SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulf1609 wrote:
go vote in this poll. CNN trying to make people believe these documents are authentic.

http://www.cnn.com/

Do you think the recently released memos on President Bush's National Guard service are authentic?

Yes
No
VIEW RESULTS

50/50 right now. Which is surprising, because CNN normally skews their votes.

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but in the May 04 doc..the redaction, it's easy to bring out what's behind it in Photoshop by inverting the document ie..the black and white..and then using levels to pop it up.

It says 5000 Longmont #8.

tip: the "#" sign and it's kerning position relative to the 8 may give further clues here as to whether this was typed, typeset or done on a computer.

It's very hard to tell on this bad scan. But, it might come in handy if they every produce the original.

Was this document faxed? If so, a visible watermark would most likely be from the paper on the receiving end.
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
Am I getting this right?

D Rather is basically saying, it doesn't matter if the documents are forged or not, the story is true because more than one person backs up that the story is true??

Except, I guess, when the people telling the story are 250 swift boat veterans. Then the questions are not so important as their source. In fact, those questions aren't even worth being addressed.
W.P. Wily
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Farmer wrote:

50/50 right now. Which is surprising, because CNN normally skews their votes.

Which just goes to show that 50% of CNNs readers must be complete maroons.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, here's a thought.

We have been dissecting these documents based on the pdf files. Does CBS have the actual documents? If so it would be a simple matter for document experts to examine the original documents and determine their authenticity.

Things like age and composition of the paper, impressions in the paper by the typewriter, chemical composition of the ink, authenticity of the signatures, and all of the issues discussed here can and will be used.

So does CBS have the originals? If they do not it could explain their stonewalling. If they don't who does? We need to raise a thunderous call across the nation. First it was SIGN the FORM 180!, to that we can now add:

CBS - RELEASE THE ORIGINAL MEMOS NOW!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the machine they will say produced the documents:

http://www.ibmcomposer.org/docs/Selectric%20Composer%20Operations%20Manual.pdf

The Selectric Composer was release in 1966 and is more of a typesetting machine in terms of trying to create the documents in question.

It has the ability to center, change font sizes, and has proportional spacing.

The whole manual is created with the composer and the Press Roman font looks similiar.

Can any of you help me look at this and see if we can rule out that it was used?

Last edited by noc on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuwan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: It's the cover-up! Reply with quote

It's not the crime, it's the cover-up

I'm really surprised at Rather's response, insisting that the documents are real. I would have thought that the fear of a ruined reputation and lost credibility would at least have forced him to wait until the documents can be further examined. But no, instead the moron comes out and and further insists that they are authentic.

This really shows his true colors. ANY respectable news man would at least wait until the documents can be further researched, both their source and authenticity, by other outside experts. Instead he blindly assures to us that they are real shows his true liberal bias for what it is.

If/when these are proven to be forgeries, Rather will go down in flames. There's no stopping it now. When presented with credible evidence that the documents are fake he didn't take an objective step back, he blindly accepted what he wanted to be the truth, ignoring the mounting evidence.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
This may be the machine they will say produced the documents:

http://www.ibmcomposer.org/docs/Selectric%20Composer%20Operations%20Manual.pdf

The Selectric Composer was release in 1966 and is more of a typesetting machine in terms of trying to create the documents in question.

It has the ability to center, change font sizes, and has proportional spacing.

The whole manual is created with the composer and the Press Roman font looks similiar.

Can of you help me look at this and see if we can rule out that it was used?

The only problem being this type of machine would not have been in use on a national guard base. They always got the handmedown equipment.

[Edited addition] Aparrently after searching through the manual it didn't have the ability to "superscript" and even though it did have the tiny "1/4" and "1/2" it didn't have a tiny superscripted "th"

Last edited by azpatriot on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking short notes and quick memos. They would not have bothered to proportionally space or do superscripts in a different type size on a machine like this due to the long tedious task setting it up to do it. Assuming, of course, that the TANG even possesed these machines in Bush's wing.
There is a simple way to clear this up:

napnip
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
We are talking short notes and quick memos. They would not have bothered to proportionally space or do superscripts in a different type size on a machine like this do to the long tedious task of doing it. Assuming, of course, that the TANG even possesed these machines in Bush's wing.

Not only that, but the gentleman who allegedly typed these documents (Lt. Col. Killian) was reported to have been a very bad typist and hated typing. Does it make sense that someone who hated typing and was bad at it, would go to the trouble of setting up proportional spacing on an advanced typewriter just for the purpose of typing a few small documents?
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
We are talking short notes and quick memos. They would not have bothered to proportionally space or do superscripts in a different type size on a machine like this due to the long tedious task setting it up to do it. Assuming, of course, that the TANG even possesed these machines in Bush's wing.

The overlay experiment with a Word document proves that the method of creation. There simply is no way to rationalize this blunder away!
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn - azpatriot beat me to it! I came up with the same conclusion he did. I gave the doc a quick scan and can find nothing that indicates the Composer would do superscripting.

The use of such a machine by a poor typist to "whip up a quick MFR" also simply doesn't pass the common-sense test. Anyone who either didn't type or typed poorly would have never sat down and used something like this; they'd have used a simpler machine or had their secretary type it. Killian reputedly either didn't type or typed poorly. Had he typed it, he'd never have used the Composer (assuming one was available - which I doubt).

If he had his secretary type it, I will guarantee it wouldn't have had as many format errors (missing spaces/extra spaces, inconsistent superscripting, nonmilitary word choice, etc . . . .). Most secretaries of that era took pride in the documents they produced - especially if they were the Commander's Secretary! Ditto for HQ clerk/admin types.

Would be great if we could find some of the clerk/admin types in that squadron from the early 1970s - or the hand receipt folks. They should be able to tell us definitively if that squadron had a Composer or not.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the composer did not have the direct ability to superscript, but you could always roll down the roller platen, change the size, type the "th", roll back up, change the size back and continue. I would agree that there is no way this would have been done in 1972. What I am refering to is whether it would have been possible to use it to create the forgery.

Anyone have an opinion on the font style match?

What I am trying to prepare for is if they release the documents and it shows an impact style on paper that looks original.
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:
I know that the composer did not have the direct ability to superscript, but you could always roll down the roller platen, change the size, type the "th", roll back up, change the size back and continue. I would agree that there is no way this would have been done in 1972. What I am refering to is whether it would have been possible to use it to create the forgery.

Anyone have an opinion on the font style match?

What I am trying to prepare for is if they release the documents and it shows an impact style on paper that looks original.

How does a clerk typist center the address header with proportional type?

Roll down the platten, change the golf ball?

The real killer is that typing the same document with Word and then overlaying it proves the fraud.
Absolut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/007780.php

Quote:

Democratic pollster Patrick Caddell told Fox News today that if CBS's National Guard documents are forged, "the race is over":

Longtime Democratic strategist Pat Caddell said Friday that if documents aired by CBS newsman Dan Rather Wednesday night turn out to be forged, as alleged by experts, the presidential race "is over."

"It would be the end of the race," Caddell told Fox News Live. "It would be the end of the race," he repeated.

"[Democratic officials are] so involved in this," the former Carter pollster worried. "They have gotten themselves so involved in this issue [in] the last 24 hours that somebody's going to, if they're not authentic, they're going to be blamed for it. It's incredible to me that they've gotten in this."

Caddell said..."I'm trying to save my party, you know, by telling the truth."

He said that forfeiting the presidential race would be the least of his party's problems if Democrats are tied to any forgery scandal.

"The race is over – and we've got bigger problems than that," he warned.

You heared it here first! And the admission of a fellow Democrat that the Dems are involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 40 of 67

Jump to: