SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYT on CBS' forgeries and Swifties' new campaign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
directorblue
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: NYT on CBS' forgeries and Swifties' new campaign Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/10/politics/campaign/10guard.html?pagewanted=print&position=

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which has ties to the Republicans and has attacked Mr. Kerry's service in Vietnam, said Thursday that it would spend $680,000 to put up a nationwide commercial that criticizes Mr. Kerry for tossing his war decorations.

The spot, which already ran for three days in Florida during the Republican National Convention this month, is to run for seven days on several cable channels.

It opens with film of a rally where Mr. Kerry and other veterans who had turned against the war tossed their decorations, and a voiceover declares: "Symbols. They represent the best things about America." It then shows Mr. Kerry telling an interviewer that same year, "I gave back I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine."

The voiceover then asks, "How can a man who renounced his country's symbols now be trusted?"

This is the third commercial by the boat group. The Kerry campaign said the Swift boat group was desperate to keep alive accusations that had already been discredited.

"This group has less credibility than a trashy tabloid magazine," said Chad Clanton, a spokesman for the campaign.

So far, it's been 39 days since Kerry talked with a real reporter. As Hugh Hewitt says, maybe someday he'll tell us what really happened in Cambodia, with the CIA agents and the magic hat.

So far as I can see, the Swifties are batting 1.000.
MadIvan
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liberals are never going to accept anything that damages Kerry. I've been reading some of their posts on other sites and on Usenet - they simply will not hear of it. It's childish behaviour on their part, like sticking fingers in their ears and singing "I'm not listening", to avoid hearing the truth.

Sometimes this behaviour is extreme - there are rabid, foaming at the mouth liberals who scream "liar" and "Nazi" at anyone who dares to disagree with them. The New York Times is on the more restrained end of this behaviour, but the same gutteral scream lies hidden between the lines of their articles.

Regards, Ivan
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when will the new ads start?
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Ads Reply with quote

680 grand for "nationwide" ads about Kerry tossing medals?

You guys need more money--I think I need to give you some!

Sorry, it will be much less than 680 grand--I'm not rich!
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NYT on CBS' forgeries and Swifties' new campaign Reply with quote

[quote="directorblue"]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/10/politics/campaign/10guard.html?pagewanted=print&position=

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which has ties to the Republicans and has attacked Mr. Kerry's service in Vietnam, said Thursday that it would spend $680,000 to put up a nationwide commercial that criticizes Mr. Kerry for tossing his war decorations.

I love the line, “which has ties to the Republicans”, that the NY Times inserts to create FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NYT on CBS' forgeries and Swifties' new campaign Reply with quote

directorblue wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/10/politics/campaign/10guard.html?pagewanted=print&position=

Quote:

The spot, which already ran for three days in Florida during the Republican National Convention this month, is to run for seven days on several cable channels.

It opens with film of a rally where Mr. Kerry and other veterans who had turned against the war tossed their decorations, and a voiceover declares: "Symbols. They represent the best things about America." It then shows Mr. Kerry telling an interviewer that same year, "I gave back I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine."

The voiceover then asks, "How can a man who renounced his country's symbols now be trusted?"

This is the third commercial by the boat group. The Kerry campaign said the Swift boat group was desperate to keep alive accusations that had already been discredited.

"This group has less credibility than a trashy tabloid magazine," said Chad Clanton, a spokesman for the campaign.

So far, it's been 39 days since Kerry talked with a real reporter. As Hugh Hewitt says, maybe someday he'll tell us what really happened in Cambodia, with the CIA agents and the magic hat.

So far as I can see, the Swifties are batting 1.000.

I know who gave him the hat and what mission was his supposed Cambodia trip. Too bad nobody is listening.

- instigator
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yet, Kerry has been the one forced to retract several of his mythological war exploits, not the SBVT. The SBVT have signed affidavits of the testimony of Kerry's Vietnam contemporaries, Kerry has nothing but his own word, which has been contradicted several times by the SBVT, and most of his crew. Neither Kerry, or his supporters have signed any affidavits that I am aware of. Kerry's crew is not allowed to speak to the press, just Kerry flacks that weren't there.

Chad can keep mouthing the Kerry mantra, but people are starting to notice that he has nothing to back it up, and wonder why Kerry doesn't simply authorize the release of his FULL military record, as Bush has done.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox news now running reports on "forgeries" every hour. The story is big. It will be the biggest feature tomorrow night on Fox's NEWSWATCH program and look for CBS to get levelled.
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the "Medals" commercial!!!! Yeah, and the Kerry side have pulled theirs so I don't have to suffer though them anymore. Laughing
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GETTING THE CAMBODIA STORY RIGHT

The Kerry Campaign has quietly conceded that Lieutenant junior grade (LTjg) Kerry was not in Cambodia during Christmas 1968. In fact, in an interview with Mike Wallace on FOXNEWS, 23 August 2004, Mr. Hurley stated that John Kerry wasn't in Cambodia on Christmas Eve. He now states that John Kerry was the Officer-in-Charge of PCF-94 when he crossed over into Cambodia five miles on a secret mission. This happened, according to Mr. Hurley a month and a half after Christmas, which puts the date in the middle of February 1969.

Until May 1970 when President Nixon legalized incursions into Cambodia , there were to be no crossing of the Border. Although there had been several large operations along and over the border, one being operations SEALORDS, many other covert missions had been executed of which the Seawolves were involved in with no after action report or one reflecting the action being flown this side of the border. It was hard at times to distinguish which side of the border you were on and since the Cambodians let enemy units openly operate and stage from the Cambodian side, make raids into Vietnam and escape back across the border knowing we would not follow and attack. On many occasions they were in for a surprise.

THE STORY NARROWED DOWN

According to Meehan, "Many times he (Kerry) was on or near the Cambodian border and on one occasion crossed into Cambodia at the request of members of a special operations group operating out of Ha Tien

Ha Tien was the Advance Tactical Support Base. It is adjacent to Cambodia and housed the Navy Seal Team One. Kerry conducted two missions only with SEAL teams from Ha Tien -- 12 and 13 February 1969.

A check of the available documentation, the Command History Report for Coastal Division 11 and After-Action reports for January 1969, reveals that Kerry's Swift Boat, PCF-44, conducted only one mission after President Nixon was inaugurated. This mission was nowhere near the Cambodian border, nor did it involve SEAL teams or CIA operatives. Kerry was then transferred to Coastal Division 11 at An Thoi. At An Thoi, LTjg Kerry was reassigned to command swift boat PCF-94 on 30 January, after LTjg Tedd Peck and Gunners Mate, David Alston (now Reverend Alston), were wounded in a fierce firefight on 29 January.

CIA, SEALS, AND FIREFIGHTS -- OH, MY!

On 13 February 1969, Swift Boats 50 and 94 ventured out on patrol in search of the enemy along the rivers of Vietnam. Both swift boats, accompanied by Navy SEAL teams and an armored troop carrier, ATC 131.9, began their mission at 0900 local. They were to engage the enemy. Intelligence reports evaluated a force of Vietcong who had dug in and were awaiting an ambush on the three boats. In anticipation of the ambush, the units unleashed a devastating display of superior firepower.

The second mission of February 13, 1969 included Swift Boats 50 and 94 with LT. Adams, a Naval Intelligence Officer assigned to Coastal Surveillance Fourth Zone, and PHC Nelson (Chief, photographer), who conducted a routine PSYOPS mission to Tra Pho village from 1430 to 1630 hours. The swift boats stopped at the village and talked with the Regional Forces' Commander and the Village Chief. They then proceeded to pass out 125 Tet packages for distribution to the people.

CAMBODIA'S BORDER

The official Naval record states that LTjg Kerry's boat then conducted its own mission up the river to a point on their military chart called, VS 518565, near the Cambodian border. A man carrying rice sacks was observed going inland as a woman approached LTjg Kerry and said the man had just "taxed" her, showing Kerry the receipt.

LTjg Kerry's After-Action report said the area was a known Vietcong extortion station and thus gave chase to the rice-carrying bandit. The suspected Vietcong had crossed the border before he could be captured, according to Kerry's report.

However, several Swift Boat officers have confided that he more than likely crossed the border to "take a peek". It was often curiosity and some defiance that would led Swifties to "violate" rules on occassion. The border of Cambodia is not a cartoon map, drawn with bright highliters. Knowing where you were at on the chart was important, but the river was the border at this point and easy for Kerry to have landed on the opposite side, take a picture, and bug out.

THE DARN HAT

In a Washington Post interview with Kerry in 2003, A close associate hints: There's a secret compartment in Kerry's briefcase. He carries the black attaché everywhere. Asked about it on several occasions, Kerry brushed it aside. Finally, trapped in an interview, he exhaled and clicked open his case.

"Who told you?" he demanded as he reached inside. "My friends don't know about this."

The hat was a little mildewy. The green camouflage was fading, the seams fraying.

"My good luck hat," Kerry said, happy to see it. "Given to me by a CIA guy as we went in for a special mission in Cambodia."

Kerry put on the hat, pulling the brim over his forehead. His blue button-down shirt and tie clashed with the camouflage. He pointed his finger and raised his thumb, creating an imaginary gun. He looked silly, yet suddenly his campaign message was clear: Citizen-soldier. Linking patriotism to public service. It wasn't complex after all; it was Kerry.

He smiled and aimed his finger: "Pow."

THE REAL STORY

LTjg Kerry was on a routine PSYOPS/Public Affairs mission with a photographer and a Naval Intelligence officer. There were no secret orders to cross into Cambodia and deliver supplies to guerillas, as stated by Kerry. Unless the supplies consisted of 125 TET packages to Vietnamese villagers, as stated in his report. The elements of his story may ring true if taken into context.

Yes, John Kerry did have SEAL teams aboard his boat earlier in the day.

Yes, Mr. Kerry was operating near the border of Cambodia later in the day.

Yes, LTjg Kerry was in a firefight on Christmas Eve, 50 miles from the border. But these events couldn't have possibly been confused as a single incident.

Yes, LT Adams may have appeared to be a CIA operative; after all, he was an Intelligence Officer and you don't go around telling everyone who you are. Especially in hostile territory.

But to make up the "Christmas in Cambodia" story, combining three separate missions, just to make the point that this was a monumental event in Kerry deciding the war was wrong? I don't think so.

I tracked down Lieutenant Adams and phoned him to talk about the hat. I was intercepted by the wife, who wasn't about to hand over the phone to her husband until I made my case. She was trained well, for before I even got the words out of my mouth that I was doing research on Swift Boats, a strong denial was made, "He never served on Swift Boats!" Then, when asked about whether he was an Intelligence Officer and had gone on a mission with Kerry, she stated, "I'm not at liberty to discuss that". So, I tried once more to get around the watchdog and explained that I was not a reporter but a Navy Chief seeking research information. She replied politely at that point, "You have the wrong person."

Well, so much for talking to a shipmate who worked in my line of work. I haven't given up yet on talking with him. I just need to find a way to sneek in when the watchdog is gone.

- instigator
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't that conflict with his diary?
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthy wrote:
Doesn't that conflict with his diary?

I don't know what his diary says.

- instigator
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I actually said 'Peace' before I said 'Pow'", clarified Senator Kerry to former CBS newsman Dan Rather, now reporting for the Walsh County "Bee" of Hoople, ND.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw new ad for Swiftboat Vets.... it's great! my favorite so far is the one with POW'S.... but this one will draw attention of a lot of non military people (and military) because it brings home and reminds everyone that Kerry threw (he says) away the medals that he is now using to proclaim hinself a war hero! What I say to Kerry is: I don't think anymore of your medals now, than you did back then!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: