SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill on Bill O'Reilly Tuesday 09/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

I don't know. I think we are in the middle of a very public conversion from critic to supporter. BOR has a large audience and such a public conversion (even if feigned) is not something to sneer at regardless of what he may have said in the past.

I suggest (especially after the cordial...yes it was cordial) interview that BOR gave tonight to O'Neill that we all tune into his show and see what BOR has to say about it. [He already promised that he would broadcast his impressions.]

Truth is Beauty
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooncusser wrote:
I had an agenda in Vietnam....stay alive. Laughing Laughing

Mooncusser, you probably think no one paid any attention to your remark, but I did.

We had the same agenda. Very Happy

Welcome home, Brother.

Semper Fi
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Reilly basically agreed with the major parts of the book...then claimed that ooooh its not so bad...its just Kerry.

O'Reilly did not try to refute anything in the book, and basically endorsed its contents.

Bill seemed kinda lost in what to do and what to say, I think he understands that Kerry is a fraud, after reading the book.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really useful points were that O'Reilly agreed:

Kerry had an agenda when he went to Vietnam

Kerry inflated his record in Vietnam

Kerry smeared honorable soldiers when he came home and did so for his own benefit.

That's no bad at all. It is a remarkable departure for BOR, who called the Swifties "slime peddlers." Both he and FOx got an email fusillade from me about that. Having such an opinion without having read any of ther books was inexcusable.
Bostonian
Seaman Apprentice

Skywatch wrote:
I think Bill did only what he had to do to save face and come to more favorable terms with his fans turned critics. He moved to the middle.

He moved to what he thinks is the middle.

There is no middle ground between truth and lies.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

Ubermensch wrote:
The point that O'Reilly was making is that Kerry may have exaggerated a bit, yes. But all of the "he lied" charges will always just boil down to a matter of opinino, not provable by either side.

The Navy's investigation, and/or Kerry signing Standard Form 180 to release his entire military record might boil it down to a matter of fact, not opinion.

We'll just have to wait and see.
arymann
PO3

Beatrice1000 wrote:

But what I wanted Bill to say was "Y'know, when your ad first came out, I said some things I regret saying because I made judgments without doing any research, and I apologize." That admission was sorely missing.

I agree. I've listened to Bill on TV and his radio show. He has not always been fair with the Swifties and has made some harsh statements about them. He came around tonight, but could have let John finish answering several of the questions he asked. I'm still amazed that he hasn't looked at the O'Neill/Kerry debate tape.
Jim T.
Seaman Recruit

I assume most of us have read Unfit for Command. Likewise, most of us watched Bill O'reilly (me for the last time, I broke my boycott off so I could watch O'Neill) tonight. So I ask: If you were doing the interview would you have conducted the interview in the same manner?

I contend that O'reilly was pandering to all of us who have written him to protest his handling of the SBVT issue. However, having the rather large ego that he does, he did not want to admit his past mistakes in this matter and carried out a rather ho-hum interview.

We all know after reading the book that it conveys a powerful sense of Kerry being a conniving, dishonest, oppourtunistic man who is "unfit" to be president. None of that powerful arguement came out in O'reilly's interview. That was the plan. Apparently it worked with some viewers.

For a viewer that has not and will not read the book, the interview was less than decisive. Think about it, how many times does O'reilly end a story without leaving the viewer with information or debate that allows you to fairly accurately form an opinion (forget the Suzane Summers interviews!). Again, knowing how powerful the facts are in Unfit for Command I think an uninformed viewer was cheated!!!

As usual O'Neill was great!! He was great back in 1971 when he blew Kerry away on Cavett (even in the white socks)!! Bill's alluding to that debate and telling the back room to get it, while live on air, is just another of his pandering tactics. Bill might be able to call me a "far right" "ideologue," but he can't call me stupid.
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=Having such an opinion without having read any of ther books was inexcusable.[/quote]

This hits the nail on the head on BOR. I feel BOR would be coming
across differently if he had served in the military. He would
identify more with how veterans feel (especially Swift vets) about
Kerry.

Montana
kintzele
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the show and I'm sort of shell shocked. I expected O'Reilly to try and get the upper-hand on John . It came off really good for the swiftees and all Vietnam vets. Tough spot when he asked if an apology would do the trick (I posted two weeks ago about this weak attempt).
Mr. O'Neill handled the question extremely well....it's a little too late.

I'm off to email CNN about Paul Begala and James Carville still being retained by CNN and working for the Kerry campaign.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="arymann"][quote="Beatrice1000"]
He has not always been fair with the Swifties and has made some harsh statements about them. He came around tonight, but could have let John finish answering several of the questions he asked. quote]

He's been taking lessons from Chrissy Matthews Laughing

BY THE WAY- PMSNBC has been using the Zell Miller *****-slapping of Matthews to promote Hardhead.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to Dennis Miller and listened to the varsity panel. One of the women (an admitted close friend and supporter of Kerry) stated that Kerry doesn't seem to know who he is anymore. She thinks his handlers have confused him and he cannot be himself (yeppers...else people would really be scared). Dennis Miller just blurted out at the end of the show [regarding the Presidential race} that "It's over, isn't it?" And, Dennis Prager said, yes, it is. (Dennis Prager was also on the panel.)

So, there is another opinion on TV albeit CNBC.
Skywatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bostonian wrote:
Skywatch wrote:
I think Bill did only what he had to do to save face and come to more favorable terms with his fans turned critics. He moved to the middle.

He moved to what he thinks is the middle.

There is no middle ground between truth and lies.

You missed my point. I don't think this interview had anything to do with Bill's desire to get to the truth. I think this was about ratings and to quell some of the criticisms he's been receiving from his fan base.

Bill is never wrong and never makes a mistake...just ask him. However, Bill was wrong on this issue and he now knows he was wrong. His ego won't let him admit it publically but he had to do something to patronize his fans. So he moved to the middle of the controversy as defined by opinions. That's how I see it anyway.. In the big picture, a major media figure moved in the direction of the SBVT claims.. O'Reilly blinked and the truth came out.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: O'Riley Reply with quote

I have not always agreed with BOR and felt that he often did not give a fair shake to his guests. This interveiw with John O'Neil was one of the most polite and informative interviews I have seen on BOR's show. SBVFT scored points today.
NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On BOR's talking points, he mentions receiving a ''slew" of emails from angry far right viewers on his conduct towards the Swiftees. That must be us, guys and gals. Why is dissenting a "far right" thing as if everyone who wrote in were "on the fringe" of this??

Did anyone catch BOR subtle phrase of "Believing Rassmun" side of the story after Oneill tried to detail the falling off the boat and the so called small arms fire? It seemed to be a small dig.

Other than that, it seemed that BOR was trying to be decent as far as his ego would let him Very Happy

someone must have put Prozac in his morning coffee Shocked Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: