SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Broder Column

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim T.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: David Broder Column Reply with quote

This is the column that Bill Bennett and Bob Dornan have referred to in the last several days. Kerry always wants it both ways.

http://www.postwritersgroup.com/archives/brod0823.htm
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Broder wrote:
The ferocity of the dispute over John Kerry's Vietnam wounds and decorations -- and about his testimony when he decried American atrocities in that war -- is explainable only as the latest outburst of a battle that has been going on now for more than three decades. Neither Kerry nor his critics in the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth will yield an inch. On both sides, the unending culture war is as searing as it was when it first burst into flames.

What bunk. Culture war my a**. This is about an opportunist who played BOTH sides of the "culture war" like the political whore that he is to further his own crass and naked political ambition. Spare us the obfuscation David, but nice try.
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim T - thanks for posting this article reference....I heard it mentioned also; but, couldn't remember the info about it.

I've been thinking about the last sentence:

"The only thing that will save the country -- and end this breach in its leadership -- is that the boomers are now in their 60s. Another generation will eventually come to power and the country will finally be spared from constantly refighting these same battles. "

I think one really big lesson our country has still not learned in full from Vietnam is that we can disagree, squabble, etc while debating the necessity (or unnecessity) of a war action. But, once our government comes to a conclusion and signs a war resolution....and boots are sent to someplace afar.....we better hang on to each other....stay united....and support our troops. By "support our troops".....I mean to support their mission. It doesn't mean conversation can't still go on....it doesn't mean debates of what course of action to take next to win the next battle can't happen....well, you know what I mean.
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broder was right about one thing. I graduated in 1963...Almost all graduates went one or two way (Guys that is), College or Military..

Those who went to College became maggot protestors..

Those who went to Military became honorable folks...

We have hated each other philosophy, not necessarily the person, since.

Neither side will give an inch...

Elections cycles for the next 20 years will be exactly as this one...What makes this one so savage is that Veterans have had to wait this long to get our side of the story out...
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember tho, this is about KERRY, and Kerry walked both sides of the street. The fraud doesn't have an ounce of conviction, other than what he can do to elevate his own persona.

Broder's pitch is a ruse to evade the question and turn this into a cultural debate. It is NOTHING of the kind.
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"The only thing that will save the country -- and end this breach in its leadership -- is that the boomers are now in their 60s. Another generation will eventually come to power and the country will finally be spared from constantly refighting these same battles. "

Nit pic here but the boomers were born 1946 to 64, none have reached sixty yet, and many have at least 20 more years to go.

I agree with the comments that this is no culture war, this is about character, integrity, and truth, and the possibility that a despicable traitor may become president.

Zell Miller
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the quote that I think Dornan was referring to:

When he chose to make his Navy combat in Vietnam the principal metaphor for his dedication to public service and the proof of his toughness in a time of terrorism, he might have guessed that the skeptics would not remain silent. In a 2002 conversation,Kerry told me he thought it would be doubly advantageous that "I fought in Vietnam and I also fought against the Vietnam War," apparently not recognizing that some would see far too much political calculation in such a bifurcated record.
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on reading Broder's article--boy, he's STUPID.
Marilyn Quayle nailed it. Don't know why he quoted her, since he couldn't see anything there to interfere with his odd notion of the baby boomer generation as a couple of crabby old housecats that can't help taking a mindless swipe at each other whenever they pass. It would be insulting if it wasn't so far off base that it's not even in the right ballpark.

We do need to clear the air of the noxious poison gas clouds Kerry and his fellow travelers pumped out all those years ago to kill the America we love and they hate. Our military can do it, led by the Swiftees and the other Vietnam vets. New weapons, new tactics, old enemy. Same old cowardly, blustering, backstabbing, crybaby enemy. They're not half as strong as they try to appear, because when it comes to direct confrontation, all they can do is shriek, panic, and make the wrong move. If surrounded by the bright, hard, hot rays of the truth, they will melt away like an Iraqi army, and we'll just have to stomp down the insurrections from time to time.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

republicanveteran wrote:
Broder was right about one thing. I graduated in 1963...Almost all graduates went one or two way (Guys that is), College or Military..

Those who went to College became maggot protestors..

Those who went to Military became honorable folks...

We have hated each other philosophy, not necessarily the person, since.

Neither side will give an inch...

Elections cycles for the next 20 years will be exactly as this one...What makes this one so savage is that Veterans have had to wait this long to get our side of the story out...

I take umbrage with your characterization. I went to college and I served as an enlisted man in the Navy. Not all the intelligent boomers are stupid you know. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: