SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you Swifties (and other thoughts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevkersey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you Swifties (and other thoughts) Reply with quote

First of all, a quick introduction.

I am a son of a WWII Vet. My dad served in the Navy in the South Pacific. He was in during the last year of the war, and altough only 17 when he joined, saw more of war than I would ever want to. He even has a Japanese watch from a suicide plane that hit his ship.

As for me, I joing the USAF in 82 and got out 4 years later in 86. That experience changed my life for the better. Since then, I have come to appreciate those who serve admirably and to those who give their all for this great country of ours.

Next, I would just like to thank the Swifties who have the courage to stand up against the liberral media, and the left wing wackos, to take advantage of their first admenment right and speak out. I know other VN vets who appreciate what you are doing as well. So, thanks.

On another note, this last May, during the Memorial Day weekend, I joined a few hundred thousand bikers (many of them veterans) and came to Rolling Thunder in Washington DC. One thing that I noticed is that the Bush people were there campaigning for Bush. They were at Ft. Washington Harley Davidson handing out stickers, bumper stickers, etc, and getting people to sign their sheets to volunteer. They did a lot of business.

This is a major "veteran" gathering, which happens every year. One thing missing though, were the Kerry Supporters. Among the several hundred thousand people there, I did not see ONE who supported Kerry. During the parade to the Wall, there were some along the side of the parade route, but they were in an obscure place away from the rest of the crowd.

So when I hear about how much Kerry loves veterans and the military, I remember back to Rolling Thunder of 2004, and ask where he was. (BTW - Although Bush did not appear in person, he did invite the leaders of RT to the White House, and even called in during the speeches.)

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.

--Ulysses S. Grant
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous that you got to go to RT!! How cool!

You know at one time, Kerry had a rally event planned called "Rolling Thunder."

I think someone must have finally talked some sense into him on that count.

Too bad he didn't stick with it. Wink
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Rolling Thunder Reply with quote

My wife & I both ride Rolling Thunder every year, as do most of our Chapter members. Glad you enjoyed the trip. No, JFK supporters weren't there because most of them fear being around so many vets and veteran issue supporters! BTW.. Our bikes have stickers on them that say:
Viet Nam Combat Veteran
For President Bush
(in the yellow & green colors)
We have them on our cars too.
My wife is a "Gold Star Sister" & proudly wears patches from her brother's unit.
kevkersey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
I'm jealous that you got to go to RT!! How cool!

It is one of th most moving experiences in my life. I have been the past three years and decided it will be a yearly pilgrimage for me. I was even able to get my wife to go with me this year, and although she thought she would be bored, she had great time. It also didn't hurt that we went with some great guys from my local HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter, one of whom is a VN vet that had never been to the Wall.

If you want to be around some of the most patriotic people in the US, go to Rolling Thunder. I know Martin Sheen and Mike Farrel like to think they are patriotic, but compared to these people... well, they can't hold a match.

--Ulysses S. Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: