SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JFK-2's Delayed Hon Dischg Date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vankuran18
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: JFK-2's Delayed Hon Dischg Date Reply with quote

Have read that the date on JFK-2's honorable discharge could be many years after 1972, but have not seen this discussed pretty much anywhere.

The late date discharge, if true, combined with JFK-2's not having signed DD Form 180 (full release of mil records) causes me to think the following:
1) Something happened which could have been either a less-than-honorable dischg or other UCMJ action, due either:
- To the Silver Star action (beaching boat under fire = endangering command, leaving boat = abandoning command, killing wounded VC = Geneva Convent'n), or;
- To his actions in 1971 (anti-war acts, testimony, visit NVA in Paris) while still a sworn, uniformed USN Officer

2) JFK-2 waited a while before filing appeal (time Democrats memories), and it took time to gather appeal info/data and submit to board for review.

Reason I'm thinking this: I have dealt with several Vets with less-than-honorable dischgs who have appealed and had their dischgs upgraded. In all cases, advice was to wait a while (time Democrats memories), etc.

I wonder.

What say you? Am I all wet, or just a suspicious critter on this one?

By the way, and FYI, I am a US Army infantry combat Veteran (1st Inf Div, C-1-18, RVN class of '66-'67).
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If even the slightest part of this turns out to have merit, if would be a totally killer blow to Hanoi John.
I took a look at the documents on Kerry's website. Kerry went in in '66 and got out in '78. That's twelve years. You may be on to something. This doesn't smell right.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is being discussed in several discussions on the different SBVT forums.

Candidate Kerry's 6 year committment ended in '72 - but for some unknown reason he chose to remain in the inactive reserve until '78

It appears he was just trying to have things both ways at the same time - on the other hand, '78 may have been the point he missed a mandatory promotion to O-4 (he wasn't drilling) and the Navy would have discharged him automatically.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mystery here. Unfortunately, also no "dirt".

Kerry did in fact receive what most would consider an honorable discharge in Jan 1970 (e.g., release from active duty and a DD214 characterizing his service as honorable). This is documented by Kerry's DD214, posted on his web site. It's available at

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/DD214.pdf

Block 13a clearly shows service was honorable.

Yes, technically at this point Kerry was transferred to the USNR vice discharged. Minor point, and one which very few people will care about. Most people equate leaving active duty and getting a DD214 showing service was honorable with an honorable discharge.

There is also a simple explanation for why his discharge wasn't final until 1978 vice 1972. Navy policy at the time was to transfer personnel at the end of the period of reserve obligation to the Standby Reserve - Inactive unless they either requested retention in the ready reserve or resigned their commission. See

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Transfer_To_Standby_Reserve.pdf

My guess is that Kerry either didn't care one way or another about his reserve status and was mustered out in 1978 for 2x nonselection to LCDR (timing would be about right, as air_vet notes), or that it took him until 1978 to get around to formally resigning his commission. Either way, nothing nefarious.

The well here is a dry hole. Please don't give Kerry and his supporters ammo by bringing up this point. Allegations of later discharge upgrade can be easily countered by Kerry and his supporters and will only discredit SBVFT efforts.
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: so how about Reply with quote

in Block 30,

Critical Skills no discharge at time of seperation

Restrict travel abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: