SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference for Kerry "no man left behind" story at

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reference for Kerry "no man left behind" story at Reply with quote

I've been trying to find a reference for this item in a press release without success.

[Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member John O'Neill Thursday, August 19 2004 @ 02:00 PM PDT

"In addition, Senator Kerry closed the Democratic National Convention with a story in which he claimed that five of the boats fled on March 13 after a mine went off and he came back. His campaign is now admitting that he fled and the rest stayed." ]

I read the preview of Kerry's speech from Drudge and also the text on Kerry's website and I can't see it. I'm making a chart of Kerry's statements with documented counterclaims.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think this is a meme, a media quote that gets repeated over and over until everyone knows it is true when it never happened.

I certainly haven't found it in the convention speeches (closest if from Clinton who said it of Edwards).

I think maybe it was a paraphrase of a theme some heard in Kerry's acceptance speech.

This has come up here before and no one, to my knowledge, has come up with a reference.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their campaign video shown at the DNC, called "Under Fire" it talks about "No Man Left Behind"...which I am not 100% sure, but pretty damn near sure, that it used to be called "No Man Left Behind", but they renamed it because of their lie exposed.

Here is the link to it
http://www.johnkerry.com/video/player.php?video=072604_under_fire

Also, I have a question, in this link here, the video only plays for 17 seconds on my computer, I think it is supposed to be substantially longer, and I was wondering if they have since edited it, once they have become aware of the lies that were within it? Is this the same video they had coming out in DVD or showing at some grand opening theatre or something?

http://www.johnkerry.com/video/player.php?video=112603_brothersinarms
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: JFK - model commander Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.

Something I just noticed (the video is very interesting for those here) is one of the other skippers (I think) says a paraphrase from "White Christmas", when the character General Tom Waverly is remarked upon by former soldiers - "We ate, then he ate; we slept, then he slept."

In the kerry ad, the guy (I should know him but don't want to watch again...) says that Kerry made sure his people had eaten before he ate, and had a clean dry place to sleep before he slept. Did Kerry and his crew ever spend a night away from their base or base ship?

Why would there be any question about a) food being available or b) sleeping quarters being available?

Just had a thought. He let his men sleep first so he could write and transmit reports in the dead of the night when no one was around to read them...
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: JFK - model commander Reply with quote

jrsdad wrote:
Thanks for the links.

Something I just noticed (the video is very interesting for those here) is one of the other skippers (I think) says a paraphrase from "White Christmas", when the character General Tom Waverly is remarked upon by former soldiers - "We ate, then he ate; we slept, then he slept."

In the kerry ad, the guy (I should know him but don't want to watch again...) says that Kerry made sure his people had eaten before he ate, and had a clean dry place to sleep before he slept. Did Kerry and his crew ever spend a night away from their base or base ship?

Why would there be any question about a) food being available or b) sleeping quarters being available?

Just had a thought. He let his men sleep first so he could write and transmit reports in the dead of the night when no one was around to read them...

During Kerry's duty in COSDIV 11 they lived either ashore in An Thoi or aboard one of the LSTs that were supporting the Cau Lon, Bo De, and Bay Hap operations. On rare occassions they might have spent a night or two aboard PCF-94. Another thing to remember is that he wouldn't normally have lived with his crew but in Officer's quarters and eaten in the Wardroom....not with his crew. His peers would know him better personally than would his boat crew.
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any thing around the Democratic Convention but I did find this reference(caps mine):

“With enemy fire coming from both sides of the river and SWIFT BOATS EVACUATING from the area, KERRY'S CREW CHOSE TO TURN THEIR BOAT TOWARD the ambush to save Rassmann.” (January17, 2004 Press Release www.JohnKerry.com)
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reference for Kerry "no man left behind" story Reply with quote

RiflemanDD730 wrote:
I've been trying to find a reference for this item in a press release without success.

[Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member John O'Neill Thursday, August 19 2004 @ 02:00 PM PDT

"In addition, Senator Kerry closed the Democratic National Convention with a story in which he claimed that five of the boats fled on March 13 after a mine went off and he came back. His campaign is now admitting that he fled and the rest stayed." ]

I read the preview of Kerry's speech from Drudge and also the text on Kerry's website and I can't see it. I'm making a chart of Kerry's statements with documented counterclaims.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Try the C-Span archives. I think they may have the actual speech as given.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: