SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain speaks again .This time he seems to not take sides
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve02C5 wrote

Quote:
McCain says he violated the Code of Conduct only when the North Vietnamese brutally tortured him. He further claims that he was so distraught afterwards that he tried to commit suicide. He has never explained why his "aid to the enemy" continued for more than three years.

I think this is unfair Steve. If I recall some training I had when I was a drilling reservist, the service was not pushing that "iron man" attitude toward the Code in post-Vietnam training. As a veteran and US citizen, I would never take offense to a soldier's political comments while he was under duress. We know who is really doing the talking.

I don't mean to be a McCain apologist. He is a liberal in my book and should back off on this whole issue. 527s are out there and from what I see Soros and company need to be countered by organizations like the Swiftvets. But I think your characterizations of his behavior while being tortured in prison are unfair. There is a mighty small percentage of us who would have even survived such an experience. Other than that, before he went down, I hope he got his payload on target!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, trashing what happened to that man in a POW camp isn't going to happen, here.

I've read several versions of McCain's time in captivity and they differ, depending upon who is doing the writing.

There are people out there who have speculated wildly upon McCain's captivity and taken his own words out of context and used them against him.

We will not be party to that, here.

We are not in a position to judge what went on in those camps and that type of speculation is not welcome here.

Criticize his current stance, by all means. He's the one who put it out there and slandered the men who started this organization.

Leave the criticism of his conduct as a prisoner out of it.

Let us also remember that the Code of Conduct was re-written after these men came home and told of the terrible tortures they had faced and the guilt they had over breaking, which hurt them even worse than the tortures.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Aye
Recon9
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can not believe Mr. McCain's position on this. It is sad that we have veterans on both sides, but some of Mr. McCain's fellow POW's and graduates of the Navy academy are swearing to their statements. I respect the officers and don't believe these men would "lie" about this at this time for political gain. If Mr. McCain is in the "middle of the road" where is his leadership? One side is lying. There seems to be no debate on the facts as the swiftees are the only ones presenting any facts. Mr. Kerry's supporters only want to direct attention away from any facts.

I, for one, could never support Mr. McCain for anything if this is his idea of loyalty and leadership!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who think Senator McCain is going to run in 2008, I think you ought to consider a couple of things:

1. He has had treatment for a very serious melanoma with certainly there being a high risk of recurrence of melanomas;

2. I believe his wife had a stroke this year.

I would rather he retire from the Senate with honor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: