SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftboat Tactics in RVN question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Swiftboat Tactics in RVN question Reply with quote

As a former destroyerman, I am sure that had I, on a duty day as Boat Officer in some liberty port, ordered my coxswain intentionally to ground our 26' MWB, I would have been relieved and reprimanded.

Could someone with personal experience in this matter please comment on the wisdom of plowing one's bow into unknown dirt while in the presence of the enemy? (See the Silver Star commendation.) Even LCUs and LCMs aren't allowed to beach until the SEALS have measured the beach gradient and cleared alll underwater obstacles.

Under this doctrine, one's Swiftboat becomes instantly UNswift, perhaps for good. And the aft weapon mount is masked with respect to the enemy fire that invited our attention in the first place. And the twin .50s in the tub can't engage close aboard targets because it is pointed at the sky.

And what about hopping off the boat in foot pursuit of wounded, fleeing enemy personel? What happens if you get into trouble behind the hooch? Is your enlisted craftmaster justified in pulling off and leaving you there, or is he obliged to come to your aid?

My impression is that this sort of performance ought to be a shortcut to Flag Mast and involuntary transfer to the IRR, but then I have no Swiftboat experience.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwbarden:
Hi, I rode swifts as an advisor to the VN Navy after the swifts were turned over to the Vietnamese during the Vietnamization of the war in '69 and '70. Beaching a 50 ft boat is indeed a knucklehead maneuver. It removes the most important feature of the PCF, maneuverability. It was done frequently though, in situations where it was needed to offload supplies, insert ground troops or perform some other action that couldn't be pulled off without it. One usually tried to avoid doing it under fire or in areas that were hostile. Occasionally a PCF managed to get grounded unintentionally, as sandbars weren't always on the charts and if you happened to be up a canal when the tide went out, you basically got to sit there until the tide returned and lifted you up again. In these cases, it usually meant that the boat skipper had to have a discussion with his CO afterwards and explain himself.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaching a Swiftboat into an ambush sounds like a real good way to get yourself (and the guys who try and rescue you) killed. I can guarantee, if that tactic had been tried a few more times, the VC would have set a trap and wiped out a whole bunch of boats. I know exactly how I would do it, too. Kerry's lucky the Navy didn't adopt that brilliant tactic, or he would now have his name on a black wall in D.C. with the rest of his crew. I'd bet that "tactic" quit as soon as Kerry left the AO.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiftboat Tactics in RVN question Reply with quote

jwbarden wrote:
Could someone with personal experience in this matter please comment on
the wisdom of plowing one's bow into unknown dirt while in the presence of
the enemy?

And what about hopping off the boat in foot pursuit of wounded, fleeing
enemy personel?.

Actually, neither evolutions were all that unusual. Kerry just exaggerted

..... ....

.... No one in either of these pictures received an award of any kind .....

Well maybe not so. The little Hoi Chanh on the right received a good meal

LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Beaching Boats Reply with quote

I was a crew member on an LCVP "Pappa Boat" in 1966 landing Marines up the Dong Ha River near the DMZ. The boat was to the point of overload with Marine communications equipment. Our coxswain pulled up to the floating dock and the beachmaster told him to beach the boat just down the river so he could unload other boats first. We complied and waited until the beachmaster was ready for us. When the coxswain backed off of the bank, we seemed fine. When he started forward, we sank and had to swim for it. There was a large rock just under the mud that had made a large hole in the bottom of the LCVP. I think I got a scratch or two, but I didn't get a Purple Heart.
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a FUBAR evolution, where one feared reprimand, was it plausible to submit recommendations for valor as a squid-like ink of obfuscation and have them approved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: