SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hannity Says Who CBS Got Docs From
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Hannity Says Who CBS Got Docs From Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm slightly off on this, but the base of thhis is Hannity is reporting that in an upcoming newspaper article, they will state CBS got documents from a lady in Dallas that was the same lady who "leaked" the Abu Gharib prison photos...
FMBass
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought I heard him say. I'm checking.......
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FMBass wrote:
That's what I thought I heard him say. I'm checking.......

Thanks!! Laughing
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what he said....

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who is this person? I don't remember her from the Abu Graib scandal start.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7096 read that
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe David Hackworth claims the title of the official leaker:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38407

However, all he did was put a stick in everyone's eye.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/01/26/sprj.nirq.abuse/index.html

The only story I remember about a woman releasing photos had to do with the pictures of dead soldiers on the C-130 being returned to the US.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 60 Minutes II contact listed in the article about Hackworth that is the person of interest in RatherGate.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
It's the 60 Minutes II contact listed in the article about Hackworth that is the person of interest in RatherGate.

Here is a clip from the article:

Frederick turned to his brother-in-law, William Lawson, for help. Both feared the younger Frederick would end up taking the fall for what they considered command lapses. So, Lawson sent an e-mail message in March to Hackworth, who is known for challenging the military establishment.
Within minutes, Lawson got a call back from one of Hackworth's associates. The author and commentator put Lawson in touch with the CBS News program "60 Minutes II" and helped set in motion events that led to the public disclosure and apologies by President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Unless the reference is to a woman at CBS, there is no woman involved here. If that is the case, then she didn't "Leak" the photos.
Absolut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannity just mentioned it again... Her name is Mary Mapes.

She is the one who broke the Abu Ghraib stories.

EDIT: Spelling is correct. Doing some research through Google, she is a producer for 60 Minutes II and won the 2000 AWRT "Outstanding Individual Achievement Award".

Last edited by Absolut on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Mapes (CBS Producer in Dallas) is the lady Hannity was referring to

INTERVIEWING With Killian...his son is saying that CBS contacted him, and that he said his father had nothing but good things to say about Bush and such..Very interesting interview!!!

This is from some blog where I searched for Mary Mapes...
http://williamkaminsky.typepad.com/too_many_worlds/2004/05/

Also, for all you journalism junkies who like the "inside baseball" of how a major media outlet (in this case CBS News's 60 Minutes II) interacts with the Pentagon as it's about to break a big scandal, here's the exchange between Charlie and Mary Mapes, the producer of the 60 Minutes II story that appeared last week.

Ms. Mapes's key point is her claim that 60 Minutes II sat on the story at the Pentagon's request for over 2 weeks, showing it only after they discovered the photographs were about to leak in other media outlets and after they informed the Pentagon of this fact and of their intent to air the report finally.

CHARLIE ROSE: Mary, let me just go first to you. Tell me about this story coming to 60 Minutes II because it has gotten such enormous play---how it came to you---and the relationship---because Dan [Rather] said at the end of the broadcast that there had been communication with the military, and you had been sitting on the story for whatever reason.
MARY MAPES: Well, we first got word of this---I think it was in mid-February---and I work with an associate producer Dana Roberson---Dana got the first tip---and we ended up chasing it, chasing it halfway around the world and back again. Trying not just to chase the rumors of it, but---but to find out what the reality of it. And in the beginning, a lot of it was whispered accounts of pictures that existed somewhere, an investigation that was going somewhere against someone, and we were able luckily to narrow that down and get our hands on the pictures which really gave us our first real hard proof that this was real.

CHARLIE ROSE: And what was the conflict within? Tell me about the journalistic decision to go with it. I mean, what did you need before you were willing to go with it? How much pressure was there not to do... to do it? What kind of communication with the Pentagon?

MARY MAPES: Well, we were always going to go with the story. I mean, once we had the facts of the story and the pictures and---and what we felt the context in which we could put the story, we were ready to go with it. When we contacted the Army, and I think this was the---we delayed the story 2 weeks as part of the process and continued to gather information along the way---but---when we first spoke with the Army about providing a spokesperson, which they felt they needed to do, they didn’t have anyone on hand they said who could speak to us at a high enough level about it and ultimately they asked: Please, could you wait until we have a general here or someone who could speak knowledgeably about it. And they also raised concerns about the hostages and Fallujah and the situation in Iraq. And we thought it would be the better part of valor to defer the story for a week, which we did. And then the second week came along and we kind of got the same sort of response from the Pentagon, that they wanted more time for the hostage or Fallujah situation to play itself out, and we got from high levels in the Pentagon a request that we hold it. And then the third week, the week we ran it, we made the decision early on that we were going to run it, in part because---and we had spoken to the Pentagon about this---the pictures were beginning to leak out and the story was beginning to leak out, and it was, um, time to go.

Last edited by ord33 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
FMBass
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannity just quizzed Killian’s son and asked if the CBS Producer’s name was Mary Mavis (sp?) then he asked if that was the same woman who broke the Abu Grhaib story.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP...CBS is going down if what is true on Hannity about CBS contacting Killian's Son!!!---The gentleman is saying he was contacted before the show aired on 60 Minutes, and he said his father thought good things of Bush, didnt know of ANY of the documents and couldnt believe it, and he even gave other names within his unit who felt the same, but apparently CBS didnt bother to check/do any research with them or at least didnt air their version of the story...
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typical msm crap....

Talk to 50 or 100 people that disagree with you, but quote one moron libdem who is sympathetic to the story....

can't wait to see the evidence....

Muhahahahaha......

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

FMBass
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is serious man.

A direct threat to democracy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: