SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Move the MSM through their advertisers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Move the MSM through their advertisers Reply with quote

It has occurred to me that the way to "attack" the main stream media, such as the major network news organizations and even CNN, is by writing to the heads of the companies that advertize with them. If these news organizations start hearing complaints of bias from their advertizers, THAT will have an effect on their editorial policies that we could never hope to achieve. And if company X gets deluged with emails from 54,000 swifties complaining about bias in the network news, I feel quite certain they will make their concerns known to the networks.

So, my suggestion. Lets monitor ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC to see who is buying the ads. And not just the news, but also shows like Today, 60 Minutes and Good Morning America. Lets put up a list of advertizers here in the forum and any email addresses we can find for CEO's or other officers and lets encourage the swifties to write. Maybe we can encourage a little more honest reporting.

Bob
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your point Bob, and believe that your are correct in the way to change the bias if to goto the source of the funding. Lets hit the sponsors and demand accountability.
noMOass
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are PARTIALLY RIGHT!

You dont call a buisness and complain about the news outlet not playing fair and get into the details.

You contact the advertiser and tell them how much you have always enjoyed their product and/or service but that you are going to quit using it as long as they advertise on specific shows such as "Oreilly" or "Hardball".

In order for this to work, everyone who feels the same about these shows will have to boycott together.
skipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Sponsors' Boycott Reply with quote

Agreed, the best way to effect media change is to send strong signals to their sponsors with very specific complaints directed to the specific shows on which they advertise.
For Example:
Craft a form letter that can be signed onto over the internet by everyone of a like mind so that it is delivered in the form of a petition which includes many signatures. One might be directed to O'Reilly's sponsors, for example, with a strong objection that BOR portrayed the Swiftees as political hatchetmen instead of patriots standing up against the indignities they suffered at Kerry's slanders. It might include the fact that John O'Neill first took Kerry to task in 1971, long before there was a Bush in the White House, or a "Right Wing Conspiracy." Of course it would include the message that you like the product but will switch to a competitor unless they take BOR to task.
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea, but a letter to any company needs to be worded in a way as to say it is because of the obvious bias of this show (BOR for example) in the way it is reporting certain matters as fact instead of stating that it is of there opinion, and also of reporting certain news without showing all the facts from all sides of the story. Even though I enjoy your product, it is for this reason that I (We) will no longer buy your product or support your company in any way while you advertise with this program.

Any way you get what I mean, I hope. Smile

If you send a letter saying you don’t like the program because they are liberal and I am conservative and I don’t like the what they are saying, you wont get much response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: