SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be careful visiting anti-Kerry vet sites
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in security, at a minumum you should have anti-virus software; AVG from Grisoft (It has a free version) and you should update regularly (I check daily because I tell those I love about incoming virus attacks so they update), you need anti-spyware (I regularly use SpySweeper, SpyBot and AdAware) all free but you can upgrade. A firewall is highly recommended and ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm is simply outstanding.

Updating Windows is necessary and you might at some point look to update the drivers for all the devices on your computer. One utility that helps with that is AIDA32 which has links for the most common hardware.

If you're in the vets section and have questions, I'll be happy to relay as much help as I can.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bored383 wrote:
Mozillla Firefox is the answer for browsing when using a Windows system

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

it is rock solid and not plagued with the problems that IE has with malicious code

This site is safe to use with Internet Exploder.
I wouldn't click any links referenced by this site, including newspaper references using IE, though.

I agree with "Bored383", but need to add that you have to manually install several plugins after you load Firefox to make some movies, etc. work properly. You'll also have to install official genuine Sun Java.

All those plugins and instructions for doing that are on the Mozilla help pages.

If you intend venturing into hostile territory, install, use, and learn FireFox.

DISABLE TELNET on your computer.

Find yourself a 3rd party e-mail program, too, and use that instead of Outlook. The combination of Internet Explorer and Outlook accounts for well over 80% of malicious attacks and hacks. I recommend (and have used for 15 years) Eudora, but there are several other ad supported or completely free e-mail programs that work quite well.

If you're using Cable modem or DSL, you need to be behind a firewall. Don't bother with the software types -- they cost abour $40.00 and slow your computer down. Just get a $40.00 hardware type ... almost any router you can buy at Office Depot, OfficeMax, etc. works quite well. I prefer LinkSys because these are essentially the Cisco brand relabelled.

Last point: visit Gibson Research: http://www.grc.com/default.htm
At a minimum, install "DCOMbobulator", and I recommend "Shoot the messenger" and "Unplug and Pray" as well. Direct link to those programs (freeware) is: http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

When you think you've got it, visit GRC again and run "Shields Up". That will tell you what's left on your computer that is still vulnerable.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Keep your machine safe Reply with quote

If you are a Windows user, here is a site with great information on cleaning up your machine: http://securitytango.com/

From the site:

"What is the Security Tango?
The Security Tango is my name for the dance you have to do every time you want to assure yourself that your computer is free of viruses, spyware, keystroke loggers, backdoors, trojans, and other forms of malware (click the Definitions button on the left to see what all those things mean). It's something you need to do regularly and often - daily is not too often! The simple act of getting on the Internet and downloading email or going to a Web page can expose your computer to malicious crackers who would love to take over your machine for their own use."
MarcB
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenisC wrote:
IF YOU WERE ON A MAC, YOU WOULD NOT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS. Very Happy

As a Developer I have to use Windows at work but all my machines at home are running Mac OSX. It is nice to come home to a network and machines that just work.

MarcB

Windows Developer / Mac User

- Winston Churchill, on Neville Chamberlain
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, I'm so internet dumb... my computer is naked! I have ME - can I still get those firewalls and things? I've went out to microsoft site and did the upgrades... usually new viruses etc don't affect the ME....
let me know...
no wonder I've been having so many problems since I joined here... computer doing things it's never done before....
help
kurtsprincess
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with user settings ........and I'm totally naive about computers..

Right after the ad and the book went public I started having troubles...every time I log on it tells me I have a corrupt profile and assigns me a new user and none of my settings (favorites) show up.

I'm on comcast.net and have their security manager installed. Used to have Mcafee but it didn' stop anything I guess.

Did a spyware check and had lots of stuff but it seems to get hung up when it gets to the \document settings...... and in the IE (which I have no idea what this is) section (just what I see on screen when it stops checking).

And, I'm leery about following the advice of anyone here who shows date of membership later than when the ads came out ... hope no one takes offense ... but hope you understand my caution.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: