SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry: I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Kerry: I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control Reply with quote

Presidential candidate John Kerry promised over the weekend that he would "take on the terrorists" who attacked the U.S. on 9/11 by forcing them to obey America's gun control laws.

Kerry said laws like the Assault Weapons Ban, which expires today, were valuable "not just to fight ordinary crime but to take on terrorists."

And he complained that President Bush was "making the job of the terrorists easier" by not pushing for a renewal of the sweeping gun control law.

"The 9/11 commission and other reports have shown that al-Qaida wanted to come into America, and in the al-Qaida manual of terror, they were telling people to go out and buy assault weapons," Kerry told a crowd in Missouri.

The top Democrat did not explain why the Assault Weapons Ban failed to protect America against the 9/11 attacks, which were executed by al-Qaida operatives armed with small knives.

Nor did Kerry say how many terrorists had been arrested and charged with violations under the Assault Weapons Ban.

SOMEBODY GET ME A BAT!!!
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if that don't work...he'll B*tch slap'em.

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
MAXX
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Even Russia is now endorsing the US preemption style bigtime Reply with quote

Russia endorses preemption.. So this must be a useful strategy against the "political Islam" and its tentacles..

cheers !
MAXX (from Austria)

http://asia.search.news.yahoo.com/search/news_asia_pf?p=ukey%3A2805778&img=http://sg.yimg.com/xp/ap/20040913/1104086205.jpg

Monday September 13, 09:36 AM

Russia Says It Can Hit Militants Abroad

Russia has the right to carry out pre-emptive strikes on militant bases abroad, Russia's defense minister said Sunday, citing the school hostage crisis. He said Moscow and the United States see eye to eye on fighting terrorism.

Sergei Ivanov did not say what countries might be possible targets for a strike, but Russian officials in the past have said Chechen separatists have bases in nearby Georgia, and Moscow has had friction with that country's pro-U.S. government over the issue.

President Vladimir Putin has blamed international terrorism for the school hostage crisis at Beslan in southern Russia where at least 330 hostages died on Sept. 3. He lashed out at those in the West who continued to advise Russia to conduct peace talks with rebels in Chechnya, sneering that they should negotiate with Osama bin Laden.

President Bush visited the Russian Embassy in Washington on Sunday, signing a book of condolence for victims of the school hostage seizure and expressing outrage at the actions of "evil terrorists."

"The atrocities that took place in the school were beyond comprehension," the president told reporters.

Ivanov told the NTV television channel he had spoken twice with U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld last week, adding the U.S. administration was more receptive to Moscow's arguments on how to fight terror than some European officials.

"The Americans and the U.S. military have a better understanding of the seriousness of this threat since we and the United States have both been targeted in powerful terror attacks," Ivanov said in the television interview.

"In that sense, it has been easier for us to find a basis for mutual understanding with the United States than with some of the European nations."

There was no immediate U.S. comment on Russia's right to pre-emptive strikes. Speaking Sunday on Fox television, Secretary of State Colin Powell said the school seizure and other recent attacks in Russia highlighted the need for stronger global anti-terror efforts.

"We have to do even more together to make sure the civilized worlds join together in the war against terrorism," Powell said.

In Sunday's interview, Ivanov repeated an earlier statement that a "pre-emptive strike may involve anything, except nuclear weapons."

"They have declared a war on us, we have come under attack, so all means are good in a war," he said. "We have permanent readiness units, precision air-launched weapons and so on."

Officials have identified some of more than 30 attackers in the school seizure as Chechens, and have said that others included Arabs and citizens of other nations.

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said the school hostage-taking was directed by Shamil L Basayev, the most notorious of the warlords leading Chechen rebels who have been fighting Russian forces for five years.

Lavrov also said Aslan Maskhadov. Chechnya's president from 1996-99, was connected to the hostage-taking.

An envoy for Maskhadov, Akhmed Zakayev, told the German magazine Der Spiegel that he and Maskhadov had offered to negotiate during the crisis and Maskhadov's followers have no connection with Basayev.

Ivanov said many of the hostage takers had been eager to save their own lives and "Not all of them were suicide attackers. In the first night after the seizure ... some of the terrorists left the school to explore possible ways of retreat."

In an apparent attempt to exploit reported dissension among Chechen rebels, a Russian security official said Saturday that Chechen militants are eligible for a $10 million reward for information about top rebel leaders.

On Saturday, the newspaper Gazeta reported that the hostage-takers' leader was believed to be Ruslan Khuchbarov from neighboring Ingushetia.

The newspaper said the raiders' leader has not been identified as being among the dead militants, but deputy prosecutor-general Vladimir Kolesnikov said the leader was among the dead.

On Saturday, the Interfax news agency cited the Russian health ministry as saying 353 people wounded in the attack remained hospitalized, including 216 children.
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry: I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control Reply with quote

powsnmias wrote:
Presidential candidate John Kerry promised over the weekend that he would "take on the terrorists" who attacked the U.S. on 9/11 by forcing them to obey America's gun control laws.

Kerry said laws like the Assault Weapons Ban, which expires today, were valuable "not just to fight ordinary crime but to take on terrorists."

And he complained that President Bush was "making the job of the terrorists easier" by not pushing for a renewal of the sweeping gun control law.

"The 9/11 commission and other reports have shown that al-Qaida wanted to come into America, and in the al-Qaida manual of terror, they were telling people to go out and buy assault weapons," Kerry told a crowd in Missouri.

The top Democrat did not explain why the Assault Weapons Ban failed to protect America against the 9/11 attacks, which were executed by al-Qaida operatives armed with small knives.

Nor did Kerry say how many terrorists had been arrested and charged with violations under the Assault Weapons Ban.

SOMEBODY GET ME A BAT!!!

The idiot mentality of these people is simply breathtaking. There are studies now which document that wherever guns are restricted, crime skyrockets, and where right to carry exists, crime plummets. But, since the findings of such studies (John Lott??) go against the so-called conventional wisdom, they carry no validity, even though it is reality and takes into consideration human nature. What criminal will risk assaulting an armed potential victim? He will look for easier prey. One can logically extend this to a situation where armed Americans are in a position to possibly prevent a terrorist action. Didn't a gun-carrying college student (former law enforcement officer??) in Virginia put an end to a shooting spree by another student? Where do these morons get off, even thinking that any terrorists would consider obeying our (misguided) gun control laws in an effort to do us harm? They don't give a s--t about us and our laws, and it's high time we got back to basics and the Bill of Rights. Teach our kids to shoot and handle firearms responsibly, like our forefathers did. Hell, in Switzerland, every male serves in the armed forces, and after his active duty, is in the reserve until age 55, I believe, and maintains a full kit and automatic weapon AT HIS HOME. Same in Israel. Someone check the murder and crime rate in those two countries, absent the Palestinian terrorism in Israel. It's not that significant.

If you restrict guns and forbid law abiding citizens from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, then only criminals will have the guns...

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to John:

Conceal & Carry States = Low crime rate.
Strict Gun Control Areas = High Crime Rate

What part of DUH don't you understand?

Time to add a new Thomas Jefferson quote to my footer.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, if I don't have MY gun, how am I going to shoot a terrorist if ever confronted? Terrorists are going to get guns period. I'm concerned about gang bangers having guns, but this bill was not the way to stop it.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not count how many newscasts today have said the ban ending will now allow the purchase of fully automatic weapons. They keep mentioning AK-47s UZIs and the like.

I hope Kerry knows the difference between fully automatic and semi-automatic weapons having served in the military but I don't think any of the newscasters do.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry wouldn't know the difference either....

No one's getting my gun.... I don't even know where I hide it! oh, I think it's in that box of Kerry forged documents.... spares, you know.

OF COURSE, we don't need guns - we'll overtake the terrorists with SPITBALLS!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: ...Gun Control Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
...I'm concerned about gang bangers having guns, but this bill was not the way to stop it....

The Kerry camp assumes that law enforcement will be nuanced out of doing it's job and a more sensitive way is needed to curb crime. This is a little off topic but we all know the way to curb crime is to ENFORCE THE FRIGGIN LAW. Make it painful enough and they will stop.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not up on the history of gun laws in this country and want a great novel to read while you get some history read Unintended Consequences By John Ross http://www.libertybookshop.us/mall/Unintended-Consequences.htm . Also a good quick read is Dial 911 and Die http://www.dial911.itgo.com/ . Other then that you guys seem to got this topic under-control.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the ignorance of that man knows no bounds! Sad thing is their are people who buy that argument and some who will follow his lead just because they are afraid of guns.
Mr Kerry, did Terrorist use guns in the 9/11 Attacks ? No of course not!
Mr. Kerry, did Terrorist use guns in the first WTC Bombing? No!
Mr. Kerry, did the Terrorist use guns to blow up our Embassies in Africa? NO!!
Mr. Kerry, what is the favorite method of Terrorist? Explosives!!!
Hurry on down to the local Agricultural Supply and to the nearest Gas Station and you will have the 2 major components needed to bring down a building or create mass casualties in an open area.
What a fool!! So who is using the tactics of "Scare"?!?!?
MikeM
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was SO important, then why didn't JK and ALL his lib cronies in the CONGRESS get together and craft a renewal bill?

I thought congress was the branch of govt. that is supposed to craft legislation. And now he tries to blame GW for his failures? What a wuss!
Redleg
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would believe that John Kerry is pandering only to the gullible far left anti-gun liberals. Kerry is probably the very most anti-gun democrat in congress.
As Kerry stated yesterday: Now terrorist can have the very same assault weapons (to attack us with, I assume.) that were banned. Don't look now but these semi-auto military look alike rifles & pistols have always been available. With a few minor changes like the removal of the fearsome bayonnet lug and sidious flash hider, the currently manufactured rifles are the same as before the do nothing-feel good Clinton Crime bill.
The wheels are fast falling off the Kerry presidential vehicle that he will say anything to see what sticks to the wall.
Come on John get a grip! (Pun intended)

Last edited by Redleg on Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know what an 'assault weapon' is right? its just non performance enhancing accesories on a regular rifle. Kerry is such an idiot, hes telling people an 'assault weapon' is an uzi or an ak-47 , i wonder if this jackass knows automatic weapons have been banned since the 20s or 30s and the only guns used by terrorists are illegaly purchased. Kerry just kicked in the face every gun owner by talking to them as if they dont have a clue about the law.
Skywatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any gun law here would influence a terrorist's gun acquisition methods. With the availability of now legal "assault weapons", it makes perfect sense for terrorists to come to the US and pony up the big $$$ for a new semi-automatic assault weapon rather than those cheesy full auto weapons available all over the middle east for chump change. This same ridiculous argument was used to try and close the gun show "loophole"; That terroroists would actually come to the US to shop for weapons at our gun shows. Gimme a break!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: