SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry, Combat V, and Adm. Boorda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JROTC
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Kerry, Combat V, and Adm. Boorda Reply with quote

When you read this, please remember Mr. Kerry's Silver Star w/ V

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerry200408271553.asp

Thank you all for efforts - I am always humbled.
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad, sad article. I honor your memory Adm Boorda.

What did John Kerry have to say at the time about the matter? Let us consult the Boston Herald of May 18, 1996:

"Veterans said yesterday that although they would take offense at someone falsely wearing a "V" combat pin, they couldn't see how this could drive Navy Adm. Jeremy Michael Boorda to suicide.

“Is it wrong? Yes, it is very wrong. Sufficient to question his leadership position? The answer is yes, which he clearly understood,” said Sen. John Kerry, a Navy combat veteran who served in Vietnam. "
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Mike Boorda. Back in the late 80s he was COMCRUDESGRU EIGHT in Norfolk. I was the HMC on the USS Josephus Daniels CG 27 and one of my crew died while we were out on a LEO ops off of Viegues Island. When we pulled into port Admiral Boorda came on board and talked to the crew. He then walked me back to sickbay and talked to me for a good hour to make sure that I was handling everything okay after losing a patient. I was very impressed with that.

He was a mustang, and a mix of old Navy and new Navy. A very honorable man and someone that earned respect from the people that served under him - unlike John Kerry. He was basically destroyed by the media.

Doc Ford
HMC (SW) USN
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

docford wrote:
He was basically destroyed by the media.

Doc...

Was it determined who in the media was responsible for outing the the award discrepancy?
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it that squirt from Newsweek? The one who originally spiked the Monica Lewinsky story before Drudge Report spilled it?
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concensus at the time was that it began with someone in the Clinton White House talking on "deep background" to several liberal media outlets. Back then there was bad blood between the Navy, the White House and Patsy Schroeder over the Tailhook episode. Adm. Boorda took the heat because he would not crack down on the "rampant sexism" in the Navy as much as the liberals wanted.

A competing theory was that it was started by sour grapes from someone in the aviator community who did not like what Boorda did.

Personally, I think the first theory is probably correct.

Doc Ford
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neverforget -

I believe you are correct.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Was it determined who in the media was responsible for outing the the award discrepancy?

In Chapter 11 of his book Hazardous Duty, David Hackworth takes credit for breaking the story of Boorda's medals. In fact, the first line of the chapter is:

Hackworth wrote:
Did I kill Admiral Boorda?

docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. See http://www.cnn.com/US/9705/16/hackworth/
J. Toy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that all this is out there.

I saw Hackworth weighing in on a show denouncing the swift boaters.

The lies that are put upon the people of this country by soundbites, innuendo, and visual references, etc. are only reinforced by the way that they vote.

How else could these dems trot out these pathetic losers time and time again and have the success that they have had?
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hughhewitt.com/

Comments on the story of Boorda's suicide and links to other good
information. Wink
Mark
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, Mike shot himself the day he was scheduled to endure a Hackworth meeting. Hackworth had been pushing on him.
While none of us will ever know what pulled his trigger, I suspect he felt he had let the troops down.
I have never forgiven Hackworth. The combat distinguishing devices on his NCM and NAM were no big deal. Not like he was wearing awards not earned (or awards earned through duplicity like someone we know).
As a mustang myself I was especially proud of Mike although knew him only briefly at the Navy War College.
hopeful
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

You are correct. It was that "hack" Hackworth. He went on for weeks about how he was going to get a very senior officer for wearing fraudulent ribbons.

The fact is that those V devices were arguably appropriate.

He destroyed an honorable man who committed 30 years of his life to the Naval Service. Rising from seaman to the most senior leadrership position is quite an unbelievable feat of leadreship in my book.

I use to really admire Hackworth. Now I can't stand to see or hear him because of what he did. I want to crawl through the TV or radio and wring the ever loving sh*t out of him. He has turned into just another talking head (isn't that an ironic naval term?) with an agenda.

He and Kerry must believe that people have no memory.

Why doesn't the MSM call them on it. Easy question: " Why could you do and say that about Adm. Borda and now take the position you do today?

Hey Swifties, here's an ad idea for you.

Put a Bronze Star with combat V device on the screen for a few moments and then overlay it with the following quote.

“Is it wrong? Yes, it is very wrong. Sufficient to question his leadership position? The answer is yes, which he clearly understood.” - John Kerry to the Boston Globe May 18, 1996 on the death of Adm. Borda.

Then fade to the photo of Johnny boy being decorated overlayed with the words "Stolen Honor!"

People will be calling the MSM to find out what it means and they will have to talk about it.
BillGremm
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article - I hope the swiftees can use his own words again in a tv ad. This maybe the last time honest men can be heard and make a difference with an electorate that has been dumbed down for the last 40 years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: