SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how do you carry a loaded M-16?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Just how do you carry a loaded M-16? Reply with quote

Does anyone else have the same concerns or laughability about the display of
sloppiness by Kerry in carrying the M-16 in all of his "home movies?"

I NEVER saw anyone carry a M-16 solely by the "pistol grip" that way.

Not only is it dangerous to do so, but displays a serious lack of understanding
of how to care for, miantain and operate that most basic of weapons.

That, plus the pristine appearance of his "outfit," makes one wonder if he was
ever in direct combat at all Certainly not debarked away from his boat.

Watcha you guys thunk ?

A Swifty who carried his M-16 either by the handle or stock/ barrel guard combo

blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: got to look good! Reply with quote

He was trying so hard to look natural he forgot the basics! Im sur the area had been swept, I wonder who his make-up artist was?
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us swabbies never carried rifles much.
I think I taught my kid well, though -- USMC polished that off.
(with respect to "who would photograph themselves" though, I humbly offer:
http://adams22.homeip.net/digitalpics/AFB_Marine/019_16A.JPG

I doubt if he will use this if he ever runs for president Laughing

Oh yes: I forgot to add: I also don't think the rounds fit the weapon.
maybe he will run for president! Laughing Laughing
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: snapshot Reply with quote

Nic pic, I couldnt help but notice how you held the piece. even an old swabby knew that! Wink
James Rebe'l
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note also in the Sennott report he called it a "gun"..............now what would my DI say?
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Fun Reply with quote

Oh, sumpin about "one is for fun......................"?

Semper Fidelis

Amos.
geotilman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: How do you carry a m-16 Reply with quote

7605 I was on one river or another for 2 years in Vietnam. You made the statement most Swabbies don't carry a Rifle much. In Vietnam all swabbies carried weapons or had one in a corner if they were not on a Ship they were issured one.I grew up around guns When I went into the military about the only thing any DI could teach me was the diffrence between a Rifle & a Gun or maybe positions .The reason I posted this I saw your profile and I saw Colorado I am from S Colorado not many country boys in the mid west were any diffrent than me in my generation. I did notice the John Wayne way he carried his M-16 kinda just strolled by the Hootch in front of the Camera made sure he had a Jacket on and his Pot was on straight. Retired USN
Michael Wright
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this aint about him and he's not strictly carrying it but still makes me laugh Smile

http://www.tincher.to/gore_nam.htm
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: OMG Reply with quote

Al Gore was lucky and so was or we wouldn't have the internet. I also saw that film of Kerry in "action". My brother who was never in the service asked me right off why he carries his rifle that way. I explained that he was in the Navy. He just said "oh".
jwbarden
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangling his weapon that way, he is likely to blow his foot off (PH #4?) and is very unlikely to get it into action on time when required. Definitely enshrining himself as a REMF.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former forward observer, who has been deployed with both cavalry and infantry, as well as a stint at Benning; at the 75th, I have seen the M16 carried in every way imaginable.

Myself, I used to stash mine somewhere safe, so I could concentrate on FO'ing. Why they didn;t issue us pistols, I still don't know... Rolling Eyes
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I served with a sailor who carried an M-16 and was on his third consecutive tour in country repairing the boats. Another sailor had disassembled his own M-16 and was cleaning it with several of us around the barracks area. The first sailor walked by and picked up an important looking piece off of the table and hid it behind his back while the other one was reassembling his M-16. After it was reassembled, the first sailor asked the second if it worked alright. The second replied, “Yes, why?” The first said, “Are you sure?” The second again replied, “Yes, why? The first whipped out the important looking part and said, “What is this then? The second replied, “The cleaning rod.” The first sailor was forever after nicknamed “Cleaning Rod”.
ron aiello
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I looked so good when I was out on an operations in Vietnam, and yes we would have never carried our M16 by the mag. Most of my comrades would have had a makeshift sling to carry their M16s.

These home made movies of Kerry are exactly what they are "homemade".

Supposily Kerry and his men would go back to an area where they had earlier contact with the VC and play act for the camera.

Well I don't know about you but I surely would not go back into an area that I earlier had contact with the VC so I could have myself photographed. That would be totally careless.

My name is Ron Aiello and I was one of the first Marine Scout Dog Teams to go into Vietnam 1966-67
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do you carry a m-16 Reply with quote

geotilman wrote:
7605 I was on one river or another for 2 years in Vietnam. You made the statement most Swabbies don't carry a Rifle much. In Vietnam all swabbies carried weapons or had one in a corner if they were not on a Ship they were issured one.I grew up around guns When I went into the military about the only thing any DI could teach me was the diffrence between a Rifle & a Gun or maybe positions .The reason I posted this I saw your profile and I saw Colorado I am from S Colorado not many country boys in the mid west were any diffrent than me in my generation. I did notice the John Wayne way he carried his M-16 kinda just strolled by the Hootch in front of the Camera made sure he had a Jacket on and his Pot was on straight. Retired USN

I was on an Aircraft Carrier. I may have "the ribbons", but I never saw the country.
The Navy had wisdom enough not to let us run around the flight deck with rifles!

I personally grew up in Northeast Nebraska, and shot squirrels with a .22 for food, and routinely brought home enough pheasants in the winter that we got sick of eating them. I know what you mean about "growing up in the Midwest", though. Watching the surfer boys try to qualify during boot camp was funny.

It might interest you to know that the youth pictured got his Boy Scout "rifle shooting" merit badge at the NRA range here in Colorado at age 12 with the good ole M1 Garand. He must have weighed all of 90 pounds at the time, if even that.
A guy in the Scout Troop, on the second day of the course, put enough foam rubber and duct tape on his shoulder so he could finish.
And he finished, and qualified.
A couple of days later, his shoulder was the prettiest shades of blue and purple I ever saw. The last time he was home on leave, he built his own .50 caliber black powder -- we used to shoot those together, too. I've gotten 3 deer that way ... the others were with a bow and arrow.

Remember, though, the difference between the Navy and the Boy Scouts was that the Boy Scouts had adult leadership. Very Happy

Doggone it, you've gone and made me miss him again!
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: andy of mayberry Reply with quote

Im sorry your experience in the navy didnt compare to popin squarels while they stand still looking at you. You had a choice to go UDT or SEALS didnt you? Maybe you should have stayed in the boy scouts, heck who knows by now you could of been a bear or an eagle-maybe even scout master! The sky's the limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: