SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moore trying to get Farenhiet 9/11 run on TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteamSnipe
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Moore trying to get Farenhiet 9/11 run on TV Reply with quote

Moore's website says he is not worried about trying to win an Oscar for his crockumentary, and would like to have his movie run on TV in the final days of the campaign. He is trying to make the arrangements with a network. I think a couple of Swiftboat ads placed in the middle of his movie could cause him to have a massive coronary.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moore trying to get Farenhiet 9/11 run on TV Reply with quote

SteamSnipe wrote:
Moore's website says he is not worried about trying to win an Oscar for his crockumentary, and would like to have his movie run on TV in the final days of the campaign. He is trying to make the arrangements with a network. I think a couple of Swiftboat ads placed in the middle of his movie could cause him to have a massive coronary.

there is now way that will get on tv before the election. the dvd distributor won't allow it, it's bad business. and I heard he's not putting it in for best documentary. however, it wasn't said if it was not being put in for other considerations.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article from the Toronto Star about this subject.

Admin - Edited to replace long URL with hypertext link.
fanningp
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....now that it's moved out if the "Documentary" category and into the "Motion Picture" category....can we REALLY REALLY please shove it in his face that it was based on pure fiction?

Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orolonn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He shouldn't be worried about it. I read awhile back that the "Drama-mentory" wasn't even eligible. I believe it was because it was shown some place other than the US, that made it ineligible. But don't quote me on that until I find the article! Laughing
Orolonn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, apparently it was questioned and TPTB changed their minds...

From Newsmax... highlighting is mine

Quote:
Has Fidel Nixed Moore's Oscar Chances?

Fidel Castro's passionate embrace of Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" may have doomed the rotund producer's chances of winning an Oscar, Hollywood sources say.

By pre-empting the state-run Cuban broadcasting station regular program schedule to show a bootlegged copy of the film, Castro raised questions about the documentary's eligibility for the coveted golden statue.

According to Reuters news service, under rules set by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences films cannot be considered for an Oscar for best documentary if they have been "shown on television or on the Internet within nine months of their theatrical release."

But Moore's league of liberal Hollywood supporters have an out: An unauthorized or pirated film shown on TV would not render the movie ineligible, academy spokesman John Pavlik said on Tuesday.

"If somebody steals your movie and puts it on TV, we're not going to penalize you for it," he told Reuters.

But, he added, the Academy had not looked into the circumstances surrounding the film's prime-time broadcast last Thursday on state-run television in Cuba.

A spokesman for one of the film's U.S. distributors, the Fellowship Adventure Group - formed by Miramax Films co-chairman Bob and Harvey Weinstein - told Reuters the TV broadcast in Cuba was "not authorized."

Another out for Moore's Hollywood fans: The Academy rule restricting TV or Internet display of Oscar contenders applies only to documentaries, so "Fahrenheit 9/11" could still qualify for nomination as best picture, best director or best original screenplay.

Reuters reported that Variety speculated that backers of the film might regard the movie, which has been popular among Hollywood's liberal-leaning elite, as having a better chance of clinching a nomination in the best picture race if it was disqualified from the documentary contest.

Rolling Eyes I wouldn't trust those guys as far as i could throw them when they say it wasn't authorized. Then again personally, I don't think that a movie that is chock full of opinions should be categorized as a documentary...more like my above post says, it should be called a drama-mentory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: