SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for a Swifty re:The New Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Question for a Swifty re:The New Soldier Reply with quote

While reading "The New Soldier", I came across a statement by Lt. Wade R. Sanders that I don't understand.

Lt. Wade R. Sanders
Coastal Division 13
"Black Cat Division"
NAVFORV
May '68-May '69

In July 1968 I was in a swift boat operation patrolling the mouth of the Bo-De River-a known VC area. At the time we were operating under the standard naval rules of engagement. There was a specific rule stating we were not to fire unless fired upon.

In every comment that I have heard or read, Kerry always refers to operating in "free fire zones". This description by Lt. Sanders is not a free fire zone. What was the SOP or did it vary within your AO?

Thanks
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding from reading that regardless of the zone, they could only fire if fired upon. The difference was that in free-fire zones, they did not have to get permission to return fire before doing so.

I'm sure that someone who was there can give a better answer.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So called "free fire" zones were always subject to standard Rules of Engagement except for one little detail. You didn't have to call the boss for permission to open fire if dealing with clearly identified flight or avoidance risk that wasn't shooting at you. If a clearly armed party was fleeing they were also considered fair game.

How we normally applied it was to attempt to chase down the fleeing sampan for a search and seizure operation. If they started shooting we shot back. The bulk of such contacts were with fishermen either out to late or to early. We'd check them out, warn them not to violate curfew, and let them go unless their documents were screwed up in some way and then they'd be detained and turned over to the South Vietnamese Government.

This generally applied only from Dusk to Dawn and the rules were set by the South Vietnamese Government and communicated to the local population. You could never just shoot at anything you wanted to as the poodle has claimed.

Last edited by ASPB on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
redneckvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ASPB. Identical to our ROE and I never saw it abused.

Kerry has always used the term "free fire zone" to imply, as you said, kill anthing that moves. He has consistently used it to perpetuate the myth of atrocities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: