SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concise Account of Bush's National Guard Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudArmyWife
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Concise Account of Bush's National Guard Service Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to post this information. It was posted on PowerLine and credited to another source. If this infringes any copywrite, please delete this post. I hadn't seen anything this detailed before on it. Maybe it's floating in another section of this board.

The Hill: Bush Fulfilled Obligations Each Year In TANG

The Kerry campaign and the mainstream media have played up George Bush's Texas Air National Guard service, claiming for months that Bush went AWOL while transferring to Alabama after the Air Force started phasing out the F-102 he flew for years. The Hill, a DC newspaper targeted at the political elite in the nation's capitol and hardly a bastion of conservative thought (although Byron York writes for National Review), has analyzed the new data released by Bush earlier this year, and their analysis shows a much different picture than that painted by Kerry or the media:

The future president joined the Guard in May 1968. Almost immediately, he began an extended period of training. Six weeks of basic training. Fifty-three weeks of flight training. Twenty-one weeks of fighter-interceptor training.
That was 80 weeks to begin with, and there were other training periods thrown in as well. It was full-time work. By the time it was over, Bush had served nearly two years.

Not two years of weekends. Two years.

The National Guard requires its members to accumulate at least 50 points each year of service time in order to meet their obligation. Points are awarded for various kinds of duties, but the points are what matters when determining whether someone gave enough service for each year. The Hill calculates Bush's points for each year of his service (May to May):

1968: 253
1969: 340
1970: 137
1971: 112
1972: 56
1973: 56 (two months, discharged July 1973)

Bush served for five years, four months, but accumulated enough points to have covered 15 years of Guard service (over 750 points). More importantly, Bush served two years of completely active duty and two years of higher-than-normal reserve duty before scaling back, mostly due to his desire to work on Roy Blount's campaign and the phasing out of his aircraft. During his four years actively flying homeland-defense missions, he flew a notoriously cranky aircraft that hardly constituted "milk-run" duty.

Did George Bush see combat? No, a point that George Bush has often made himself. But he didn't join the TANG to be a weekend warrior, at least not for the first four years, which the media and the Kerry campaign skip over when trying to insinuate that Bush was (and is) some sort of coward. Nor does Bush make his TANG service or his youth a central qualification for his candidacy the way that Kerry had almost exclusively focused his campaign credentials on Viet Nam.

The TANG records prove that George Bush met his obligations for his National Guard service and honestly earned his honorable discharge. Now, perhaps, John Kerry will sign a 180 so that we can apply the same level of review to his records to determine if he is being honest about the service he holds out as his primary qualification for the Presidency. (via Instapundit
[quote}[/quote]
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think let the Kerry campaign keep bringing up the Bush national guard service issue. Maybe I am the minority in this but, I have always thought Bush could have taken a safer route then being a fighter pilot and logging close to 400 hours in an old jet. While it might not of been as dangerous as being on a swiftboat, it was not without danger. And as long as Kerry keeps bringing up the Bush record during these years the media will have to give some attention to the anti-Bush argument.
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't his unit lose about 6 guys due to crashes over the first 4 years he was there?
7rrfs
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link please
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffman wrote:
Didn't his unit lose about 6 guys due to crashes over the first 4 years he was there?

Actually it was someone he served alongside commenting on the 6 people who died who served with him during his Air National Guard service over a 33 year period. Still that does not take away from the dangers of flying a jet.

Quote from a good article
Quote:
Finally, the Kerrys, Moores and McAuliffes are casting a terrible slander on those who served in the Guard, then and now. My Guard career parallels Lt. Bush's, except that I stayed on for 33 years. As a guardsman, I even got to serve in two campaigns. In the Cold War, the air defense of the United States was borne primarily by the Air National Guard, by such people as Lt. Bush and me and a lot of others. Six of those with whom I served in those years never made their 30th birthdays because they died in crashes flying air-defense missions.

Link to Article,
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20040210-082910-8424r.htm
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is two interesting links I have found:

http://www.hillnews.com/york/090904.aspx

http://www.americandaily.com/article/4807
Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk...

Thanks
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link seems to have more content to the story than the previous link I supplied above from Byron York at "The Hill".

http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/york200408261025.asp
Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: