SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Site With Article Re: Kerry's Deferment Request-Legit ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article claims he was honorably discharged already, but wasn't his discharge actually several years later? Or am I just confused?
Eric Rasmusen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Did Kerry get student deferments? Reply with quote

An earlier comment said that Kerry got four student deferments. This seems significant to me, since Kerry criticizes Cheney for getting deferments. Can we verify it? Which of the following is true, and what's a link for us to check it out?

1. He applied for deferments four times

2. He was given deferments four times, without any need to ask,

3. He just never was unlucky enough to be drafted, or

4. College students simply were not eligible for the draft at that time.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* that when you registered for each term, one of the forms you filled out was a notification to your draft board - the school verified your registration and sent the form to your draft board. Both Kerry and Cheney would have gone through the same process.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Did Kerry lie? Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
Maybe he got the clearance in 1965 because he enlisted a number of months prior to graduation.....

He did. I suspect that the Oct 65 date is the time he submitted his initial paperwork. It's interesting to note that almost all the blocks have a typed X in the "No" block. But the second line has handwritten check marks in BOTH the "Yes" and "No" blocks. Either his "flip-flopping" started way back then or the recruiter said "Sir, if you check the "Yes" block indicating contact with the listed groups, you won't be accepted"

You have to go to page 3 of that document to see the long list of organizations line 2 refered to.

In ANY event, no organizations are listed in the remarks section of that form and he WAS later given a TS clearance.

Did Kerry lie?????? Take a look at the listed organizations and make your own decision.

Rolling Eyes
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
wally626 wrote:
were you required to file every year for a college deferment?

I think so.... I didn't need a student deferment- I was an undergrad from '57 to '62. After graduation, I did have two critical skills deferments which were issued on a year by year basis.

Quote:
Cheney files three while an undergrad, it looked like because he was transferring schools then one for grad school and the final because he was going to be a dad. But if you had to file every year of college most would have had to file at least four to get through college. Is that correct?

If I remember correctly, in '63 Kennedy signed an executive order exempting married men from the draft. I'm not sure how that may have been modified because early in '64 I went on active duty with the Air Force and didn't pay much attention to things like the draft.

Added: From another web source (Salon) that is NOT administration friendly:

"Cheney received four 2-S draft deferments -- granted to students -- from 1963 through 1965 while he was a student at the University of Wyoming. He married Lynne in 1964, and was thus banned from the draft.

But in October 1965, the Selective Service announced that married men without children could then be drafted. Exactly nine months and two days later -- on July 28, 1966 -- his first child was born. Cheney hadn't waited until her birth before he sought a 3-A deferment classification -- given to those with dependents. He did so when Lynne was only 10 weeks pregnant." I assume, that despite what Salon wants to imply, this practice was completely legal.

There you have it.

Apologies if this is incredibly irrelevant (GRIN). Reminds me of an old Heinlein Science Fiction novel.

>>"Glory Road", published 1963. "E.C. "Scar" Gordon, a Vietnam veteran, answers an ad promising adventure and meets a mysterious beauty who transports him to another world.<<

It was standard SF fare, but Heinlein was a wise old coot. At the beginning of the plot, before the story becomes 'fantastic', the protagonist describes the safe way to game the system--

* Go to college
* Get married
* Have some kids before you can get drafted.

If this life-strategy was typical enough to be the setup plot for a 1963 SF novel, it seems eerily similar to Cheney's career path (GRIN).

Am not criticizing Cheney's career path, but this strategy may have been very common in that era (and entirely legal). Dunno much about it, since I was a kid at the time.
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Misty:

Well, there was a draft, so he didn't really have that option. A Navy officer sounds a lot better than an Army rifleman to a lot of people. Wink

Yes, he ran out of deferment options. I am sure he used deferments to stay in school.

With regard to Cheney's deferments, 4 of them were between 1963-1965. By the time he was defered because of his first child, he was 26 yrs old and too old for the draft.

Educational deferments were legal and proper but Kerry and his ilk are being very disingenuous when they attack Cheney for using his.

The only public figure (under discussion) who really abused the draft system was Clinton, so far.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: