SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the buzz in MA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb wrote:
Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
the fact that he was never in the military is the key to his opinion about this site.

I was simply trying to point out what others from MA thought. You seem to fault him because he was not in the military, so his opinion is not vaild.

No, not that it isn't valid. Everyone's opinion is valid to one degree or another.

However, for instance, my opinion on Humvees would be considerably less valid than that of someone who has to rely on them or works on them or whatever.

I was simply saying that the fact that he wasn't every in the military gives him a different perspective on the "emotion" that he sees on this site.
NayVBrat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the election is over, there is always hope.

I am from Tennessee and in case anyone wasn't paying attention in the 2000 election Laughing our state voted for Bush in spite of the fact that Gore is from Tennessee!

I doubt that TN is as heavily democratic as MA, but we swing back and forth between parties. Alot of TN Republican office holders have gotten the boot (for good reason, though) but I've only seen 1 Kerry bumper sticker around town (Memphis) and a ton of Bush stickers/yard signs.

I imagine if they had any ABB stickers and yard signs...I'd see more of those, but noone is thrilled to announce they are supporting Kerry. Maybe they will just stay home and not vote. Very Happy
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was simply saying that the fact that he wasn't every in the military gives him a different perspective on the "emotion" that he sees on this site.

ok, let me clarify: it was his opinion that the emotion that is manifested by "name calling and the like" (his words) detracts from the argument/discussion on the message boards.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb wrote:
ok, let me clarify: it was his opinion that the emotion that is manifested by "name calling and the like" (his words) detracts from the argument/discussion on the message boards.

And he's entitled to his opinion.

As for the name calling, we try to keep it mild and to a minimum except when it comes to John Kerry, himself. Just because you don't see our work at keeping the vitriol level down doesn't mean that we don't spend a lot of time at it.

If you're a vet who had to come home to the maelstrom of hatred led and scripted by Kerry et al, you have a right to be "emotional" in your statements.

If you're someone who understands some of what these vets went through with all the KGB-born anti-war rhetoric, you're likewise inclined to react emotionally.

It may be that vets are more likely to feel and know what it was for our Vietnam-era brothers and sisters, but I sure see a lot of civilians who understand that some "emotional" stuff comes into play when you start dredging up memories of that time.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
nickb wrote:

And he's entitled to his opinion.

As for the name calling, we try to keep it mild and to a minimum except when it comes to John Kerry, himself. Just because you don't see our work at keeping the vitriol level down doesn't mean that we don't spend a lot of time at it.

If you're a vet who had to come home to the maelstrom of hatred led and scripted by Kerry et al, you have a right to be "emotional" in your statements.

If you're someone who understands some of what these vets went through with all the KGB-born anti-war rhetoric, you're likewise inclined to react emotionally.

It may be that vets are more likely to feel and know what it was for our Vietnam-era brothers and sisters, but I sure see a lot of civilians who understand that some "emotional" stuff comes into play when you start dredging up memories of that time.

I have noticed that the mods have stepped up the work on keeping the vitrol level down, and I think it will help the cause in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: