SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damage report on Pcf3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Damage report on Pcf3 Reply with quote

Found this link showing Kerry writing up a damage report for his boat using
pcf3's damages during the Jim Rassman incident.....This needs to get out..
1st link is article...2nd is report...
http://www.pipelinenews.org/index.cfm?page=collinsswift1.htm
http://www.pipelinenews.org/index.cfm?page=kerry94%2Ehtm
7rrfs
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOR 150140Z/NS/KJW

??Like I can read that.
Is that the famous KJW initials?
Who is KJW?
It is a who?

I cant read Navy! Someone translate!

14i355Z Mar 69
Huh?
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7rrfs,

I can answer most of this being a Commo person.

TOR==Time Of Report

150140Z is the day and time (in GMT) of the report.

I forget off hand what NS stands for, but I know for certain what KJW means. KJW is the callsign of the operator that filed the report.

O'Neill claims it is Kerry, but pro-Kerry people have pointed out that other messages also have KJW.

Here is my hypothesis (based on my Commo experience):

KJW is Kerry's communications operator. This would explain why KJW is sometimes found when Kerry himself wasn't involved.

Truth is Beauty
rparrott21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to read this..
AF366TFW
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am curious about is the HULL NUMBER! Is that in FACT the hull number for the PCF-94 or is for the PCF-3???? Anybody have sources?
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21,

Try this thread that NavyChief brilliantly came up with.
http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4331&highlight=

Also, check this out for who sent the report -
http://idexer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=395#395

Hope this helps!
DAP48
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Message Reply with quote

I was a Radioman (RM). This is a standard message. At the top is 141335Z Mar 69. This is called the Date Time Group. It is assigned to the message by the drafter of the message. The 14 stands for the day the message was drafted. The 1335Z is the time in GMT. The Mar and 69 are obvious, March of 1969.
rparrott21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were to be pcf 3's damage report and was forged to be pcf 94's,
this would throw a wrench in the no man left behind story...
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The naval message in question is a CASREP, an administrative report to higher authority reporting that PCF-94 will be totally unable to get underway and complete its assigned missions in any way until 18MAR69. It is addressed from Coastal Division 11 to (for action) local administrative and operational chains of command and (for information) the Pacific Fleet chain and certain national addressees (supply and engineering facilities).

This message reports the results of a thorough damage assessment of PCF-94 by the Coastal Division 11 materiel staff, not by the boat's OINC or crew. It does not say that the damage occured on a given date, just that the boat is being taken down for repair and won't be available to the action addressees for assignment for the designated period.

The "KJW" bit comes after the end of the message (BT) and apparently is some kind of time of receipt tag on the receiving end, such as a communications master station that will forward the message to the addressees. "KJW" are NOT the initials of the drafter or the releaser of the message.
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damage report states VRC 46 Radio and all remote units inoperable. In addition the boat was having electrical problems with a generator down.
Although most local traffic radios were 12\24VDC, the ship\shore units of the 60's capable of distances were 110AC. Need an ET(no pun intended) to verify this.

1. Is the VRC46 Radio on the PCF 94, the means by which messages are sent from the boat?

2. According to "Unfit For Command", Pg. 91, When Chenoweth's boat left a second time to deliver the wounded PCF3 crewman to a Coast Guard Cutter offshore, Kerry jumped onto the boat, leaving the few remaining Officers and men the job of saving PCF3............Kerry was treated on the Coast Guard Cutter when the PCF3 was being towed to An Thoi.

3. Was there a radioman on the Coast Guard Cutter? KWJ?

4. Did Kerry wait untill he got back to the LCT and have the radioman there send the message? KWJ?
rparrott21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought if this were the March 13 incident and pcf 94 had all of these
damages and was unable to operate after the so called 2nd mine hit Kerry's
boat..how could he have been able to go back and pick up Rassman....
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VRC-46 is the hard-wired version of the PRC-46 and is a low-band VHF (about 46 MHz) non-encrypted voice radio. PCFs did not have the capability of sending or receiving radiotelegraph messages like the kind displayed. This CASREP was sent by Coastal Division 11 and would have been released by the Commander or his duty officer. No piece of equipment is CASREPed, and thus reported to higher authority as being unable to support the unit's mission, without the explicit approval of the CO, in this case the COSDIV11 commander.

I say again that "KJW" is in the TOR, "Time of Receipt" slug. The copy displayed was distributed to CTG 115.4 for further distribution to staff members there (the staff number codes under COG for "cognizance"). Whatever communications station served CTG 115.4 is where the message was received.
LongKnife56
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic analysis. I took the liberty of copying it and sending it to Dobbs (and a few Fox people myself with a disclaimer and a link back here. Who knows whether NavyChief sent it or whether Dobbs read the original if sent. i trust this is OK as theoretically WashPost or Fox people monitor this forum anyway.
twinkleUSA
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a damage report available for the 3 boat?

If so, it'd be interesting to see if both the 94 & 3 have exactly the same damage. I don't know much of anything about boats, but it seems like an awful lot of damage on the 94 boat to be towing the 3 boat back. If the 94 had so much damage, wouldn't it be common sense to have towed the 3 back with one of the boats that DIDN'T get hit by a mine?

Sure would be nice to see a side by side damage report of the 94 & the 3.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say again that "KJW" is in the TOR, "Time of Receipt" slug. The copy displayed was distributed to CTG 115.4 for further distribution to staff members there (the staff number codes under COG for "cognizance"). Whatever communications station served CTG 115.4 is where the message was received.

All,

The TOR line in question on this message: TOR 150140Z/NS/KJW

TOR stands for TIME OF RELEASE not TIME OF RECEIPT. The DTG 141355Z MAR 69 would have been put in at the time the message was being typed. Since this message was a Priority message it did not go out at 141355Z MAR 69. Flash messages and immediate messages would have had precedence. There are a variety of reasons the message would have delayed going out. It's not really a good point to argue unless you are doing research on how the communications worked during that time. The TOR line was used for originator line. Once the system kicked the message out it would place this line on the message.

NS - would have been the operator's opsign (generally initials - doesn't have to be) that generated the format message.

KJW - would have been the original drafter's opsign (generally intials - doesn't have to be) that wrote the original message.

This hasn't been proven whether it is Kerry or not. The initials do not match but this wasn't necessary either. Since it is an opsign, it would have been designated before this person sent his very first message. Radio logs would have shown who KJW actually was. This is just a guess at this point (it hasn't been proven yet) but the KJW could be: Kerry, John, Wayne. I am working deligently to find the logs on this.

To answer the question about the person receiving the message in this line, it could not be KJW in two different places at the same time. Note the boat CASREP is sent from COMCOSDIV 11 (LCDR ELLIOT) - I don't know exactly where Elliot's comm center was but he sent the message to CTF 115 (Hoffman). I don't know exactly where Hoffman's comm center was but if the TOR was TIME OF RECEIPT, then KJW was at Hoffman's comm center. However, the SPOT REPORT from 13 Mar 69 was sent from CTE 194.5.4.4 (Elliot) to CTG 115.4 (Longsdale). I know Longsdale was at AN THOI. KJW is on this message. Also, PRESS RELEASE DTG 260331Z FEB 69 has KJW in the TOR line. This message was sent from CTG 115.4 (Longsdale) at AN THOI to COMNAVFORV (Adm Zumwalt). Again, KJW could not have been in AN THOI or wherever Adm Zumwalt's headquarters (comm center) at the same time.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but this is the straight skinny.

- instigator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: