SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info I'd like to have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabigkahuna
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Info I'd like to have Reply with quote

I would like certain basic info for future reference. Maybe it has been provided, but I haven't seen it.

I'd like a list of every crewmember assigned to Kerry's two boats. Basically, it would include the boat number, when Kerry took over and left, plus each crewmember and when they joined the boat and left.

It would also be nice to know about the rest of their service in vietnam - especially any experience on swift boats or other combat assignments prior to jointing Kerry's crew.

Right now, I'm confused because, after leaving out people like Rassmann who wasn't an actual member of the 5 man crew (plus Kerry), the numbers don't seem to add up.

I keep hearing about there being 10 crewmembers total, but that would require that the crew on each of the two boats never changed. But apparently they did.

So, anybody have this info or can tell me where it can be found? It would make it easier to evaluate the comments each crewmember makes.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if muster rolls for the crew are available in the boat logs, but the boat logs probably contain the most complete record of the various events for Kerry's activities.

Logs from 1941 through 1973 are in the Modern Military Branch, National Archives, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park MD 20740-6001 [telephone (301) 837-3510]. These logs are open for research. Requests for research appointments, and inquiries concerning log information, should go to the National Archives office holding logs from the time period of interest.

The log for every boat Kerry was on should be there.

I don't know if they are available via the web or not, you should check them out.
dabigkahuna
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Found this... Reply with quote

This website page shows a crew list with lots of info - including service dates - but I don't know if I can trust it because, if you check it out, the boat assignments often seem to be wrong. For example, search for Kerry's name and it only shows one boat assignment and the wrong one at that!

http://swiftboats.net/
Abbey November
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unknown reason, that website was sanitized of Kerry's presence about 18 months ago. It seemed strange at the time.
dabigkahuna
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbey November wrote:
For some unknown reason, that website was sanitized of Kerry's presence about 18 months ago. It seemed strange at the time.

When I checked it, it had Kerry listed, but, like I said, boat assignments were all messed up for him and others. Just makes it hard to know whether the other data - such as time served on a boat - is wrong too.
Abbey November
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a whole lot more listed there 18 months ago.
harrywat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: What about Kerry's ship assignment off Vietnam? Reply with quote

The fact that he never mentions that duty makes me wonder why.

Anyone got info in this area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: