SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White - Blue uniform, when?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: White - Blue uniform, when? Reply with quote

When do sailors change from blue to white uniforms, and v v.
Memorial Day, Labor Day, or something else?
tugboatphil
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greasepaint,

I can't recall exactly, but it was usually around April and October. The switch to Whites would usually be right before the last snowfall of the previous winter. Going to Blues meant that there would be one more heat wave to present itself.

The switch was also dependent upon where you were stationed. I can't recall ever seeing Blues when I was in Gtmo. Also, Dress Blue are an acceptable travel uniform any time of year.

It was always my theory that the reason Sailors drank and fought so much was that we were dressed in suits with funny hats, and scarves around our necks. Then the ship stopped in the worst part of town (any waterfront in any nation, fill in the blanks). What else were we supposed to do?!

Phil Toth
BMC(SW) ret

Don't Sweat the Mule Goin' Blind,
Just Keep Loadin' the Wagon.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like turning on the a/c in the summer and the heat in winter....

You switch to whites after you've already sweated yer butt off in blues for two months.

You switch back to blues after you've already frozen for two months.

Every region adjusts its own schedule so as to meet these requirements.

Wink
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: uniforms Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Like turning on the a/c in the summer and the heat in winter....

You switch to whites after you've already sweated yer butt off in blues for two months.

You switch back to blues after you've already frozen for two months.

Every region adjusts its own schedule so as to meet these requirements.

Wink
Why not put the navy in urban camo year around and use whites and blues for special occassions?
tugboatphil
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out of the loop for 7 years now, and live 300 miles from saltwater. But I do get back down to Norfolk every now and then. It appears to me that almost everyone onboard now wears coveralls for a work uniform.

Blues and Whites have always been a dress uniform for watchstanding and ceremonies. There are "working" versions of each and these are usually Staff or Instructor types. (whoever came up with white uniforms for tropical climates NEVER had to wash the necks of their own shirts!)

I first came into the Navy in 78, when the Utility uniform was being experimented with. I like the shirts (they were almost indestructible) but hated the pants. By the time I left the west coast (1980) dungarees were on the way back, but not yet an Issue item.

On a side note for Dress Blues, The 2 easiest ways to get in a fight with British Sailors:

Whenever they'd ask, "What are the two stars for on the backflap of your jumper top?" You could either reply, "They represent the two times that we kicked your A**es!" OR "They represent the two times we had to SAVE your a**es!" Mayhem to follow. Rolling Eyes

Of course there was always the old standby, just jump up on a table and shout anything derogatory about the Queen.

Oh yeah, as to Urban Camo, it would make it TOO easy for Seamen to hide during working hours. Wink
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gripe was trying to get foul weather gear for my deck crew on a North Pac and they're all signed out to radar types in CIC.
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tugboatphil wrote:
On a side note for Dress Blues, The 2 easiest ways to get in a fight with British Sailors:

Whenever they'd ask, "What are the two stars for on the backflap of your jumper top?" You could either reply, "They represent the two times that we kicked your A**es!" OR "They represent the two times we had to SAVE your a**es!" Mayhem to follow. Rolling Eyes

Of course there was always the old standby, just jump up on a table and shout anything derogatory about the Queen.

Laughing Shortly after the Falklands a friend of mine was on a Sub making port call at Portsmouth England. A lively discussion occurred when the Brits insinuated that the US was "yellow" for not joining in the Falkland Islands fight. The Brits made several rude comments and one of the US sailors, tried repeatedly, without success to get under the Brit's skin with comments of his own. Finally, in frustration he yelled "The Queen has a d**k!" Without missing a beat the Brit replied holding his hand two feet in front of his groin "That's right mate, and it's THIS BIG". The whole bar laughed and everyone stood down. Laughing Laughing

HOV1
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there was the Junior's Lounge in the China Fleet Club in Hong
Kong. All through the Viet Nam war there was this song on the juke
box: Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismark". That's not so remarkable
a song to have in a British EM club, but on the flip side we had:
"The Battle of New Orleans". After about 3 plays, the riot would
break out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: