SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public's view of Swift Boat group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Public's view of Swift Boat group Reply with quote

Yesterday a friend of mine came over, and as I am wont to do, I asked him if he was going to vote for Kerry.

With this guy, it was an honest question ... he's not partisan at all.

He told me he was voting for Bush, because of Kerry's credibility issues as far as he was concerned.

I said "You know the Swift Boat guys are telling the truth, don't you?"

He said "Oh, yes. So does everybody else. The mainstream press just can't cover that up."
He said it wasn't the Purple Heart or Medal issues that bothered him ... although he'd verified the "Combat V" issue after hearing 'that General on the radio'.
It was more the after VietNam actions which told him about Kerry.

I'm wondering whether that's prevalent throughout the country, especially with "swing voters" in the experience of SBVFT members, and what those people actually think the real problems are.

I think it might be instructive on where to focus Although the founders of this group seem to have a pretty good handle on things, I'm thinking this kind of information might be useful, too.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be fairly prevalent. My wife works in a dialysis unit here in Michigan and not long ago the talk from patients and staff was all how Bush needs to go and how they were voting for Kerry. Over the past few weeks I guess there are a lot more questions being asked about Kerry's credentials then before and a lot of these people seem to be changing their minds or at least they aren't as certain as they were before.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and had my haircut this morning, my Barber is a Korea Vet who is heavily involved in Veterans Issues and has a strong affinity for those Awarded medals for Valor.
His expresed opinion Kerry is that he is a phoney and a liar. He had in the shop this morning another Veteran of Korea who is highly decorated and the stories he tells of his time there are that of Hell on Earth. He had some issues with the whole controversey, but he was more focused on his dislike of the President.(Called him a felon for his drunk driving arrest) I mentioned Kerrys trip to Paris where he met with members of the N. Vietnames Negotiaing Team, and he was shocked as he had never heard of that. Talk about Criminal activity!
I guess the point is many people are starting to see the reality of the situation now. Kerry made this bed of nails a few decades back and now it is his time to actualy sleep in that bed.
Jerry M
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Shift focus to Kerry'e enemy sympathizing and traitorous act Reply with quote

The issue of Kerry's awards and service in general while in Vietnam can be debated until well after the November election. What is not debatable are the facts of Kerry's conduct as an enemy sympathizer and the effect his actions had on his fellow servicemen and POW's. If the focus is shifted almost entirely to this part of his history, I believe he will be toast. Many Americans, as has been pointed out, are not fully aware of the traitorous nature of what Kerry did in 1971. The Swift vets should stop running ads about whether Kerry was in Cambodia for Christmas, which is a tidbit of information that is not going to capture the attention of too many Americans, and concentrate their resources on what all Americans can understand and that is when a person betrays their country and fellow comrades in arms. Chris Matthews and the rest of Kerry's media sychophants cannot smear veterans when the undisputed truth is looking them in the eye. Let's get off the "he said", "he said" and move on to the next phase which is Kerry's VVAW activities.

I would recommend, however, that perhaps in a month or so as more contradictions and back pedaling can be found, that a press conference be called and an ad be run summarizing this. Right now, the main stream media is doing everything it can to discredit the Swift vets by telling the American people that all the Navy official records are on Kerry's side.
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

I believe so far that swiftees have done a bang up job so far. whatever strategy they follow next i bet will also be bang up. But I must add that i travel all over the country and I am hearing a lot of questioning from many people.
Ms. Soprano
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad I work with the public, meet with and talk with anywhere from 50 to 80 people daily, and what I am hearing from the public is this: With politics both sides lie, both sides try to make the other look bad, no campaign is run with honor, people don't know what to believe, we have confused masses! Most believe, at least the ones I have spoke with that the SwiftBoaters are all Republicians who are only out for Bush and not about Truth but about making sure Bush is re-elected, they believe it has nothing to do with Kerry being a liar, that you all are lying to re-elect Bush.
These are not my thoughts this is just what I am hearing on the street. I work the streets as an anti-crime/anti-drug activist.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I work the streets as an anti-crime/anti-drug activist.

Not too sure exactly what that is, MsSoprano, but maybe it's the people you are talking to. People without cable would be apt to feel that way since they are being spoonfeed what the leftstream media wishes them to hear.

My suggestion is to get a copy of the book Unfit for Command, read it and see what you think then. Maybe even tell those you come in contact with, to give them another view than leftstream media feeds them.
RichardP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some maintenance for homeowners, and I was in a house today, and the Matt Lauer interview was on.

She looked at the TV, and said, "Shut up George." I was blown away.

SO I asked her, are you voting for Kerry?

She said yes, and I then asked her about the controversy, she said that the press had proven that the Swiftboat vet's had lied.

I asked her if she had actually researched it herself, or were just taking their word for it?

She said that she had not researched it, I told her that she had better, because the press was lying to her.

THen I asked her why she would vote for someone that called her father, a vietnam veteran, a war criminal. She was clueless.

Hopefully, I made an impact, if she won't vote for Bush, well, too bad, but if she decides NOT to vote for Kerry, that's almost as good as voting for Bush as far as I am concerned.

The Swifties are making an impact, keep on Kerry about his after action record, his lying in front of the Senate, and his war crime allegations.

He can't fight those, and the press cannot lie for him about it either, there is WAY too much out there for him to run from it.

GO SWIFTIES!!!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the fact that Bill O'Reilly's own members voted 62% in favor of continuing Swifts' stories despite BOR saying that he was sick of the stories spoke volumes.

The fact that the book hit #1 on the NYT best seller list in its SECOND week speaks another few.

If people read this book, they won't be confused any more. Wink
Porsche944
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how accurate my observations are, but I live with two die-hard 'Kerryites" (my 3rd wife and step-son) whose only desire is to see GWB standing in an unemployment line.

Both of them saw "Slick Willy" as their knight-in-shining-armor, and Monica as just a cheap hussy looking to put another notch on her bed post.

When Gore lost Florida these two went on for days about how the election was rigged, and how the country was going to hell in a hand basket because of it.

What troubles me, and I've said this numerous times since 9/11, is that the country as a whole does not have a clue about how to deal with people like Bin Laden or Saddam, and they don't have the stomach to accept the actions of those few who do know what needs to be done.

The impression I get from these two is that Bush was "woofing" about Saddam and had no business sending troops to Iraq without the go-ahead from the French, Germans and Russians.

What neither one is willing to discuss is the fact that these three countries had their hands in Saddam's cookie jar. They didn't want anyone to stop the gravy train, so there was no way GWB was going to get their consent to invade Iraq, regardless of how many times he went to the U.N.

Then there's the WMD thing. OK, so we haven't found any WMDs in Iraq, who gives a rats a$$? Saddam should have been taken out back in '91, but our "friends" the Saudis didn't want a non-Arab "victory", so we stopped short. Now, instead of having a free and peacefull Iraq, we're up to our necks in crap, again.

Getting back to our other "friends", France, Germany and Russia: We gave the French their country back twice, we rebuilt Germany, and we're helping the Russians see the benefits of a capitalistic society.

One would think that our generosity would be remembered and returned when the time came, but when the chips were down, all we got was a knife in the back.

And next is the U.N.

My two "adversaries" see the U.N. as this mechanism for world peace and prosperity, when in actuallity it is nothing more than a pit of vipers that is bent on maintaining the world's political and economic status quo. After all, if all is right with the world, what do we need the U.N. for?

Finally there's Mr. Kerry.

Well, here again my two antagonists see Mr. Kerry as the answer to all of their prayers for the simple fact that he is running against Bush. It doesn't matter that Kerry was spanwed in the same liberal swamp that gave us the "Killer of Chappaquidick," or that he has more flip-flops than a beach on Labor Day weekend, or that he consistantly voted to gut the military and intelligence communities, or that he slandered thousands of Vietnam vets, or that his idea of a "strong and respected America" is based on having a French leash around our collective necks.

What they don't see is a flip-flopping, self promoting, liberal Democrat rich-kid who wants to "restore respect for America" by polishing certain European knobs.

From where I sit it appears that the reason so many people want Bush out of office is because he actually took a stand and was willing to back his word with troops instead of another useless U.N. resolution or a cruise missle strike.

The bottom line is that our people have been lulled into a false sense of security by the constant barage of "Kumbya" that spews from the left, and unfortunately I have this feeling that its going to take another incident similar to 9/11 before we get with the program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: