SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unfit for Command - Availability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hleone
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Unfit for Command - Availability Reply with quote

Amazon now says Unfit for Command "usually ships in" 5 - 7 weeks!

All other bestsellers ship in 24 hrs.

Is first printing really sold out? Was that 500,000 copies?

If book will not be available for extended time, is there a possibility of providing downloadable Word or Acrobat versions to purchasers until second printing is out and shipped?

Hate to see the public's learning curve on this critical information stopped and delayed that long.

Maybe those in the know could post book availability info and forecasts here from time to time.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't trust what amazon is projecting as a ship date - people are getting their books while their amazon account is still showing a projected shipping date in September. Wink

There are now 500,000 copies in print and Regnery hopes to have another 50,000 ready by Monday. It's on it's sixth print run, I believe.

Hannity is going to carry it on his site, too, I just learned a few minutes ago.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered from Amazon on 30 July, and it arrived today (8/20).

I suspect they, and other retailers, are overwhelmed.

God Bless John O'Neill and all SBVT vets.

Veritas praevalebit.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.booksamillion.com

shipped mine the same day. Give that a try.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
jpusinsky
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: My search for the book Reply with quote

I live in Baltimore City, yesterday Aug 19, 2004 me and my wife went to two area Walden Book Stores and were tol by both that they were sold out and they had no idea if they were going to get anymore copies of "Unfit for Command". Then we went to Books-a-Million in Columbia and I put the book on advanced order. The lady I spoke to at Books-A-Million claims that they only got 3 copies of the book in. She said that was very strange. She also told me they get 20 people a day walk in and place the book on advance order and even more people call the store about it. Everyone I know democrats and republicans want to read this book. I heard that 500,000 copies are in print.
Is that enough books?

Is the book really that popular?
GOD Bless GW Bush
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine 8/10 and it arrived yesterday from Amazon.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
jpusinsky
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: I got mine ! Reply with quote

Got my copy today from Books-A-Million. I was called this morning and went out there this evening. They were allmost sold out. They had 3 books left.
GOD Bless GW Bush
JonMoseley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: KEEP TRYING Reply with quote

DON'T GIVE UP! The vast MAJORITY of copies of UNFIT FOR COMMAND have NOT YET hit the bookstores. They best is yet to come. 300,000 copies of the 500,000 copies now in print were printed AFTER the initial rush and shortage. Therefore, far more copies of Unift for Command are still moving through the distribution chain than the number of copies that have yet been sold. Your chances of getting a copy will be BETTER in the near future than in the past. So please don't give up, and leave lots of unsold copies sitting on shelves. It would be very embarrasing to have 100,000 copies of Unift for Command end up in the "deep discount" bin because no one buys them in a month.

The best way to get a copy is not to be a "lurker" at various bookstores, but to go ahead and place an actual, firm ORDER for the book. As people all up and down the distribution chain are trying to guess how many books to ship to various places, if you place an actual, firm order, this will get your book into the system and headed your way. Otherwise, the bookstore could guess wrong, and there won't be enough even when the next shipment arrives.

REGNERY WILL PRINT AS MANY BOOKS AS IT TAKES. But if you don't place a firm order, they won't know how many to print. Regnery will print 2 million if that many people will buy the book. But they won't print more than their best guess of how many will sell.

So if you are "lurking" and browsing at various bookstores, no one is counting you as a potential buyer, and no one is figuring to print enough copies to satisfy all of you. (Hint: Make sure to place your order soon, however. Because once Regnery shuts down the printing presses, it is very expensive (and unlikely) to start up the printing presses all over again. So get your order in while they are still in production mode. Then they will definitely print enough copies to satisfy you, no question about it.)

Regenery Publishing explains that they would normally have used a publication date of early September. What happened was that they decided not to wait until all 100,000 copies of their initial planned were in print before releasing any of them. So they intentionally ran 30,000 copies in an unusually-small print run to start getting the first 30,000 copies out immediately, rather than selling NONE until September. They immediately ran another 30,000 copies in the second print run, and 30,000 copies in the third print run, in order to continuously release books as they came off the presses.
fanningp
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: BORDERS - Milwaukee Reply with quote

I can tell you that at a Borders here in Milwaukee it is not very easy to find, and even at that the shelf space it is given seems to only allow about four copies at a time!

When I finally found it after about 20 minutes of searching myself, there was an elderly gentleman that looked lost himself, and I held up the book and in a raised voice (within earshot of several Borders employees including what looked like the manager) said, are you looking for this, sir? To which he replied, yep.....

Always glad to to help out a fellow veteran Smile

Pete
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animal
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered mine thru Amazon..... also ordered my absentee ballot for the election since I wont be near home. It is a good night.

Animal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: B&N in Palmdale, CA Reply with quote

Stopped at my local Barnes and Nobel tonight on the way home from work. Didn't expect them to have any copies, but wanted to generate "demand" for them. The fellow at the customer no-service desk couldn't find his list and placed a phone call to someone. Don't know to where.

The story he told me is that B&N has not received any copies on the west coast yet. They expect some, but don't know when or how many.

I'm ordering over the internet.
Maggie1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mexico checking in- 8-26-04 Albuquerque Journal
Book in short supply

http://www.abqjournal.com/elex/213272elex08-26-04.htm
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Book exchange? Reply with quote

As of 8/24/04, a Barnes&Noble store near me had about 15 copies left. But wouldn't 15 unread copies in CT be more useful in FL or OH or PA?

If any of you who want the book are frustrated by delivery delays, we might want to consider a system of book exchanges. If someone in a low-demand area posts that "there are X-number of books available in Y-city USA", others in high-demand "sold-out" areas could order books. Then the person in the low-demand area could buy the books and sell them at cost (book price + sales tax + postage).

While bookstore prices are higher than online outlets, it is crucial that as many books as possible are read BEFORE THE ELECTION, so extra time might be worth the money.

What do you think--does this sound reasonable?
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered my copy today from Amazon. Let's see how long it will take to get here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: