SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beldar following up on the 6 (yes SIX) MEMOs angle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Beldar following up on the 6 (yes SIX) MEMOs angle Reply with quote

lrb111 wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-09-09bushdocs.pdf

There were 6 memos not just 4. These appear to be what CBS sent to USA today.. They look different, to me, but i'm posting the heads up, before viewing them..

After lrb111 heads up, I followed up by an email to Beldar.... who has knocked the ball out of the park with his write up.

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2004/09/rasupthsupergat_1.html Just amazing.

I have to say at this point we almost have to thank Rather for his denials, as he is only making Rathergate far more interesting by holding the line.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2004_09/004678.php
MORE KILLIAN MEMOS....This is weird. I haven't seen this reported anywhere else, but an emailer just pointed out that USA Today's story last Thursday about the Killian memos says that they also obtained copies of the memos. What's more, even though their story doesn't mention it, the PDF on their site contains two new memos. One is dated February 2, 1972, and asks for an update on Bush's flight certification, and the other is dated June 24, 1973, and asks for advice on how to handle Bush's year-end evaluation since Bush hadn't been training in Houston since April 1972.

The authors of the USA Today piece are Dave Moniz and Jim Drinkard, who have been following the National Guard story for years and have pretty good sources. I spoke to Moniz a few minutes ago and he confirmed that he obtained the documents from his own sources after CBS initially aired them. (Although note that his source may be the same as CBS's. There's no way to know at this point.)
hammondb3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were caught in this web of deceit there would be two actions that could possibly lend a little credence to my case.

1. Produce a few more faked documents, done in MS Word, that contain no damning information. Throw out just a few innocuous administrative pieces that have the look and feel of the faked 'content-rich' items.

2. Get somebody ELSE to bring these to the publis'c attention.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Strong: CBS's best witness

Quote:
The Real Robert Strong

By my reckoning, there are only two "witnesses" relied on by CBS News to support its forgery scam who have not already repudiated the statements attributed to them by CBS: Marcel Matley, according to our sources a virulent and obsessive Bush-hater, who has purported to authenticate only a single signature on a forged document (contrary to what he himself has described as proper practice), and Robert Strong. Mr. Strong is something of a mystery man; several candidates for the role have been suggested. It is unclear exactly what support for CBS's story Mr. Strong actually supplies. CBS's description of his role is vague, at best:

Robert Strong was an administrative officer for the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam years. He knew Jerry Killian, the man credited with writing the documents. And paper work, like these documents, was Strong's specialty. He is standing by his judgment that the documents are real.

"They are compatible with the way business was done at that time," Strong said. "They are compatible with the man I remember Jerry Killian being. I don't see anything in the documents that's discordant with what were the times, the situation or the people involved."

This "endorsement" of CBS's hoax--the forged documents are "compatible with the way business was done at that time"--is so weak that Mr. Strong is, perhaps, not worth pursuing.

As it happens, though, we have not only identified the real Robert Strong, but have, through one of our readers, interviewed him.

Robert Strong is a professor of English who lives in a rural area west of Austin, Texas. One of his neighbors happens to be a Power Line reader. Last Wednesday afternoon, shortly before CBS broke the fake document story, our reader encountered Strong on the road that passes by their homes. Strong noted that the sign leading to their road had been knocked down, and asked our correspondent not to put it back up for a while because "I have things going on in my life...reporters are trying to talk to me."

Our correspondent asked, About what? Strong answered, About Bush's National Guard service. Strong said that in his opinion, President Bush hadn't properly completed his service. Strong told our correspondent that "some new documents have turned up." These new documents turned up "because of the Swift Boat Vets' ads. Bush's people shouldn't have gotten involved in them. Those Swift Boat Vet ads made people mad, and as a result these new documents came up." Strong expressed the opinion that "Bush is getting what is coming to him because of his people's involvement in the Swift Boat Vets' ads."

Strong said that he had served with President Bush in the Texas Air National Guard, which was news to our correspondent, who had never heard Strong mention such National Guard service.

In a follow-up conversation, Robert Strong told our correspondent that he worked with Jerry Killian in the Air National Guard from 1968 to the early 1970’s. He said that he believed that the CBS documents were genuine, but admitted that he “cannot vouch for the documents’ authenticity.” Further, Strong said that he doesn’t think it matters whether the documents are genuine are not.

Like many English professors, Strong has always been anti-Bush. At the same time, notwithstanding his claim to have served in the Texas Air National Guard, Strong admitted that he had never served with or even met Lt. Bush. He admitted further that Jerry Killlian had never discussed Lt. Bush with him. Strong acknowledged that he had “no personal knowledge about Bush’s service.”

Even though he admittedly could not vouch for the authenticity of the memos, Strong said he thought that they “seemed to fit the time and the man that Killian was.”

Strong added that the controversy over fonts was “ridiculous.” He said that the National Guard had Selectric typewriters, and the Selectric had a ball that could be changed out to type superscripts. He had nothing to offer on whether the Selectric balls duplicated the superscripts found on Word, or whether the Selectric balls could produce proportional fonts, kerning, or centered titles.

Strong said that he had no idea who “found” the documents, or where they came from.

Strong said further that he had just given an interview to USA Today. Watch for it in the morning, and ask yourself whether the USA Today reporter questioned Strong as intelligently as his neighbor did.

Bottom line: Robert Strong is an inoffensive English professor who dislikes, but has never met, President Bush; he has no idea whether the CBS documents are authentic; he never discussed Lt. Bush with Jerry Killian; and he has “no personal knowledge” about President Bush’s National Guard service. The only information Strong actually brings to the table is his confirmation that the CBS documents “turned up” as retribution for the Swift Boat Vets’ attacks on John Kerry.

And this is the best witness CBS News can bring forward in support of its smear of President Bush.
Posted by Hindrocket at 10:28 PM | Permalink | TrackBack (3)

http://www.powerlineblog.com/
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomorelies wrote:

Quote:
The Real Robert Strong

By my reckoning, there are only two "witnesses" relied on by CBS News to support its forgery scam who have not already repudiated the statements attributed to them by CBS: Marcel Matley,

The only really really interesting thing going on today is waiting for CBS to buckle under the preasure. Dan Rather has to know he has no hope of maintaining that these documents could have been created in 72-73.

The only people who are still maintaining they are real is CBS....and all the other reporters are watching almost silently. One of MSM Champion's is about to be be destroyed by his own hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: