SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 swiftees claim name on letter, but they never signed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gee williger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: 2 swiftees claim name on letter, but they never signed Reply with quote

These two swiftees claim that they never agreed to have their name used on the letter, and yet their names appear. Bob Anderson and Bob Wedge.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_0feb4cbe-3dea-56a4-b08d-23c4e2a83485.html(ed. updated URL)

The way it is reported, I wouldnt be surprised if the DID assent to have their names used, and only now that it has become a big deal do they have second thoughts (trying to get the 15 minutes?)

"Anderson said he first learned about the situation last week when he received an e-mail from a third party. The e-mail, from a Tom Pyle, said Pyle had contacted a dozen men whose names showed up on the list. Of the dozen, three said they had not given permission, Anderson said. "

I'm wondering if this 'Tom Pyle' is a Kerry operative? But in any event it is smart to be prepared for this... I imagine they would like to round up around thirty guys that signed the letter, and then have an ad saying 'we never signed the letter blah blah blah'...

batten down the hatches.

admin note: The following is a link to and brief excerpt from the followup article published on the following day, 1 Sep 2004, by the Billings Gazette...

Quote:
2 swift boat vets' denials false, group claims
Linda Halstead-Acharya Of The Gazette Staff
The Billings Gazette
September 1, 2004

<snip>

The letter instructs veterans to reply with a "yes" if they wanted their names listed on the letter that would be sent to Kerry.

Two e-mails, faxed to The Gazette, show both men replied with a "yes."

The response from Wedge, also dated April 27, states his name, ranking, boat number and concludes with "YES to Letter." An e-mail from Anderson, dated May 6, states "Yes. I was on swifts July 1, 1969, to June 23, 1970. I served on 3 boat operating off sea float and above Ha Tuien along the Cambodian frontier at the same period of time that young Zumwalt and Kerry was doing the same. bob anderson EN2."

Wedge insists that he remembers saying "no" when he received the e-mail.

"I strongly and vividly remember that," he said. "They've got the information (ranking, boat number) right but I don't agree with it (letter). I don't get behind the candidate bashing - I just don't do it."

Anderson said he does not remember receiving the original e-mail.

The Billings Gazette - cont'd
GoodToGo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're talking about the May 4 letter, I just checked in the book. I don't see Anderson's name, but there is a Robert T. Wedge, Jr. listed.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson's name is at the very top of the list - but not "asterisked" as one of the original signers of the letter delivered May 4.

Which means that one Robert Anderson, EN2, RET, had to contact Swifts to let them know that he was one of them and that he wanted to be included in the group.

He then would have provided enough details and bona fides and faxed in a signed letter in order to pass muster before he was added to the list.

Something's really stinking here, and it ain't coming from that list of names.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee my name is Judy Taylor --- do you know how many Judy Taylors there are in the world? Two addresses ago there was another one that lived on my same street two blocks away.

Gee, what are the chances that they called the wrong guy.
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real Anderson who signed on should be contacted to come forward to stand behind his support.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he's already been asked - along with Wedge.

May take a bit to get the original documentation gathered and prepared with a cover letter.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 swiftees claim name on letter, but they never signed Reply with quote

gee williger wrote:
"Anderson said he first learned about the situation last week when he
received an e-mail from a third party. The e-mail, from a Tom Pyle, said Pyle
had contacted a dozen men whose names showed up on the list. Of the
dozen, three said they had not given permission, Anderson said. "

I'm wondering if this 'Tom Pyle' is a Kerry operative

Among other similar ones, I received an email from "Tom Pyle" last week

It started out as follows:

Tom Pyle wrote:

Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Subject: going after Kerry to lift up Bush

Dear Mr. Shirley,

I am writing, as a private citizen, to remind you that
your name is signed to a letter that John O' Neill
routinely cites in his battle to bring down John
Kerry. If you mean to stand by what the letter said,
then I ask that you push O' Neill to demand a full
accounting of the President's service as well

--------

Sincerely,
Tom Pyle

See my reply at the following forum posting:

Why don't you just stop the smear campaign?

You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbshirley,

Like you could somehow forget that you signed that letter and would need reminding????
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First.... who the heqq is Tom Pyle?

RBS, thanks for the input.

Can't help but wonder just how you jump through all the hoops that the Swifts required in order to vet these signatures and then say that you did not sign on with Swifts?

I remember the discussions here right after the initial press conference and how Swifts had received several hundred emails from prospective members.... notice that the list did NOT grow by several hundred.

It was at 271, the last I checked. Obviously some of those names did NOT meet the vetting process.

How can you be one of the original signers and now, say that you didn't support the effort?
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this smells of a Clinton tactic.... I can smell it out here in AZ

what a set up.... it's the 'fighting back' that kerry's people said would start today???? it didn't happen at t he AM speech.... so here it is!

(Deleted By Admin)

Admin note:

Henceforth, unsubstantiated allegations will be deleted with no explanation.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 swiftees claim name on letter, but they never signed Reply with quote

gee williger wrote:
These two swiftees claim that they never agreed to have their name used on the letter, and yet their names appear. Bob Anderson and Bob Wedge.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2004/09/01/build/state/25-swift-boat.inc

The way it is reported, I wouldnt be surprised if the DID assent to have their names used, and only now that it has become a big deal do they have second thoughts (trying to get the 15 minutes?)

"Anderson said he first learned about the situation last week when he received an e-mail from a third party. The e-mail, from a Tom Pyle, said Pyle had contacted a dozen men whose names showed up on the list. Of the dozen, three said they had not given permission, Anderson said. "

I'm wondering if this 'Tom Pyle' is a Kerry operative? But in any event it is smart to be prepared for this... I imagine they would like to round up around thirty guys that signed the letter, and then have an ad saying 'we never signed the letter blah blah blah'...

batten down the hatches.

Assuming, for the moment, that the story is correct:

Could it be that they signed but didn't really read what they were signing?

They might also have had second thoughts and decided they didn't want to be involved on either side.

there is also the possibility of money being involved from one of Kerry's many wealthy supporters.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds like this will be disproven very quickly and pointed out by the Bloggers, Rush, etc.

More stupid pet tricks by the DNC and Kerry. They just don't get it... Laughing

Cazador
Molon Labe
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazador wrote:
Sounds like this will be disproven very quickly and pointed out by the Bloggers, Rush, etc.

Well, they need to get on it ASAP.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official response to Billings Gazette:

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
Post Office Box 26184
Alexandria, Virginia 22313

Billings Gazette
Via Email

To the Editors:

We read with concern “Columbus Swift Boat Vet Angry About Letter” (September 1), and Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SwiftVets) wanted to set the record straight.

On April 27, 2004, Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann, U.S. Navy (Ret.), founder and chairman of SwiftVets, wrote an email appeal to many former officers and enlisted men who served in Swift boats and related commands and staffs.

His proposed letter to Senator John Kerry was attached. The Admiral concluded the email with this appeal: "We want you to join us, by lending your name to the letter to Senator Kerry...You need to let us know...[if] we can use your name. You can do so by replying to this email, with a ‘yes’…”

In addition, the Admiral added: "If you have other Swift sailors that you know of who might be interested in this, please forward this email to them..."

Many did forward the Admiral's email to other former Swift boat veterans, and the requested emails with “Yes” rolled in.

On Tuesday, April 27 at 9:43 p.m., an individual who identified himself as Robert Wedge said “yes” in the following email to the Admiral:

"Robert T. Wedge jr.
QM1 USN/Ret.
LST-848
PCF-3,64,67
YES to Letter"

An individual who identified himself as Robert Andersen said “Yes” in this email to the Admiral May 6:

"Yes; I was on swifts July 1, 1969 to June 23, 1970…bob anderson EN2"

Admiral Hoffmann will endeavor to contact former Petty Officers Anderson and Wedge personally to confirm their desire to be removed from the letter.

If and when confirmed, we will remove their names. In the meantime, we wanted your readers to be aware of the the emails we received.

Additionally, we would ask all journalists to file inquiries with SwiftVets when their stories concern us. Channels for media and public inquiries can be found at www.swiftvets.com.

Sincerely,

Thomas C. Wyld
Communications Coordinator
Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. When you get to this point, the game is already over. The desparation has moved from the campaign to the grassroots. What does that tell you?

GAME - SET - MATCH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: