SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RASSMAN'S 3/13/69 PURPLE HEART AWARD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it VERY hard to believe that Rassmann would have received a Purple Heart in that action that day and NEVER had mentioned it in the press.

There is something very strange going on here.

Perhaps he was telling family and friends a different story over the years about how he got his purple heart?

What does the Army after action report look like? What version of events does it have?

I honestly think this is the break in the 3/13/69 action if we can follow up on it. What is the story behind Rassmann's purple heart?

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that Rassman earned a PH at all, let alone that day. And I know the Kerry campaign, they would have mentioned Rassman's PH over and over again if they were aware of it.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
ARW3A
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://www.vnsfvetakerry.com/jim_rassmann.htm

Quote:
There are a lot of angles to the Kerry saga. I doubt anyone gets to every question, but some are compelling to me. The question that goes begging today is why was Rassman there at all?

I don't believe SF will take an official position on this, so I'll post what I have heard. I have never bad mouthed fellow SFers before, but I do have these comments from some sources I trust.

Rassman was reportedly the Asst S-1, which means he was the assistant admininistrative officer. Not exactly a key sought after job for an SF officer LOL. In fact I don't recall knowing of any official Asst S-1 officer slots in the field. Jobs like that are created to keep idiots off the teams.

He was supposedly in charge of awards and decorations (A&D) in a field unit. SF didn't issue many, so it was hardly a taxing assignment. The man doing that job at SF HQ RVN was a Sergeant. Giving it to an officer in a field unit as a primary duty is beyond unusual.

He was probably AWOL when he was with Kerry. At best someone may have said, OK go, just to get him out of the way.

My comments and speculation.

If Rassman was an A&D clerk, his knowledge of how to get awards approved was probably very interesting to Kerry. Since reports indicate he wrote the citation for Kerry's SS, I believe this speculation is well-founded.

And how does an SF LT fall out of a 50' boat? I have been through days and weeks of small boat training and drills, we never had anyone fall out.

Rassman says he was under fire. Anytime anyone was shooting within 50 yds of me I always assumed I was the target until I could prove otherwise.Rassman could not do that while in the drink. I will take the word of the other boat crews that there was no enemy fire at all. They had the best view to assess the situation. My mind keeps going back to Rassman's A&D job. He knew if there was no enemy fire there would be no award citations.
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF366TFW wrote:
It is a public document. Perhaps it would behoove us to "sanitize" the document before release to media.

Do you suppose this is a "Rice in the Fanny" wound from earlier in the day? I'm betting that when the medical turns up it is for shrapnel in the butt!

I would sure like to see the recommendation for this award! It would be interesting to know how it compares to the others. That is probably why Rassman has been quiet about his own award....he didn't want the comparison made!
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rassman had been wounded, Kerry would surely have mentioned that in his BS nomination just to further emphasize that he had saved a life.

And, yes, what WAS he doing aboard? As far as I can tell, there were no other SF embarked. Was he invited along for a joyride by someone who could use his admin talents?

Finally, the crux of the matter is I donīt see a life being saved here. I assume SF are well-trained in water survival skills. He shucked his ruck and rifle and I presume heīs treading water just fine. There is no enemy fire. There are no sharks in the water. Heīs not wounded. Kerry simply helped him aboard a high gunwale craft. They had plenty of time to lower a boarding ladder to him. Remember that the other boats spent quite a bit of time salvaging PCF3.

Discredit Rassmanīs PH and automatically Kerryīs BS and PH become suspect.

Dane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: