SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denver Post - Support Our Troops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theflickster
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Denver Post - Support Our Troops Reply with quote

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E29079%257E2358519,00.html

Excerpts:
<snip>
"Yeah, I know you know the story by heart – but it bears repeating:

Fact: John Kerry volunteered to go to Vietnam.

Fact: Kerry killed and wounded other men – “the enemy” (who were simply fighting for their country), because that’s what Uncle Sam wanted him to do.

Fact: Kerry was wounded in combat three separate times on three separate dates.

Fact: Kerry saved the life of Green Beret Jim Rassman by retrieving him out of a river in the Mekong Delta under fire.

Fact: Kerry was honored by his government with three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star his actions during the war.

Fact: Kerry didn’t manufacture his fancy medal and ribbons – the U.S. military followed its own protocols, investigated the incidents, and awarded them to him.

Fact: The men who actually served on Kerry’s swiftboat support both Jim Rassman’s account and the Navy’s official accounts of Kerry’s war time actions.

Fact: not one of the veterans now sliming Kerry actually served on Kerry’s swift boat.

Fact: Several of these cesspool vets previously praised Kerry’s wartime bravery, and approved of the medals he was awarded.

Were they lying then, or are they lying now?

This isn’t about so-called 527 political ads – all attack ads are not alike.

It’s about trashing the war record of a political opponent with lies that have been thoroughly disproved by the Navy’s own records and the fact-checking of numerous national newspaper reporters. "
<snip>

AND

<snip>
"Likewise, most of TV and cable’s wussy-mouthed baby-boomer anchors never fought or bothered to put on a uniform: CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, MSNBC’s Chris Mathews and Pat Buchanan (!), NBC’s Tim Russert, FOX’s Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity. But they’ve been giving hours and hours of free and often unchallenged media time to a pack of Republican (Yes, for Christ sakes – they’re Republicans!) veterans with scores to settle and an election to win. Like any of these “news” men and punditcrats knows what it’s like to point a gun at an “enemy,” to be in a firefight, to see a buddy – or an enemy - blown to bits in front of him, to have a bullet or shrapnel rip into their bodies, to kill a child they thought had a gun or a bomb. "
<snip>
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do Kerry talking points bear repeating? All of his talking points have been debunked several times in this forum.

Zell Miller
theflickster
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... They have been debunked in this forum and in this forum one is preaching to the choir... but have they been debunked in the media? (and the many who read/listen to the media but aren't on this forum... isn't that who needs to hear the truth?)

I fully believe the more the msm hears from those who don't believe that it has been proven by the media, the more the media has to denounce their statements.

I write a lot of letters... including to the nimrod that wrote this article.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "lady" aren't one. Nor is she very smart.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered for their board and posted a point by point response to her "facts". Based on a brief reading of the board, it doesn't look like there will be any response to it, but you never know.

She called the Swiftvets "cesspool vets", btw. Several times. Very nasty lady.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
I registered for their board and posted a point by point response to her "facts". Based on a brief reading of the board, it doesn't look like there will be any response to it, but you never know.

She called the Swiftvets "cesspool vets", btw. Several times. Very nasty lady.

Geez, cesspool vets? I have not yet read that article, but I am going to right now. If I see that obscene remark in there, then I will forward the article to Dr. Bill Wattenburg, who has a radio show in San Francisco. That station is a 50,000 watt blow torch that can be heard from Canada to Mexico, and from The Pacific to the Rockies. Dr. Bill has millions of listeners, and this is just the type of story that he will give his attention to. Just last night he had a caller that sure sounded like a Swiftee to me, as the caller said that he had talked to Paul Galanti, by phone, a few days ago. Dr. Bill is very open to this story.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would interpret cesspool vets to mean that we get down and do the job no matter how much s^^t we have to slog through. Remember the "Dirty Dozen"?
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACT: This woman is living on the liberal plantation and doesn't realize she's still a slave.

I think I will have to respond to his tripe.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I would interpret cesspool vets to mean that we get down and do the job no matter how much s^^t we have to slog through. Remember the "Dirty Dozen"?

Sorry Buff, I don't see it that way. Sure it could be seen as complimentary, meaning that the swiftees will put up with anything to accomplish the mission. But that worm clearly meant it as a slur, and that's exactly the way I take it.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of how this battle is not over. Write creeps like this, put bumber stickers on your cars, picket and protest, talk to your co workers, send money to the swiftvets even if it's $5. In other words, man your battle stations.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my entire response to her article. I did not address anything in her article except her "facts".
Quote:
Support our troops
You write:

Quote:
Fact: John Kerry volunteered to go to Vietnam.

False. Kerry first tried to get a deferment so he could go to Paris. When that didn't work, he joined the Naval Reserves in an attempt to avoid Vietnam. He never volunteered for Vietnam. He was called up from the Reserves. In his own words, he "never wanted to see combat".

Quote:
Fact: Kerry killed and wounded other men – “the enemy” (who were simply fighting for their country), because that’s what Uncle Sam wanted him to do.

True.

Quote:
Fact: Kerry was wounded in combat three separate times on three separate dates.

False. Kerry has now admitted his first Purple Heart was for a self-inflicted wound not received during combat. His third Purple Heart was for a wound that didn't qualify, as he reveals in his biography, and also was not received in combat. Furthermore, in order to get the third Purple Heart he conflated two wounds - one of which was self-inflicted and received earlier in the day when he and Jim Rassmann threw grenades into a pile of rice and (according to Kerry's own words) he "got a piece of shrapnel in his ass".

Quote:
Fact: Kerry saved the life of Green Beret Jim Rassman by retrieving him out of a river in the Mekong Delta under fire.

False. There was no enemy fire at the point that Kerry fished Rassmann out of the river. While there is some disagreement over whether or not there was any enemy fire at all, there is no disagreement that there was no fire by the time Kerry returned to the scene. Furthermore, there are no battle damage estimates to prove that a single bullet hit any of the boats and not one man was injured by enemy fire.

Quote:
Fact: Kerry was honored by his government with three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star his actions during the war.

True. However, the Navy is now investigating those awards as new evidence has revealed that Kerry falsified the after action reports upon which the awards were based.

Quote:
Fact: Kerry didn’t manufacture his fancy medal and ribbons – the U.S. military followed its own protocols, investigated the incidents, and awarded them to him.

False. The Navy never investigated Kerry's medals because they had no evidence to indicate they may not have been earned. They are investigating them now for that very reason. Kerry did throw them away, however.

Quote:
Fact: The men who actually served on Kerry’s swiftboat support both Jim Rassman’s account and the Navy’s official accounts of Kerry’s war time actions.

That depends on how you define "support". Among the four men that have spoken about the incident, at least seven different versions have emerged. Rassmann, for example, has placed himself on four of the five boats in various interviews. They can't even agree on what kind of enemy fire it was; small arms, automatic weapons, mortars or artillery, or what it was that supposedly hit the boat (mine?, rocket? artillery?) and the damage report for the boat doesn't indicate that anything hit it.

Quote:
Fact: not one of the veterans now sliming Kerry actually served on Kerry’s swift boat.

False. Steve Gardner served on PCF 44. He was John Kerry's tub gunner and served with Kerry longer than any other man. He is a Swiftvet and has appeared in ads produced by the Swiftvets. And when did telling the truth become "sliming"?

Oh, and like many "journalists", you seem ignorant of the fact that John Kerry commanded TWO boats, not one.

Quote:
Fact: Several of these cesspool vets previously praised Kerry’s wartime bravery, and approved of the medals he was awarded.

Cesspool vets? How kind of you. It's nice to know that you can keep the debate civil and stick to the facts.

All of the men who have previously supported Kerry and now do not, revoked their support of Kerry after reading his hagiography, Tour of Duty. It was only then that they realized the extent of the fantasy that Kerry had constructed around his service. Many of them have never liked him, but they supported him anyway because he was a fellow vet. When they discovered how he had falsified reports to win medals and lied about his service, their minds were changed.

Funny how the truth does that to a man.

If you want to know the truth about John Kerry and the Swiftvets controversy, visit my blog. Unlike many of the "journalists", I have read both books - Unfit for Command AND Tour of Duty, and I have researched the issues extensively.

Or, you can read the opinions of ignorant people who have researched nothing.

antimedia - keeping the media honest
http://antimedia.blogspot.com/

zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were kinder to her than I was Baldeagle. She threw a punch, I hit back. After all, she set the tone with her article. I doubt that she will respond to me, much less post my reply to her BS, but I feel much better about it anyway. I'm not real good about turning the other cheek. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: