SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your story or memory of coming back to the world....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Your story or memory of coming back to the world.... Reply with quote

Like most of you, I spend a lot of time listening to local (and syndicated) talk shows on the radio. What keeps coming up is that anyone under the age of 40 can't really relate to or understand the impact that Kerry's testimony, and that of the other radicals, had on the honorable vets coming home. There are quite a few people in that catagory that read and post here. Would it be a really dumb idea if the people that experienced the time would have a seperate forum dedicated to "coming home stories". In one way, I think that the idea is kind of schmaltzy, on the other hand it could be an eye opening experience for the younger participants.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fire it up, Hans!

I'll change your subject line and let's hear some coming home stories.

There are many posted in the muster thread and throughout these boards - I can't count the number of times I've broke down and cried, reading them. Concentrating some into one thread could be a very good idea.

If nothing else, it will make people aware that their actions have had consequences that reached far into the future lives of their targets.

Good idea - let's see if it flies.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: what! Reply with quote

Let me get this straight, a forum just for the old rust buckets over 40? Dont sell the younguns short, I think we might have or soon to have some Generals doing our bidding that are under 40!. I think they're old enough to hear the grownups talk. Maybe I missed your memo, if I got it wrong im sorry?
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Navy, here goes:

I was attached to the bouy tender sevicing Vietnamese waters, although we saw a little action it was nothing compared to what most of the Viet Vets here saw. Point is, we were all painted with the same brush.

Was fortunate enough to arrive back home at Travis AFB avoinding the spitting insidents at SFO. Come from German heritage; you know how the Germans are "right or wrong my country". Well, very good freinds of my parents had a lovely daughter that was getting married to a young man from Germany (this was in '70). Since the young man had no freinds here, the parents of the daughter asked me to stand in as the best man - in full dress blues. There's a little hitch here, the daughter was attending UC Berkley at the time and all of her freinds were there. The wedding went fine. The reception was held in the parents back yard and a good time was being had by all. I was 20 and on the prowl; saw these two lovelies sitting at a table and decided to start a conversation; they were freindly enough. Soon a male Berkleyite joined the conversation and started asking me about my service; then started asking about my ribbons (no big deal, the normal three plus combat action and CG Unit Citation). Tried to down play the whole thing but he kept pressing; then he gave the girls a wink and came out with it: "How many babies did you kill"; girls just thought that this was the funniest thing they had ever seen (got a good chuckle out of it). Champagne and I never got along to well - it took about 30 seconds for me to have the ******* on his back in the center of the street in front of the house. Luckily the parents were true patriots; kicked the A/H out and proposed a toast to me and my service.

Now it's someone elses turn.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand it right, the idea is to get it across to our younger brothers and sisters just what it was that our older brothers and sisters came home to.

We (as a country) tried to fix it with GWI - the returnees got ticker-tape parades and invited VV's to join them.

But, the anti-military crap is starting up again. Time to warn of what's coming next.

Not a forum - just this thread. What happened to you when you came home from Vietnam?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for nailing the SOB, Hans! Wink

And for those airheaded girls... I hope someone, somewhere along the line has repaid them with major karmic repercussions.
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3, since I keep hearing that the youngens can't really know what it was like to come home in the wake of Kerry's performance I thought it might be a good idea to share the experiences. For some of you it could be kind of though; I didn't have it that hard as you can see by the above, but I hope you get the idea.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it guys. You got to be a 'boomer' to know or care about any of this stuff. The Gen Xers et.al. who've risen above their endoctrination to grasp the argument are few. Howling in the wilderness before we dodder off to alzheimers we may be but, it does feel good.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Let's face it guys. You got to be a 'boomer' to know or care about any of this stuff. The Gen Xers et.al. who've risen above their endoctrination to grasp the argument are few. Howling in the wilderness before we dodder off to alzheimers we may be but, it does feel good.

As we were watching TV yesterday afternoon:
I pointed out to my 29 year old daughter that the news media was begging to get off the VietNam issue.

She said "yes, we probably should".

About 2 minutes later I started laughing as this "discussion" on T.V. turned to potential hazards facing us in Iraq at the moment. She wanted to know what was so funny.

I told her that they were comparing things to the Tet Offensive, which was ridiculous on it's face.

She didn't know what the Tet Offensive was. Shocked

Last edited by jwb7605 on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being pushed across the tarmac on a guerney by two corpsman and protestesters were screaming "baby killer, war monger," etc. I looke up at one of the Corpsmen and said "you guys guys are real popular". He looked at me and said " their yelling at you Marine". That hurt. I went from honorable warrior to baby killer in a nano second. I will admit that somtimes at partys I would have to play the role of disafected Veteran or the chicks wouldnt have anything to do with you. I didnt like the war anymore than they did but never would desert my Corp or fellow vet. I took an oath and it almost cost me my life but I would die everyday had I not fullfilled it honorably. Semper Fi.
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

After I got out of the Navy in 1984, I worked at a liquid helium plant with a guy named Ernie who served in Vietnam in the Marine Corps. At one point, a Repair rep named John, came up from Texas to work on a piece of equipment in the plant. John had also been a marine in Vietnam, and he got to talking with Ernie over lunch one day. I got to sit and listen to these two guys reminisce and talk about their service in country. At one point John asked me why I hadn't gone to Vietnam. I told him I had only been 14 when it ended, and then jokingly said "but thanks for going for me." He stopped laughing and, with tears in his eyes and a catch in his voice said quietly "Nobody ever thanked me for that before." When I saw how my comment had effected him, I reached out and shook his hand and said " Well, it's about God d*mn time then.... Thanks for all you did." After that the subject changed (nobody wanted to cry in front of the other guys) and we got back to work. I've never forgotten what that comment meant to John and have taken every opportunity to thank Vietnam Vets for their service. God bless you all.

HOV1
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...I'm 39...made it into gen X by about 3 months. I had my own coming home story in 1991....oman to clark to yokosuka to san fran to DC. I was welcomed and greeted kindly the entire way. It is unimportant.

After reading a few of these posts - I'd like to say that I think people tend to misunderstand those of us in this generation (especially those slightly older) . Despite our slacker reputation - it is important to remember that we came of age during the Reagan 80s and are much different than it may appear. I actually believe we have much in common with the generation that fought WWII. With little faith in social programs or any great society (social security goes bankrupt the year I retire) - we tend to focus on hard work and taking care of our families. We don't have the time or money for worrying about silly liberal causes and when our country calls us to serve, we do so gladly. To us - Viet Nam was something we maybe saw on TV as kids - and the entire 60s was a time when hippies and other assorted spoiled kids who had everything, spent all their time smoking dope and acting like self indulgent babies (I know this isn't correct, of course). We are patriotic and we vote. We fought the last war (gulf I) and the current war as well.

We care a great deal about what John Kerry did and we hold it against him. Not so much for personal reasons, but because we know that character counts for something and character is something John Kerry lacks. Many of us are working hard to make sure our peers know about this and get out and vote. It's the best we can do - so don't sell us short. And as for the Viet Nam vet who got treated badly upon coming home - we could never make up for what happened to you except to stay the course and make sure it never happens again.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
bagpiper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Here goes Reply with quote

Ok,
I've posted the short version elsewhere, but here's the long version. I've actually thought about this before, as a book. I'd be willing to write it and edit it. I guess I'd need a 100 stories, and permission from each. And as an appendix, the DD214's of each of the participants....proof, I guess.

In Nov '73. After my "365 and a wake up"...Wink(4 months, geez...)

Left the Philipenes on the "Freedom Bird". Got about halfway to Hawaii and the rightmost engine goes 'boom', smoke trailing. A plane full of Vets. "Jesus H. Christ", there was virtual chaos on board. Screaming, crying, breaking down, banging on ****...I just sat there, staring at that engine. The pilots did whatever pilots do, and put it out. The stews went into overdrive coming down the isle, throwing those little bottles of booze to anybody that had a hand up. (Amazing they even had the stuff on a military charter.) We landed at Honolulu, and it took an 8 hour layover for them to replace the engine. Amazing.
Anyway, finally made it back to the 'World', got from Travis to San Fransisco airport, and was walking to my terminal, when I run into this crowd of nasty looking, loud and obnoxious a**holes, and one ran up to me and spit, right in my face. Well, back then, I was a pistol, I decked that SOB right there. I guess he wasn't expecting it cause he let out with a "you hit me!". Yup, and if he had gotten up I would have probably knocked him back down. The cops evidently were standing out of sight and saw everything. They ran up, grabbed us both by the arm to separate us. The one old cop who had me asked if I had a plane to catch. I said "yes sir". He said "go, we'll take care of this peice of sh**". They saw the whole thing and he had 'assaulted' me first. I just asked the cop "what did I do?" "Nuthin son, go catch your plane."
I thought that was that, and I grabbed my duffel and caught my flight back "home". I thought 'that was weird'. Well, little did I know, the weirdness was just beginning...
I got on the plane and took my seat, in the process, catching looks from passengers, not thinking about it consciously. When I sat down, the person sitting next to me excuses himself, and goes to talk to the stew...he came back and grabbed his stuff out of the overhead and sat up front somewhere else. Didn't think anything about it at the time, was just too damn excited to be on that plane!
The flight to North Carolina was uneventful thank God...only one connection at Atlanta and that was smooth. Then we landed at my hometown airport. I had sworn if I got home in one peice I would kiss the ground when I got off the plane, I did, amoungst stares...my family was waiting for me at the gate and they just broke out in laughter. Thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen....
My mom, God Bless her soul, asked what if I was in the mood for some BBQ, "hell yeah!" I replyed,"and a Mountain Dew!". So they took me to a restaurant. I was so happy I was oblivious to what was going on around me. When we were seated in the restaurant, SEVERAL people picked up their food and removed themselves to another table....did I relate this to myself? Still wearing my greens? (You had to wear the uniform in order to travel 'military standby' back in those days, don't know if that still holds or not...) My mother was a proud woman, and she was suddenly pissed about something. She got up and walked over to the table of one of those folks. I didn't hear what she said to them except for three words that were loud enough for me to catch. She said "....rude!", they replyed something about "blah blah...baby killer". Well, it hit home, suddenly, with force. It was ME! They didn't want to sit next to ME!
Outwardly, nobody would have known I was devastated, beyond hurt, beyond compreshension.....it was like a knife driven into my heart. And yet, it wasn't over with yet.
We went home, I got my old room back. And decide to call some of my old highschool buds and have a beer...we did, and then, my best freind asks me "So, did you kill any babies while you were over there?".
I just looked at him, then at the ground and just said, fuming, "naw man, I never killed anybody, I just did my job.". I then begged off, as 'tired', and went home, to sulk and get drunk.
I haven't spoken to him in 30+ years, and have no intention of doing so. He's too stupid to apologize, and I'm too obstinate to care.
I was drunk and high for 20 years. The last 10, I like to think I had gotten 'over it', then this horses a**, Kerry, drags it all up again.

Welcome home.

DMLambert
ex-SP4 '72-'75
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: genx Reply with quote

Kudos to tony!
The batton has been handed, Im comfortable with our new defenders and would never sell them short. I see people my own age who havnt the slightest idea whats happening. No news ,no radio,no newspaper,the're like sheep.
I wish they would turn on the tv today, then they could see john kerrys alma-mater marching around Madison Square. I dont have any problems with genx, but I do with gen me-me-me-everythings for free!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home, indeed, bagpiper.

Keep it straight, keep it focused. You can have a part in taking down one of the main instigators of this movement that created the environment to which you and your brothers and sisters returned.

And after this organization is disbanded and moved on to other pursuits - like setting the history books straight on Vietnam - you can be part of helping to educate the next generations.

It must not ever happen again.

May it never again be permissible to slander an entire generation of soldiers of the greatest Armed Forces on the planet.

May your reputation as warriors, healers and helpers be rightfully established after all this time.

You have many, many more vets standing with you, today - older and younger.

Yes, welcome home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: