SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMPORTANT ALERT!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.R. Peter LaFond
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: IMPORTANT ALERT!! Reply with quote

THIS MORNING I RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE SWIFTVETS THANKING ME FOR A PREVIOUS DONATION, AND REQUESTING I MATCH IT AGAIN, OR DONATE WHAT YOU CAN. JUST NOW OVER ON FREEREPUBLIC SOMEONE THERE RECEIVED THE SAME EMAIL, BUT WHEN HE TRIED TO DONATE TO THE SWIFTVETS HE ACTUALLY DONATED TO THE DNC. SOMETHING ABOUT A POP UP COVERING THE SWIFTVETS PAGE. CAN SOME I/T EXPERT CHECK THIS OUT?
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one:

I would like to extend my sincere and personal gratitude for your generous contribution to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. I am sure you have seen the impact your contribution has had on the public discussion surrounding Senator Kerry's fitness for duties as Commander-in-Chief.
You have helped us to raise awareness of these important issues - and the American people are beginning to respond.

We would not be where we are today, with what we have accomplished, without your help. Our mission is far from over, however.

John Kerry's campaign - aided by a sympathetic media - has responded to our work by evading our criticisms and turning up the volume on their attacks. They have attempted to discredit our efforts by falsely tying us to the Bush campaign.

Their attacks will only get louder and more strident because they know that, on the merits, we cannot lose.

Our work has struck a chord with the American people, including many Vets, who have come to the Swift Boats web site and pledged their support. You have already done so much to help us, but I'm here now to ask you to help once more. We are at a critical point in this effort and we must keep our ads - including some new ones which I think you'll really appreciate — on the airwaves in key battleground states. We are up against the big guns, and we now need to make sure they can't drown us out.

For this reason, I am asking you to consider matching your previous contribution. If that's not possible at this time, every little bit helps. The quickest way to donate is by clicking on the logo below:

We can also receive checks through the postal service at:

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
C/O Weymouth Symmes, Treasurer
P.O. Box 26184
Alexandria, VA 22313

You can lend a hand, as well, by passing this information on to other friends you think might be interested in helping us tell the true story of John Kerry.

Please remember that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is an independent group under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code and is not affiliated with any political party or candidate for public office. Contributions to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are not tax deductible for federal income tax purposes. Federal tax law requires us to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and name of employer of each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year. Therefore, please be sure to provide us with this information so that we can satisfy our reporting requirements.

Thank you again for your support of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Sincerely,
Roy Hoffman, Admiral, USN, (retired)

Visit the SwiftVets online at: http://www.swiftvets.com

To unsubscribe from this list, click here
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
A.R. Peter LaFond
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Alert Reply with quote

I just followed the link in my email, and it took me to what definately looks like the swiftvets donation site. Maybe the swiftvets got it fixed. I gonna wait a couple of day before I donate again.
Krazykat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same email and the donation icon link appears to go to the same link used right here on this site.
mcg1969
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you guys know. We discussed this at some length on FreeRepublic. It MAY be due to some spyware on your system. In other words, it may not be the explicit fault of the DNC but rather some Kerry-loving hacker.

The warning is very much appreicated though. Just be careful!
thrawn21
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the message too and didn't find anything wrong with it.

However, if anybody is still concerned, the safest bet after getting the message is to just go back to the SwiftVet site (not using the link provided) and donate.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, got that post, and I too donated from a link on that post. But, shortly afterward, I got a confirmation from <admin@swiftvets.com>. The link worked just fine for me.
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT ALERT!! Reply with quote

A.R. Peter LaFond wrote:
CAN SOME I/T EXPERT CHECK THIS OUT?

I'd be happy to check this out for you. Please PM me with the entire RAW message that you received, including the headers.

Here is a link to the FreeRepublic thread in question...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1210600/posts

Note that the consensus at FR is that the person who reported this may have some sort of trojan on his machine, since there is only one report of this happening among hundreds of posters.

MarineBrat (admitted computer geek)
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinfella wrote:
I too, got that post, and I too donated from a link on that post. But, shortly afterward, I got a confirmation from <admin@swiftvets.com>. The link worked just fine for me.

Me too. In any case, if you donated to a fraud by C card, you can just have it backcharged out. Annoying but not a big deal.

Zell Miller
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ETEE wrote:
I received the Thank You Message from SwiftVets. But, I went to the site Homepage to donate.
Never use an Emailed address to donate to for anything!!! Always go to the site.

And I used the link in the original post, with no problem. Before we start making accusations, we need to be sure that we have all of the info. Hotmail is an entirely different animal, that has known problems all of it's own. Those are not connected with the Swiftees, but are the responsibility of Hotmail, and it's users. For the rest of us, the link poses no problem.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note:

Please do not post URL's or IP #'s of suspect web addresses.

We appreciate the notification and SBVT is aware of the issue.

Thanks

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bostonian: (Copy of PM sent to you... and updated a little)

It appears that the VAST majority of what you sent to me is simply the HOTMAIL web page that you were at when you were reading the email. That's why there's links to the hotmail stuff in there. You must have gone to view/source and sent me that.

The meat and potatos part of the email, the part which you see as being the incoming email at the hotmail web page you were on, which I dug out of the other stuff, has this link...

https://www.swiftvets.com/swift/ccdonation.php?op=donate&site=swiftvets

It appears to be normal to me.

MarineBrat
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same e-mail and donated again and got a thank u from the SBV adminstration. I think it was legit, it appeared the same as the previous time i donated.
I hope all is ok, i want so much to make a difference and help the swift vets. I want them to be able to put their ads up.
esp with this hateful woman who now has written this hate bush book and is getting a lot of free press. Mad
weds
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCJR wrote:
Chuck54 wrote:
zinfella wrote:

Me too. In any case, if you donated to a fraud by C card, you can just have it backcharged out. Annoying but not a big deal.

IF this is really a scam, and IF it is a criminal rather than a prankster, might be wise to cancel or at least put a hold on the card account.

A criminal will use the card info to drain the account or commit identity theft.

Comon guys! It's NOT a scam. People are responsible for their own screw ups, and should PAY ATTENTION, BEFORE they donate. It is not responsible to allude to this being a scam because some did not use due diligence. It was a simple request for a donation, not a damn crime wave.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COUNT ME IN AS ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL CONTRIBUTOR. I CHECKED THE URL FOR THE LINK IN MY EMAIL AND THE ONE FOR THE DONATION PAGE HERE ON THE SITE. EXACTLY THE SAME. Very Happy

YAY!

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: