SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-22 Joint Task Fighter!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: F-22 Joint Task Fighter! Reply with quote

Today Walter Cunningham was sitting in for Dan Patrick on AM 700 houston radio and discussed his recent simulated F-22 flights. It was interesting that he said the old pilots such as himself would have to worry about instruments now with the F-22 there is no need because the computers monitor them for the pilot and alert when there is a problem, yet he went on to say for all the advancement and ability for the pilot to concentrate on the mission the hardest thing he had was the new joystick. He said the dang thing had like 14 buttons on it hehe. Definately a nod to the young gamers out there. What really got me though was when he discussed the simulations the military has been running of f-15 eagles against the f-22. He said the last simulation they ran they put 8 F-15 pilots up against 4 F-22 pilots in a simulated battle and in 6 sorties the outcome was 48-0 with the f-15 pilots conceding at 2-1 odds they had no chance of dropping a F-22! Thank the lord for GW and his push to get the second gen war systems online rather then the next in line garbage. Walter went on to say he actually felt sorry for the enemy that had to face this new jet. Smile God Bless America and lets keep our advantage so the world can continue to strive to reach our beacon!
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard this and I'm here in Houston. I've thought for years that the F-22 was an AWESOME platform. Besides the fact that she's a KILLER hot looking jet! The first jet to EVER have super cruise and attain MACH without using afterburners, which she doesn't even have because she doesn't need them. And it's also nearly radar invisible in a low altatide, low speed aspect with all the stealth tech she has on her. Not to mention being able to carry all major ordinance. I feel bad for our enemies who ever face the Raptor in combat. She's the most advanced Air Superiorty frame ever and at least a full generation and a half above anything that any U.S. adversary has, especially china. Thank GOD there will be a couple thousand of these in the AF arsenal, and it would be HELLA sweet if they can get some for the Carrier Air Wings to replace the F-14s as they're unfortunately retired in coming years. The 22 is an awesome plane and will be a fantastic badly needed platform to help protect us from our enemies, and add a lot of security and safety to our combat pilots and vastly reduce their chances of being shot down in comabt. That by itself is a good enough reason to buy a couple thousand of them! Smile Screw cost! Ask a pilot who is in the business of being shot at what he cares the cost is of the best possible air frame for him to go up and be shot at in. Smile
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rocket,

Was a great radio broadcast by MR. Cuningham for sure! Only bummer was he said that congress ripped the initial forecasted orders for the F-22 from a couple thousand to 300 and with the drop in order the price per jet shot up to 100 million per plane. I am hopeful with the latest simulated tests showing that nothing currently in the world can go air to air with this fighting platform that congress will change its mind and allocate more funding. Their was no doubt in Cunninghams mind that this jet should be replacing most of the current jets we are using.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBS, I think it was NOVA, did a two hour special on the awarding of the contract between Boeing and Lockheed. Its a great special, and if you can watch it, I would recommend.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Integrity for the info, will definately check this special out.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bump this great thread for the new members. Hope you do not mind mods.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the F-22 doesn't have after-burners? I would really doubt that. Also, note that the U.S. has never lost an F-15 in combat, and I don't think the Israelis have, either. What's that tell you about the F-22? Laughing
Bill Levinson
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: What do you call an American F-22 pilot who is jumped by five Islamofascist jet fighters?

A: "Ace."
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Type Twin-Spool, Augmented Turbofan"

I'm sure "Augmented" means afterburning. Looking at the flame extending from the nozzle in a lot of test pictures, I'm sure of it. A turbofan won't produce a visible flame from the side without using afterburner. This takes place in the open pipe section between the back of the high-temperature turbine section and the tailpipe, by injecting raw fuel into the exhaust gas flow.
http://www.aircraftenginedesign.com/F119pics.html

(Note the caption on this page)
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F-22 can reach supersonic speeds above Mach 1.4 without the use of an afterburner. I am sure what he meant was since it can go so fast without afterburner rarely would you need to use it. But it definately has an afterburner.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first jet to EVER have super cruise and attain MACH without using afterburners, which she doesn't even have because she doesn't need them.

Just correcting that part of the post, I didn't disagree with another word of it. I'm being kind of anal, I know. I'm like that, though. Smile
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Smile
Michmaddave
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top speed on afterburner is never mentioned, I suspect much higher than the F-15 Mach 2.5 given the much higher speed from which afterburner is started at (Mach 1.4)
Super cruise, "unusual" radar, and stealth will nullify any range advantages any Russian design will offer in the comming years. Recent excercises with F-15s against SU-27s (may have been simulated, but it was documented in Aviation Week and Space Tech mag) gave the "first shot" to the SU-27s. Not so with the F-22.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top speed is probably limited by the fact that it uses a lot of composites in the skin. I wouldn't think above Mach 2, if that. The SR-71 had to go to a titanium skin to reach Mach 3 and it was flying at 85,000 feet, where the heating effect due to air friction was reduced. It wouldn't surprise me that Mach 1.4 is top speed, but that's just an opinion.
Michmaddave
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read somehwere I cannot document, that it was 1.4, but I thought that might be a mistake. Who knows beyone a couple hundred pilots, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: