SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Form 180: Has Bush signed one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ijon Tichy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Form 180: Has Bush signed one? Reply with quote

I've seen it claimed that President Bush has signed a form 180. Does anybody know this to be the case?

I know that it's slightly off-topic for this forum, but it seems somewhat relevant to the demand that Kerry sign the form.
It would be powerful pressure on Kerry, to my mind, if it were publicized (truthfully) that Bush has signed the form.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you don't watch much TV or read much - other than prerhaps the talking points on an un-named website.

The answer appears to be "yes" - of couse it was the Kery campaign and the MSM that made all the fuss about the Presidents records.

The President is running on today - candidate JK is running on the past - 'cause HIS present record in the Senate is pretty bad. The trouble is, JK's past is pretty bad also!

Aren't you glad you asked?
RichardP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Bush has released ALL of his military records, so yes, he has signed the 180.

Kerry on the other hand will not, and the media, being the Kerry supporters that they are, are not making the HUGE fuss that they did over Bush's records.

The media is flushing any credibility it had down the crapper, and the American people are starting to finally wake up to the fact that we have a press that is biased beyond belief.

Yes, President Bush signing his 180 SHOULD put pressure on Kerry to sign his and release his records, but it's NOT gonna happen, and the media is gonna spin until we are all so dizzy that we don't care whether he does or not.
Ijon Tichy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
I guess you don't watch much TV or read much - other than prerhaps the talking points on an un-named website.

I read quite a bit, actually. Like I said, I've seen it reported. I'm looking for unequivocal evidence, such as would be represented by a .pdf file of the form itself. I can certainly find claims that Bush has signed a form 180. I'm looking for a well-substantiated claim, which I haven't found so far.
Do you know where I can find one, specifically?

Quote:
The answer appears to be "yes" - of couse it was the Kery campaign and the MSM that made all the fuss about the Presidents records.

I know that there is an appearance that Bush has signed a form 180. I've repeated it as truth, myself. I'm just trying to be sure that I am reporting accurately.

Quote:
The President is running on today - candidate JK is running on the past - 'cause HIS present record in the Senate is pretty bad. The trouble is, JK's past is pretty bad also!

Aren't you glad you asked?

I'll be glad when I find the kind of substantiation that I'm seeking.
You haven't told me anything new.

I realize that I may be asking a tough question that may be perceived as hostile, but I can't stand Kerry in any way and I've voted Republican since I was old enough to vote (starting with Reagan).

I'm just looking for an authoritative source, that's all.
Ijon Tichy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:
President Bush has released ALL of his military records, so yes, he has signed the 180.

Kerry makes a similar claim, yet I know that he hasn't signed a form 180.

Quote:
Kerry on the other hand will not, and the media, being the Kerry supporters that they are, are not making the HUGE fuss that they did over Bush's records.

I can't play up the contrast in good conscience until I have good evidence that Bush signed his form 180.

Quote:
The media is flushing any credibility it had down the crapper, and the American people are starting to finally wake up to the fact that we have a press that is biased beyond belief.

Agreed, the media bias is incredible to the point of being alternately horrifying and hilarious.
Even the AP regularly displays an obvious liberal bias.

Quote:
Yes, President Bush signing his 180 SHOULD put pressure on Kerry to sign his and release his records, but it's NOT gonna happen, and the media is gonna spin until we are all so dizzy that we don't care whether he does or not.

I agree that with under 90 days left before the election that it seems exceedingly unlikely that Kerry will sign a form 180. The very presence of the pressure from the contrast of Bush having signed his is the sort of thing that can potentially open minds and plant the seeds of questions.
In my humble opinion, of course.
silenthunter
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush had no need to file a 180, though it is abundantly evident that he did.

You see, it was Kerry who painted himself as a war hero. Lie. When he did that it became very reasonable for his Ramboesque 3+ month tour to be taken apart and inspected stitch by stitch.

It has been, and it will be a huge part of his downfall. Assuming the "stupid is what stupid does" factor does not come into play and he doesn't get elected, he's done even as a Senator. Win-win.

But the fight is still very real. An added bonus to this protracted battle is that the MSM will be damaged as well, and it will be up to us as individuals to maintain that truth before the America. The MSM sure as heck isn't gonna do it.
COMCARDIV7, '70-'71
USS Oriskany, CVA34, '69-'71

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it won't be needed until someone tries to take it away." -- Thomas Jefferson
swiftjustice
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Quota for Kerry Talking Points Exceeded - Admin)
Ijon Tichy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Removed quoted troll post - Admin)

Whether or not Bush has signed the form, I am looking for an authoritative source that confirms the report one way or another.

Thanks for the POV, however.
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Scott McClellan addressed this saying that although he was not sure specificaly about SF 180 (he would check) that the President had either signed it or just given a Presidential order to release his records.

Kerry doesn't really have the latter option and no one was asking the President for the specific form, just the records.
Ijon Tichy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Herb!
That's a very good point, on the face of it.
Smile
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ijon Tichy wrote:
Thanks, Herb!
That's a very good point, on the face of it.
Smile

Here's a link, certainly not a pro Bush site.
http://www.masnet.org/news.asp?id=952
DerbyRed
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s time to put the “Form-180”-myth to rest.

A quick intro here -- I was out of the net since before the whole SwiftBoat issue surfaced . . . I had my wife order me up a copy to be on hand when I came back. I read it, poured over some of the MSM-yak on the subject; poured over what I consider some of the best blogging ever done on any subject; and, of course, tried hard to keep up with all the threads on the various SwiftBoat forums. I only bring that up because, as hard as I have tried to play catch-up, I’m sure I’m going to wind up bringing up matters that y'all have already pretty much dealt with and considered closed out. So I ask that y’all bear with me. -- BREAK --

Re: Executing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180) [http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/standard_form_180.pdf]

I think we may be putting too much stock in this FS 180 deal . . . Jfk doesn’t have to execute a SF 180 . . . he ALREADY has!!!! . . . that’s exactly how he knows that he better keep all the material that he hasn’t already made available away from public scrutiny (lockbox vs “pandora’s box”). I've done the same thing whenever they do a bring-up investigation on my security clearance to make sure I know what they know, ya know???

Y’all can see that the form only allows the record repository(s) to provide specified records to one specific “requester” -- it does NOT automatically put personnel/health records into the public domain -- his records would not be releasable through a normal FOIA request [kinda like we can’t get a look at te-RAY-sa’s tax returns unless she makes them available herself -- i.e. posting them on a website].

Whether Dubya actually executed a SF 180 or simply ordered them up from OSD (a better bet) is kinda mute right now . . . those files were delivered to the WH for review. The WH then made copies of only that material pertinent to the matter at hand -- the record of his completion of ANG duty commitment -- and nothing else -- and a limited/controlled dissemination made. Jfk would have the same control over his records.

Also, this is a lot like the issue with Doug Brinkley having “exclusivity” over jfk’s diary and other personal documents. jfk’s campaign has steadfastly claimed on the issue of releasing that material its hands are tied because of that arrangement. Brinkley said in a recent interview [http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40195] that he didn’t care anything about jfk releasing any of the material he used to create the “Tour of Duty” fictional work -- just so long as his book received “credit.” Haven’t heard a response to that one from the jfk camp.

So the long-and-short of it is -- the SF 180 doesn't appear to be the panacea it’s cracked up to be, we just have to keep digging analyzing, and reporting . . . and wait for the kedward campaign’s dumb-masses to keep screwing up as they did with that first dump of documents that got posted on kedwards’04 website.

I apologize for the length of this posting -- we bureaucratic Feddies aren’t especially noted for our brevity!!! > > > GBA/cul/dmm
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason it should be worded:

Execute FORM 180 to publicly release all of his records from archives.

Note: publicly.

And: all...from achives.

The latter is due to the Kerry half truth that they have released all of the records the Navy or that Pentagon hold. The records have been moved to archives and are NOT physically at the Navy or Pentagon.

Last edited by Herb on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerbyRed wrote:
I think we may be putting too much stock in this FS 180 deal . . . Jfk doesn’t have to execute a SF 180 . . . he ALREADY has!!!! . . . that’s exactly how he knows that he better keep all the material that he hasn’t already made available away from public scrutiny (lockbox vs “pandora’s box”).

Wash. Post was told there is approx. 100 pages unauthorized for release. I just wonder if those were ever released to kerry? What authority are they holding them under? Certaintly not National Security I hope! That would be like a certain General having documents withheld because their release would be a grave threat to National Security. As it ended up they had nothing to do with National Security -- but everything to do with paid hookers compliments of taxpayer's.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry must have signed a form 180 to have his full record released to his campaign. He did that in January and the campaign said they received over 100 pages in March, as I recall. Only the Boston Globe has reported receiving access to this file, less medical records, at Kerry campaign headquarters - as far as I can tell.

The campaign then started posting some of the documents on their web page which I presume is why some of the documents say "Official Copy". I don't know if all the documents should say "Official Copy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: