SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brinkley: Navy Probe Could Doom Kerry Campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas Brinkley wrote:
Asked if inconsistencies uncovered by the Navy probe could be the "death knell" for Kerry's campaign, Brinkley told Malzberg, "It could."

In the next breath he hastened to add, however: "Right now it's unclear. So we have to just wait to see what all this adds up to."

Please be fair in quoting Brinkley and allow his following sentence to be included.....fairness on this level should not only be extended to O'Neill about his comments on which waters he patroled. Fair is fair...and we need to extend it out.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could "inconsistencies uncovered by the Navy probe" that happen to be consistent with what the SBVFT have been saying for months now spell the beginning of the end of the anti-American, morality-free "Main Stream Media" as we know it?

I hope so. Mr. Green

-- FDL

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/5/132437.shtml

Sen. John Kerry's campaign biographer Douglas Brinkley said Sunday that if an ongoing Navy investigation into Kerry's military decorations turns up evidence of "purposeful" deception, it could spell doom for the top Democrat's White House bid ...

He said that while questions raised by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth about Kerry's war record have been very damaging, "so far they haven't been lethal." But Brinkley predicted that a discrepancy with Kerry's medals could seriously escalate his political problems.

Asked if inconsistencies uncovered by the Navy probe could be the "death knell" for Kerry's campaign, Brinkley told Malzberg, "It could."
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think it would have been more logical, since Brinkley is backing Kerry for him to have said, "I've studied the records and the official investigation will validate Kerry's version of events." ?

After all, if he was really certain, he would have said this.

I don't think it's some clever psy-ops exercise. The psy-ops part is smearing the Swiftvets while avoiding addressing the charges they are making. It is a classic way to take someone who is telling the truth, e. g. the Swiftvets, and divert attention from their truth to make people doubt the veracity of truth teller. This only happens when the person or group is telling the truth which cannot be refuted. Tarnish the teller of the truth while diverting attention away from the truth they are telling.

Doesn't it seem likely that if Kerry was certain the records actually backed him up, he'd be on Meet the Press signing the 180 ?

Doesn't it seem likely that Brinkley would be gleefully defending himself because he knows the records will back up what he is saying rather than hedging?

IMHO.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet_supporter wrote:
The psy-ops part is smearing the Swiftvets while avoiding addressing the charges they are making. It is a classic way to take someone who is telling the truth, e. g. the Swiftvets, and divert attention from their truth to make people doubt the veracity of truth teller. This only happens when the person or group is telling the truth which cannot be refuted. Tarnish the teller of the truth while diverting attention away from the truth they are telling.

A strategy that's become the S.O.P. of the Left. Ad hominem replaces addressing the facts.

-- FDL
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed criss matuws reporting since the Zell Hell. He seems to me to have deserted kerry and is trying to save his own a---s. Brinkley is doing the same. I have actually had a better time watching mathews lately than scarbourgho. Joe has been whipped into being even handed and you can tell he hates it. I would have more respect for him if he followed his heart instead of the MSM masters.
Jazzoi
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chuck Z Ombie AC2000"]You notice how only the word "purposeful" is quoted and the rest was added in with Newsmax's own spin? Im not trying to start trouble but if im missing where brinkley is quoted as saying "if an ongoing Navy investigation into Kerry's military decorations turns up evidence of "purposeful" deception, it could spell doom for the top Democrat's White House bid." please point it out to me.

If you did, as you say, read the whole article, then perhaps you you missed this part.

- "Is it sloppiness, is it purposeful intent, is there an easy explanation for it?" Brinkley wondered. -

or this part

- Asked if inconsistencies uncovered by the Navy probe could be the "death knell" for Kerry's campaign, Brinkley told Malzberg, "It could."

In the next breath he hastened to add, however: "Right now it's unclear. So we have to just wait to see what all this adds up to." -

I see no evidence of innaccurate reporting on the part of Newsmax. They are, and will continue to be, a more accurate source of information the the NYSlimes, or even Brinkley himself, as far as I'm concerned.

Like you, I also do not wish to cause trouble, but it seems to me that you lost a debate with someone once because you quoted something from Newsmax. Could it be that your opponent simply attacked the messenger, and not the message, as is a standard countermeasure for liberals when they are confronted with "uncomfortable" facts, and you found yourself unable to defend?

(notice how I used quotes around the word uncomfortable, for emphasis, without attributing the word to anyone in particular?)

Again I say, fact check Newsmax against ANY of the liberal media, and Newsmax wins every time. Will you see spin one way or other in the aforementioned news sources? Absolutely. And again I say, Newsmax has never claimed to be on the side of liberals, but liberals would have you believe that the NYSlimes is 'the paper of record'.

Peace
mascari
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, lets stop arguing over the NewsMax story. Chuck has a point. While they do get a good scoop here and there, they're as biased as the MSM, except in the opposite direction. The difference is that the avg American has never heard of newsmax.

The others have a point too. It appears that Brinkley is definitely in CYA mode.

But we dont need to fight over it. Its about standing together against the hated one and defeating him.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Again I say, fact check Newsmax against ANY of the liberal media, and Newsmax wins every time.

Ok now you done it!!!!
I will not have my patriotism questioned by someone who had 5 deferrments from Newsmax Razz Razz Razz

Here is a sampling of newsmax

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/5/13/91044.shtml

Quote:
UFOs Gone Wild, Men From Mars Visit Mexico
Charles R. Smith
Thursday, May 13, 2004
The Mexican Air Force released a recent video of unidentified flying objects. A Mexican Air Force surveillance aircraft searching for drug runners spotted the UFOs, which were invisible to the naked eye. The UFOs were only visible on a special infrared camera.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/31/225546.shtml

Quote:
Monday, May 31, 2004 10:53 p.m. EDT
Kerry 'Flips Off' Vietnam Vet

Former Congressman John Leboutillier reports on a Memorial Day confrontation between Sen. John Kerry and a fellow Vietnam veteran:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/18/155536.shtml

Quote:
Sunday, July 18, 2004 3:53 p.m. EDT
Heinz Kerry Bankrolling GOP Convention Ruckus?

At least one of the left-wing groups traveling to New York City next month in a bid to disrupt the Republican Convention has accepted money from a philanthropic foundation with financial ties to Teresa Heinz Kerry.

These stories are untrue
Bostonian
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is also in the Telegraph (UK):

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/05/wus05.xml

This story has legs.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is getting off-track.

We have just been reading where the AP printed documented lies about boos, Arnold's speech, and saying that the Swiftboat Vet's are documented liars.

These things were obviously intentional. I don't think anyone can claim Newsmax intentionally prints false information and I have seen them print corrections when they have been wrong. I have seen them print things damaging to conservatives as well as liberals. In the end, everyone has their favorite source of information and it really doesn't matter.

So, why don't we focus on the real issue. Brinkley was on Malzberg's program. If you don't want to accept the report, do some digging and find cross references to it.

Everyone giving their gripes about various news sources credibillity just aids and abets Kerry supporters whether you intend it or not because it takes the focus off the facts.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
>>Sen. John Kerry's campaign biographer Douglas Brinkley said Sunday that if an ongoing Navy investigation into Kerry's military decorations turns up evidence of "purposeful" deception, it could spell doom for the top Democrat's White House bid.<<

Let's read it very CAREFULLY....

Notice he carefully said "if" and "purposeful" - in other words, he's talking double speak. He has a VERY good idea of what is in candidate Kerry's records. He doesn't expect to see "if" and "purposeful" proven.

I just think he's setting up a trap for others to fall into.

I understand your thinking, but I must put it into a historical (hysterical?) context with that group.

1. Kerry has run for 30 years on lies, distortions and defamation. He has never been seriously challenged on it. He felt arrogant enough in his own hagiography (haven't seen that in a while - certainly trips off the tongue!) to even challenge Bob Kerrey, a CMH winner, on the Senate floor over Clinton's record. He has been running on (long) face value ("I have a SS, a BS, and 3 PHs!") for decades.

2. Brinkley would not have made the statements he made, and Kerry would not have approved them in Tour, unless they felt comfortable that they would not be attacked. Why? Because they had survived 35 years without contradiction outside a blip of a Boston Globe story about shooting the teen in the back. Kerry knows what happened, but he called on Elliott and Lonsdale to back him up, figuring they did not know and had no reason to learn the truth at this late date. They supported him in 1996. He saw no reason for them to go against him after Tour.

3. Politicians get used to lying and getting away with it. I always vacilate between wondering whether these people like Ted Kennedy or Terry McAuliffe really believe half the things they say or they simply lie with a straight face. I think after a while they start to live the lie, so at least on one level they believe it. I think Kerry believes he was a hero; I think over the years he has come to believe the legend he crafted, and feels that no one will dispute him.

4. Brinkley is a celebrity syncophant. He is widely regarded as the worst name-dropper in academia. After JFJ, Jr.'s death he created a whole fantasy relationship with the dead Kennedy and put it out for the press, leaving those who knew the truth shaking their heads. He is not considered a serious scholar within the history community (only the press treats him as such) but as a partisan populiarizer. he is tolerated because he brings people into stodgy history departments, in part. Brinkley attached himself to Kerry's star, and eagerly bought (and embellished) the image Kerry presented.

5. I think Kerry is still completely off balance because people who meet and beat his inflated credentials have attacked him. Think of his support for Al Hubbard of VVAW fame after it was revealed first that he was not a pilot in Vietnam (E-5), then that he was not in Vietnam. Hubbard continued to lead the VVAW with Kerry at his side. It didn't matter, because they were fighting for deeper truths - or Kerry didn't care because it was all political theater. The truth of service and medals and war crimes doesn't matter to Kerry - he uses them for his own ends. And he has been able to flash his ribbons and put down his accusers. He cannot do that with SBVFT - so he does it with Bush and Cheney. This is his only defense, which he has so successfully used in the past. Problem is, he is aiming at the wrong target. He's burning the empty hootches while the snipers bracket his boat. I believe at some level Kerry believes the legend he has crafted, and so is flabbergasted that people are attacking him on it. He has played the role so long that the lines between the actor and the play have blurred.

6. Brinkley has long ago sold his soul for the ability to consort with the famous. He bought into Kerry's fantasy, and read everything in a way that supports him. An historian is much more comfortable writing about times where there are no witnesses - then you can make the records do what you want. Brinkley has never had to deal with eye witnesses who strongly disagree, or with people who are willing to look at records and understand what they mean. Perfect example is how a civilian reads an "Outstanding" on a FITREP and how a promotion board does. Much of it is pure ignorance (possibly excusable ignorance). Brinkley never read the regs for a PH or SS. He simply assumed that if Kerry got the citation, he earned the award. The MSM is the same way - if the reports support Kerry, he must be telling the truth. This is where the Churchill quote in UFC is so poignant - "History will think well of me because I intend to write it." This point, hammered home by the SBVFT, will bear repeating enough that people begin to accept it. When the story sinks in, there will be a lot of "DOH!" forehead slapping.

7. Do not dispair about the attacks on Bush and Cheney. They are big boys. And they are not the ones the Kerry campaign should be worried about. The attacks are from the SBVFT (and soon, a number of other 527s who are planning attacks far uglier than the solemn and restrained SBVFT ads) are where the damage will come from, and repetition will erode the image away. Naturally, Kerry is trying to attack the SBVFT through the personal attacks on members like Al French and Zumwalt, but it is different attacking a group that is not seeking anything and attacking an opponent. Take Kerry's Vietnam image away, and his campaign has nothing other than the usual campaign promises.

At least, that's how this ol' boy sees it... Laughing
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brinkley: Navy Probe Could Doom Kerry Campaign Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
Uh, oh.

>>Sen. John Kerry's campaign biographer Douglas Brinkley said Sunday that if an ongoing Navy investigation into Kerry's military decorations turns up evidence of "purposeful" deception, it could spell doom for the top Democrat's White House bid.

Praising reporter Thomas Lipscomb, who broke news of the Navy investigation on Friday, Brinkley told WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg, "Journalists are going to have to see whether there's a discrepancy on [the citations posted to Kerry's] web site - whether there's something wrong that's said there or not."<<

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/5/132437.shtml

Back some time ago I opined that "An indictment is more appropriate than and inaguaral for John Karry."

Sam
Jazzoi
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok now you done it!!!!
I will not have my patriotism questioned by someone who had 5 deferrments from Newsmax Razz Razz Razz

Chuck, settle down there fella. I never attacked your patriotism. I also didn't ask you about your Senate voting record, either. Smile

Quote:
These stories are untrue

We're supposed to take your word that these stories are untrue? I read them all, I saw no factually incorrect statements in the articles, did you? Did you even read them?

Besides, vet_supporter is correct. A long diatribe on the messenger, rather than the message, takes attention away from the objective, which is to enlighten America as to Kerry's REAL record, NOT the fantasy world he wants us to believe.

Since this story is being verified by source after source after source, it's a losing proposition to attack Newsmax for reporting this story. If you don't like them, don't read them. Read the stories written by sources that you feel more comfortable with.

Kerry will have a tremendous amount of trouble relying on the Navy as his authority for receiving the medals, when even the Navy is investigating the veracity of the records.

It seems to me that there may be some light shed on the discrepancies in the release dates of his DD214(5)'s. I saw a report somewhere that he didn't get his official discharge until 1978? Why the six year delay? Can you provide any material information about that question? I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

Peace
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talk radio host, Steve Malzberg, evidently has a deal with NewsMax to write regular columns for them. The NewsMax article is unsigned, but I suspect it came directly from Malzberg immediately after his show finished on Sunday afternoon. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but the article does show signs of spinning the quotes from the interview pretty hard in a way to make them more newsworthy. I could take the same quotes and build an article that would spin them pro-Kerry without much effort.

I'm also not yet excited over the breathless assertions that the Navy Department has convened an official investigation into Kerry's medals. Judicial Watch's press release understandably makes the Sep. 1 letter from the DoD-IG look that way. But all he was doing was saying (my paraphrase of the bureaucratese, not direct quotes), "Yes, we have the duty to look into allegations of the sort you've made" and "I'm forwarding this to the Navy Department for further handling." It would be a mistake, I think, to trumpet that as if the Navy Department had made some preliminary determination that there's a serious impropriety or that Kerry's at fault. That all may yet happen, but I don't think it's happened yet.

Please understand, folks, that I'm a long-time and consistent critic of Kerry, and an avid supporter of the SwiftVets. I'm a conservative Republican, the son of a Navy LTJG who served on the troopship USS Zeilen in the Pacific in 1944-45, and someone who's absolutely horrified at the idea that Kerry might become our country's C-in-C.

But one of the things I try to do in my blogging on these issues is to exercise some caution and restraint, rather than get high on my own fumes. The Judicial Watch complaint may get some results, eventually, and there's some benefit to publicizing it (as Judicial Watch is trying to do) in an effort to get the mainstream media's interest. I'd just hate to overstate what's happened yet with that complaint, in the same way I'd hate to jump to the conclusion that Brinkley's "jumped ship" on Kerry. (I don't think he has; in fact, I think Brinkley is engaged in a misdirection ploy, and that Kerry signed a Form 180 directing the Navy to release directly to Brinkley the records that Brinkley now says Kerry ought to release.)

So -- take a deep breath everyone. Let's not have any friendly fire casualties on this forum! And remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint, and we're at best only one-third of the way through it so far. Very Happy

My recent blog posts on these topics, regarding which I always am interested in comments or feedback from readers of these forums:

Brinkley continues to play coy on Kerry records

Navy Department review of Kerry's medals and alleged misconduct

Kerry apparently signed Form 180 for Brinkley, but Brinkley is cooperating in the cover-up
Boundless
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malzberg has a web site
and sometimes makes available downloads of the
audio, or transcripts, for some interviews.

There's nothing there yet on the Brinkley, but keep
an eye on it, unless independent inquiries directly
to Malzberg are already underway.

I'm not sure I can guess what Brinkley is up to.
The book
(Tour of Duty: The Fiction Begins with the Title)
evidently has serious problems, such as the
no-enemy-fire-yet admission for PH#1. If it had
been a movie script, it would have at least been
checked for continuity.

If Brinkley is not operating on orders from the
campaign, the doubts he's allowing to be raised
cannot sit well with people in a position to cause
him a great deal of trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: