SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Price slashed at Amazon.com "Unfit For Duty"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Price slashed at Amazon.com "Unfit For Duty" Reply with quote

Unfit for Command -- Prices cut !! $16.77 New From Amazon.com $13.99 - $37.06 Like New and Used V.G. (Sept. 2, 2004).

Amazon.com has cut prices for new copies from $19.01 (32% discount), to $16.77 (40% discount).

Amazon.com is also shipping used, new and like new copies sold by other booksellers in the Amazon.com Marketplace category. Today the prices ranged from $13.99 to $37.06, and I was too late to snag the $13.99 offer, it sold out real fast.

Of the two copies I have ordered for myself, one has shipped (Marketplace) and today Amazon.com said the other is being readied for shipment.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Price slashed at Amazon.com "Unfit For Duty" Reply with quote

PhuCat to Phu Quoc wrote:
Unfit for Command -- Prices cut !! $16.77 New From Amazon.com $13.99 - $37.06 Like New and Used V.G. (Sept. 2, 2004).

As the day wears on it gets better. I just ordered a copy at $13.00.

RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Hastings Superstore.. Finally Reply with quote

After waiting (on the reserved list) almost 3 weeks I finally got a copy of Unfit yesterday (Prescott, Arizona).

When I went to the store they actually had several copies (saw 4) on the shelf, predominantly displayed right where you walk in the door.

I was also surprised to find the price (they didn't show it as a special or anything) marked down to $16.77 as has been mentioned by another post here from Amazon (and no shipping involved).

So as the books finally start to load up on the shelves I hope it is not to late to keep the pressure on. Even still, Kerry brought up his VN record again late last night and just added more fuel to the fire..

WHAT IS THIS 2 TOURS CRAP HE IS NOW CLAIMING ?

RideAHarley.com - Prescott, Arizona
Hanger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Unfit for Command Reply with quote

Amazon just sent me a note saying the book has been shipped.
gospelmidi
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Kerry served 3 mos. before he served 4 mos. Reply with quote

RideAHarley wrote:
Ensign Kerry was on the USS Gridley in the Gulf of Tonkin for about 3 months ending on May 27, 1968.
http://home.nycap.rr.com/pwcarter/the%20kerry%20page.html

June 8, 1967 Kerry reports to USS Gridley-serves in several capacities

February 9, 1968 USS Gridley departs for a Western Pacific (WESTPAC) deployment, to engage in operations in support of the Vietnam War. Ship spends time in the Gulf of Tonkin off North Vietnam, at Subic Bay in the Philippines and in Wellington, New Zealand

February 10, 1968 Kerry requests duty in Vietnam He lists his first preference for a position as an officer in charge of a Swift Boat (designated PCF for Patrol Craft Fast), his second as an officer in a patrol boat (designated PBR, for Patrol Boat River) squadron

May 27, 1968 USS Gridley sets sail for the US

June 6, 1968 Kerry arrives in Long Beach the day after Senator Robert F. Kennedy is killed in Los Angeles
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/service_timeline.html
Hanger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

Just received my book from Amazon!
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Book Reply with quote

Hanger wrote:
Just received my book from Amazon!

Got two of my orders today! One ordered July 28 from Amazon.com, the other ordered Sept. 3 from an independent bookseller.

PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry served 3 mos. before he served 4 mos. Reply with quote

gospelmidi wrote:
RideAHarley wrote:

This is the same ******** John Kerry wrote in his book "A Call To Service". Kerry wrote; "After I joined the Navy during the Vietnam War, I commanded a naval gunboat patrolling the Mekong Delta. Then when I came home after two tours of duty, I decided that the same sense of service demanded something more of me." (Page 3).

It's kind of a stretch to call a Swift Boat a gunboat, if Kerry had been more truthful, apparently an impossibility, he would have written naval patrol boat, designated PCF (Patrol Craft Fast). The U.S. Navy had larger vessels designated gunboats as in PGM, i.e., USS Antelope, a friend of mine served in the Antelope in Vietnam's rivers and coastal waters.

In his own book, Kerry clearly misleads readers to think he had two tours of duty on "a naval gunboat" in the "Mekong Delta" of Vietnam.

The facts are; (1) a standard U.S. Navy tour of duty in-country Vietnam was twelve months, and Kerry's statement would lead readers to believe he served 24 months in-country! (2) Kerry's first visit to the waters of Vietnam was incidental to a WESPAC deployment (cruise) and was not a tour of duty. You could call Kerry's entire time of service in USS Gridley a tour of duty, but that would be stretching the truth, because it was a mighty short tour of duty.

The best that can be said of John Kerry's record in the "tours of duty" department is that he had an abbreviated tour of duty in Vietnam and an abbreviated tour of duty on a surface ship, but the salts I know wouldn't try to ******** real sailors by this twisting of facts. Kerry's version only persuades and impresses the ignorant, which is to say it impresses journalists.

This B.S. is also repeated by Douglas Brinkley in his biography of Kerry titled "Tour of Duty : John Kerry and the Vietnam War".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: