SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington Post/Michael Dobbs Online Q&A - Comment here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Washington Post/Michael Dobbs Online Q&A - Comment here Reply with quote

Please get your questions in now.

You can go to: http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/04/politics_dobbs083004.htm

The more questions focusing on...

-Form 180
-Kerry's activity after he returned

....the better when dealing with Dobbs. He is receptive on this point. If our side is more rational and reasonable than the Kerry side, the better it will go for us.

Posts calling Kerry a traitor, Dobbs a liberal and dealing with highly disputed issues will only help Kerry.

Admin note: Hat tip to ccr for his timely notification and apologies for stealing his topic

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
gregrohlik
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: a follow-up please! Reply with quote

I posed the first question he answered about his work being used by the kerry campaign as a clear refutation of all the Swift Vets claims. He admitted that some charges still stand. Someone please ask him which claims he feels are justified!
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a verrrrrrrrrrry interesting chat.

He is being fair to both sides here.

Quote:
Michael Dobbs: As you see, both sides are using my reporting to buttress their claims and arguments, so at least nobody can accuse me of excessive partisanship. I did not know of Jim Russell's existence when I wrote my story about the Bronze star incident, and was unable to talk to Robert Lambert. I hope to return to this subject at some point to update readers on what I have learned since the original piece appeared.

One really cool part of this chat is that up to this point, the Kerry posters have been pretty shrill and insane. The pro-SBVT posters have been very rational (except for one bizarre one about Al Queda).

Dobbs is treating SBVT with a great deal of respect and credibility.

gregrohlik
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: why is it? Reply with quote

Why is it that when Kerry is uncovered in a discrepency, it is "poetic license" or, in this chat with Dobbs, "an honest mistake"?

Can they be any more clear in their bias?
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Need some more to the point factual questions Reply with quote

Most of the questioners are hammering Dobbs for following the story at all, and the SBVfT are taking hits. Sad

Example:

Quote:
It appears that the Washington Post and Mr. Dobbs in particular continue to revel in the Swift boat story. Why is that Mr. Dobbs -- have you nothing else to report? Actually, this election is between a draft dodger and a Vietnam veteran. Is this not so?

Anyone who reads the WashPo knows that Dobbs is the only one there even remotely interested in checking out the SBVfT story. The editorial position is that SBVfT should shut up and go home.

And since when is serving in the Guard "draft-dodging" anyway? What a load. I know people who really draft-dodged, they went to Canada.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: why is it? Reply with quote

gregrohlik wrote:

Can they be any more clear in their bias?

I can't disagree with you more.

Look, Dobbs has perfect MSM credentials. He is giving SBVT more respect and credibility than any other MSM reporter (not columnist -- reporter).

Because of those credentials, every point he credits SBVT on is extremely valuable -- please note the way the Kerry supporters heads are exploding during this chat.

Here are a couple of quotes that shows he is playing this one like a ref not a Kerry cheerleader:

Quote:
Michael Dobbs: I think that both Kerry and Bush should grant full independent access to their military records. As far as I have been able to ascertain, neither man has yet done so. I think the press should continue to do its job, namely conduct a fair and dispassionate inquiry into the holes in the records. I think that voters should make up their own minds on which candidate to vote for on the basis of their entire record--past, present, and future.

And....

Quote:

Michael Dobbs: I think a lot of the reporting--particularly on the TV talk shows--has degenerated into partisan slanging matches that does not illuminate very much. This is a story that cannot be resolved by 20-second soundbites. I am in favor of more reporting, and less bloviating.

His "honest mistake" line may be wrong and he may not understand the significance -- but he is being fair. Something that is far worse for Kerry than SBVT. Who else in the MSM has done any serious examination of Kerry post war?

ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOBBS SAYS SIGN FORM 180!

Quote:
Dublin, Calif.: Seems to me that the Swift Boat Vets are mostly pushing for Senator Kerry to sign a Standard Form 180 so the navy can release all his military record.

Do you feel this is a resonable request?

Michael Dobbs: I think that Sen. Kerry should allow independent access to his military records. If this involves signing a SF 180, as it appears to do, I think that he should do this.

Washington, D.C.: Mr. Dobbs, let me begin by thanking you for doing such a fair and detailed job on this story. Much of your reporting has been hailed by both sides. Much has been criticized by both sides. That tells me you are doing a great job.

Here is my question. John Kerry's campaign manager (I think his name is Mehan) keeps going on TV and saying that Kerry has released all of his military and medical records. However, he has clearly not signed form 180 and there are some important records not publicly available.

Why is Kerry being allowed to get away with stonewalling on this and how come his campaign manager is getting away with simply not being honest?

Michael Dobbs: See my answer to the previous question. As you point out, Kerry spokesmen have repeatedly said that he has put his entire military record on the web (johnkerry.com). If this is so, I cannot see why they should have an objection to an independent researcher (myself or someone else) taking a look at the original file. Same argument applies to the Bush campaign

The second question is mine. It clear we had a number of people on this board get great questions in on this chat!

noc
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dublin, Calif.: Seems to me that the Swift Boat Vets are mostly pushing for Senator Kerry to sign a Standard Form 180 so the navy can release all his military record.

Michael Dobbs: I think that Sen. Kerry should allow independent access to his military records. If this involves signing a SF 180, as it appears to do, I think that he should do this.

He answered my question. This is good.
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Whoohoo! Reply with quote

From the chat:
Quote:

This should be trumpeted with the headline:

Washington Post Reporter Says Kerry Should Sign SF 180

Edit: Drat you guys all type faster than me! Confused
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its over. Congrats to you folks who got questions in, Dobb's closing comment says he got over 400 questions (check it out BTW, he does have a sense of humor).

Quote:
quack, quack, quack
openfish24
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: WP Dobbs chat Reply with quote

All in all pretty even handed.

You could see how vitriolic the questions from the Kerry supporters were.

Interesting to see how angry they are.

Repeated over and over was the message "release your records".

Also he said he was working on some kind of conclusions regarding the bronze start incident. Now, that I can't wait to see. If he continues to be even handed Kerry is not going to like his conclusions.

bartow
usmc 7580

Last edited by openfish24 on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it before I will say it again.... Dobbs is as fair and even as you can expect investigative journalist. He is OK.

He is asking both for the Journals and for him to sign form 180...his is not going to jump all over the Combat V without the evidence...but you can tell he is eyeing it.

Last edited by integritycounts on Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
FredRum
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Michael Dobbs: See my answer to the previous question. As you point out, Kerry spokesmen have repeatedly said that he has put his entire military record on the web (johnkerry.com). If this is so, I cannot see why they should have an objection to an independent researcher (myself or someone else) taking a look at the original file. Same argument applies to the Bush campaign

What, exactly, has President Bush not allowed the release of with respect to his military record?
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccr and noc: Well-done! High-fives to you both!

Enjoy your 15 kilobytes of fame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: