edwards has several lawyers who also advise 527s. Then he was asked if they were going to resign also. He hee-hawed around implying that they would not resign.

Additionally, in the initial story yesterday another DNC spokesman thought nothing of it. One can find his name at the end of that story.
Twidget
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an obervation based on personal experience...the people most likely to call themselves "swing voters" (usually from battleground states, too) on internet forums are rabid partisans.
Jungle_rat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is tilting at windmills, especially since the DNC and several of their associated 527s share counsil.

I disagree. It tends to paint the SBVT group with the same brush as MoveOn.org.

Remember, it's not what you or your lawyer thinks along narrow legalistic definitions. It's what the public, donors and undecided voters think...or suspect. Appearances do matter.

SBVT, PLEASE do everything you can to eliminate these connections. Having your key people disclose their affiliations (incl. professional affiliations) with either of the political parties would help restore trust.

Most non-libs have a pretty good nose for BS. The libs have no capacity for rational thought.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a lawyer from the Kerry campaign admits that there's nothing to it, it tends to take the wind out of the media's sails.

It's dead, Jim.
Jungle_rat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When a lawyer from the Kerry campaign admits that there's nothing to it, it tends to take the steam out of the media's sails.

What part of that assurance should we take comfort in...that it's coming from the Kerry campaign, or that it's coming from his lawyer who's probably himself in flagrant violation of the law?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take comfort in finding the past threads on this topic and seeing how quickly this was taken apart for the nothing it was.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another SBVFT/Bush Connection Reply with quote

swing votr wrote:
Boston.com Article

SBVFT need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. While I understand that this link is IMO not very credible, we are only giving them more and more Ammunition to discredit.

Does this organization ask its volunteers/employees/donators what affiliations it has with the President? I think it would be wise to unload (sorry if this doesn't sound polite) anyone that could cause negative press as soon as possible. Not that their help isn't appreciated, but causing stories like this is better to get out of the way now, then come election time!!!

Side note, I love how he gave up helping the president to help this site, instead of Vice Versa.

Mr. Kerry,

I repeat:

My dog relieved itself on the lawn of someone whose grandmother's ex-fiance was once a Republican.

The Bush campaign is therefore connected to the SwiftVets.

Sue me!

-- FDL
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing votr wrote:
But are the Vets being more careful in the help they allow?

Its never a good thing to give out ammo like this, and come election time if stuff came out, it could be worse?

Methinks thou protest too much and possibly worry not at all. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: