SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gallup Numbers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: New Gallup Numbers Reply with quote

Everyone,

The new Gallup Poll is out: 52 Bush, 45 Kerry for Likely Voters. The Internals (including some of interest to us) show even more bad news for Kerry than the raw numbers indicate. It would seem that the Time/NW polls weren't that far out of synch.

http://www.gallup.com/election2004/

Truth is Beauty
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gallup Numbers Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Everyone,

The new Gallup Poll is out: 52 Bush, 45 Kerry for Likely Voters. The Internals (including some of interest to us) show even more bad news for Kerry than the raw numbers indicate. It would seem that the Time/NW polls weren't that far out of synch.

http://www.gallup.com/election2004/

I honestly think the polls are nonsensical superstition. But if the election were held, today, I do believe Kerry would be in the low 40s, nationwide.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severy (and Everyone),

I diagree slightly. It is labor-day just after both parties have had their conventions. The polls reflect the "ground floor" for the final campaign. This is one of three times when polls do matter.

However, the internals are even more important (and what campaign and marketing people....so moderators you may want to bump this upstairs). For those that don't have a subscription to Gallup, here is a new USAToday link with the internal numbers.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/polls/usatodaypolls.htm

Truth is Beauty
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:

However, the internals are even more important (and what campaign and marketing people....so moderators you may want to bump this upstairs). For those that don't have a subscription to Gallup, here is a new USAToday link with the internal numbers.

No, with respect, I mean I think all the polls are nonsense and useless. The only point to opinion polls is to push. There's two meanings of that - push in the questions on the phone, and push in a predetermined figure reported to the general public. In the first case, the effort is that of a salesman to influence opinion on the spot. In the latter it's the effort to influence thousands of people by reporting wishful thinking as empirical fact in the hope that they will be buoyed or lose heart, accordingly. So those in all parties who believe such dishonesty is 'pragmatic', and utilitarian, practical and 'works', given lip service to internal 'serious' polling so that people will believe that at least those who pay for the polls believe in some of them.

You might well disagree with me.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite recent Poll.

Most people like their Jobs.

Very Happy Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevry,

I do disagree with you. A poll is like anything else: a tool. Too many politicians (like a certain former president) often rely too much on polls and focus groups, but they are important. Why? Because they give you a snapshot of how well your message is getting across...which is why the internals are important.

That's why polling at select times (such as right now at the start of the fall campaign after both party conventions) is a useful tool if you don't take it too seriously. Besides, it's also fun.

Truth is Beauty
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with the polls that I saw mentioned on DU.

Many early twenty-somethings are new voters and use only their cell phones, don't even have a home telephone. This group will not be included in telephone polls because there's no way to reach them. Some (many?) of them will vote and they tend to be Kerry supporters.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 20-somethings also don't tend to vote.

Truth is Beauty
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris,

Some of them are pretty fired up for this election. I hope you are right and that they do not vote as they haven't voted in the past. However, I would not count on that.
Whacker77
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first post on the messageboard. I'm 27, have read the book, and love what all of you Swifties are doing. I also saw the Gallup numbers and was actually a bit disappointed. I expected Bush's lead to be bigger given the Time and Newsweek polls. I'm hoping that the weekend sample might have distorted the outcome. That's my hope anyway.

Part of me is still worried about the outcome of the elections because some of Clinton's evil people are coming to Kerry's rescue. These guys are going to get way down and dirty and their going to try to use Kitty Kelly's new book against Bush. I'm sure the ANG issue will be used by the media again and they'll even bring up these bogus drug charges that Kitty Kelly's promoting.

That's why I hope Bush got more like 54, 55, or 56 in these polls. It gives him some room to drop without effecting the final outcome. Remember, these are Clinton people we're dealing with now.
jack white
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whacker, as Polaris pointed out polls are tools. I agree the results never should lead to complacency, but in the event you want to know why Kerry's fragile mental condition all but shattered last week you look at the internals.

While it is theoretically (and even actually) possible Kerry could win, those internals within all the polls show that he has gotten to a place very difficult to escape in the last 60 days of an election. The troubling numbers for Kerry relate to perceptions he is a weak and ineffectual leader. If the SBVT drops the Black Star commercial campaign in the next few weeks--spots that feature Kerry's blatant aid and comfort to the enemy which he initially denied and now has been forced to admit--that decline will accelerate. How he ever thought he could avoid having to answer for meeting with the enemy while in the Naval Reserves...well, that probably has something to do with what increasingly appears to be a mental or emotional condition of some sort.

One more point--Bush is above 50 percent in all polls, and this is the magic mark.

So the bottom line is the news is good but 60 days is a long time and there is no room for complacency. But we always have Paris circa 1971 Very Happy
RemodelingGuy
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whacker77 wrote:
Part of me is still worried about the outcome of the elections because some of Clinton's evil people are coming to Kerry's rescue. These guys are going to get way down and dirty and their going to try to use Kitty Kelly's new book against Bush.

Don't you fret my young friend!

They've accused us of playing dirty politics for the press!

We don't have to!

Kerry is NOT a real contender like Clinton or his wannabe student he had in Gore!

SBVT is not about Bush v Kerry!

It's US v Kerry!

Kerry has NOTHING to Offer the American People and will bury himself.

Bush has flaws that will come to surface again, but who cares.???!!!

Kerry, like a boxing contender, has to win this thing on his merits!

There are none!

Go fishing. Drink a beer! RELAX!

Very Happy
Skywatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to get a feel for what's really happening with the polls is www.realclearpolitics.com. They average all the major polls and currently show the average to be 49.8 for bush and 43.4 for Kerry. This is a 6.4 point spread for Bush and isn't bad. Also important to note is that the ARG and Zogby polls (which are included in the average) haven't been updated since before the convention ended. Once updated, the spread we've been anticipating may materialize.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whacker wrote:

Quote:
Part of me is still worried about the outcome of the elections because some of Clinton's evil people are coming to Kerry's rescue. These guys are going to get way down and dirty and their going to try to use Kitty Kelly's new book against Bush. I'm sure the ANG issue will be used by the media again and they'll even bring up these bogus drug charges that Kitty Kelly's promoting.

So what else is new? The liberal media has overplayed its hand. Remember Farenheit 911? Remember Clarke's booke? All ther other Bush Bashing books. Hollywood and the liberal elite have thrown everything, every lie, every disgusting innuendo at Pres. Bush this year. It's just gotten to be background noice. The public isn't buying it any more. The only people buying those books and savoring those tidbits are the radical left and at this point the only thing they are doing is disgusting the small block of undecided voters. I don't care what anyone in the world says, "Its the Security Stupid!" It's not the economy. It's not jobs. It's not the stock market. It's not medicare. It's not the price of a gallon of gas. It's not outsourcing. The public wants to be safe and John Kerry is not it.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remodeling guy, be easy on the new person.... welcome to the forum, Whacker??

when things got scarey awhile back, I walked around mumbling 'Daivd and Goliath' over and over. Thqt scared my dogs....

I still seem to misunderestimate Bush.... shame on me..... the convention way outdid the DNC's !

What Kerry has misunderestimated is the SBVTS! This has devastated the Kerry campaign.... look at them panic!

Washington ProwlerTerry in Turquoise
By The Prowler
Published 8/10/2004 12:08:45 AM

" The campaign source said that the book was not considered a "serious" problem for the campaign, because, "the media wouldn't have the nerve to come at us with this kind of stuff," says the source. "The senior staff believes the media is committed to seeing us win this thing, and that the convention inoculated us from these kinds of stories. The senior guys really think we don't have a problem here." "

Right, no problem.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: