SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Times Reviews Kerry Flack...er...Flick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: NY Times Reviews Kerry Flack...er...Flick Reply with quote

Kerry's fable hitting the cutting room floor?

Quote:
THE DIRECTOR
Film Walks Line Between Kerry Ad and War Documentary
By SHARON WAXMAN
NY Times
Published: September 14, 2004

TORONTO, Sept. 13 - The premiere on Tuesday night of a sympathetic documentary about Senator John Kerry stakes out new territory at the crossroads of politics and cinema: will audiences pay to see what amounts to a two-hour political tribute to a man spotlighted free on the news every night? Can a theatrically released feature film create last-minute momentum for a presidential candidate? Could the effort boomerang?

Those questions, similar to ones raised by Michael Moore's anti-Bush documentary, "Fahrenheit 9/11," loom large as "Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry," directed by a longtime friend of Mr. Kerry, George Butler, makes its debut at the Toronto Film Festival, with the window for finding out the answers excruciatingly small. The film will open in 200 theaters on Oct. 1, less than five weeks before the election.

Acquired just six weeks ago by ThinkFilm, based in Canada, "Going Upriver" has shifted in content and story line almost daily. Three weeks ago, the film was far different, before the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth emerged to attack Senator Kerry's wartime record, the filmmakers said.

"George took a hatchet to the film," said Mark Urman, the head of distribution for ThinkFilm, and the focus was tightened exclusively to the Vietnam era. "The film was suddenly printed in capital letters. He took out anything that didn't address the point: who is this man, and why do we care about him?"

<snip>

Even less than 24 hours before the premiere, "Going Upriver" is not quite finished. The print being shown at the festival is an incomplete digital version that will be transferred to 35-millimeter film for the national release in two weeks. The film's distributors concede they are in uncharted waters, and are trying to figure out as they go how to make the $1.2 million budget movie a success.

"This film is being made as history as being made," Mr. Urman said. "I've never been involved with something that is so now. It's film distribution as performance art, and it's very exciting. We're making it up as we go along."

(Why are we not surprised?)

(Emphasis mine)

NY Times con't
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: NY Times Reviews Kerry Flack...er...Flick Reply with quote

Quote:

"Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry,"

The What? Must have been that 2nd tour

Quote:

"Going Upriver" [i]has shifted in content and story line almost daily

Sounds like it's biographical and accurate too.

Quote:

Three weeks ago, the film was far different, before the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth emerged to attack Senator Kerry's wartime record

Strange so was John

Quote:

"George took a hatchet to the film," said Mark Urman,

Sounds like his campaign staff.

Quote:

"The film was suddenly printed in capital letters. He took out anything that didn't address the point:

But changes his mind because there was nothing was left.

Quote:

who is this man, and why do we care about him?"

This part will take about 30 seconds

Quote:

Even less than 24 hours before the premiere, "Going Upriver" is not quite finished. The print being shown at the festival is an incomplete digital version that will be transferred to 35-millimeter film for the national release in two weeks.

As is the canidate

Quote:

The film's distributors concede they are in uncharted waters,

Ah the Cambodia episode!

Quote:

and are trying to figure out as they go how to make the $1.2 million budget movie a success.
Discount tickets Nov 3rd

Quote:

"This film is being made as history as being made," Mr. Urman said.

or rather history is being made up as history is being made up.

Quote:

"I've never been involved with something that is so now. It's film distribution as performance art, and it's very exciting.

And you better look now cos later it's something different.

Quote:

We're making it up as we go along."

Biographical and accurate.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Kerry film Reply with quote

Is Kerry "Going Upriver" without a paddle?
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe if this picture is accurate why don't they release it as a
comedy of errors? I bet more people would want to see that than
the long movie of Kerry being the only hero to come out of Vietnam.

Did this man's ego actually think his time in Vietnam was worth making
a movie about? I sit in wonder at the gall of this man. Wink
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The John Kerry Story

Starring Danny Devito as John Kerry
It starts small, but gets bigger with each telling

Also staring
Sean Penn as the band of brother..................

Also staring "Flipper" as John's stunt double

See the excitement of war. See gruesome splinter wounds as they are treated in the field with bandaids.

See the Hero wear more metal than what was removed from him.

I'm tired someone else finish this.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let me guess? It will be released in theatres in key battle ground states? Outrageous! Pure propoganda. Unbelievable. Now I am forced to say the obvious: what if the Bush people made a movie that was nothing but glowing attributes of Bush? My God, the squealing and snorting would be heard round the world.

Maybe Bush supporters should pack the theatres, acting out the parts a la Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just expose it as the totally camp piece of parody it is. We could all dress up like John Kerry with fatigues and about 75 medals, looking like an Ugandan war lord, and sporting hideous circa 1971 Kerry wigs. Some of us could come wearing those inflatable life jackets and carrying rubber duckys. Others could have our butts taped up to cover our self inflicted shrapnel wounds.

Sounds like a good job for the college and young Republicans.
The Balloon Artist
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala Rocky Horror Picture Show

Throw bandaids or toilet paper. He has worse scars from shaving nicks

Throw rice

OH NO Meatloaf Again! With Hienz Ketchup auugh
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"George took a hatchet to the film," said Mark Urman, the head of distribution for ThinkFilm, and the focus was tightened exclusively to the Vietnam era.

That's Hollywoodspeak for "purging out the most obvious lies, fabrications and fantasies, particularly the ones that the SBVT have revealed."

If Kerry had signed the 180, there would be no movie at all.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the Kerry campaign I would do everything possible to
stop this film. This is going to start the whole debate over again
and the only people that kerry needs desparately to convince
to vote for him DON'T want to hear anything more about Vietnam.

Amazing, just amazing.

Again fallout from the TRUTH from the Swiftvets.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the film that has bullets splashing in the water all around the cheesy punk, while he swims to save...uh...lessee, when was he in the water? If it's based on his homemade 8 mm, they could have saved money by making it into an animated cartoon. Which Disney character does he look the most like? Goofy? Pluto?
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like an opportunity to picket the theaters that will show it. Any interest in organizing something? I don't know the first thing about organizing something like this, but I'd be willing to participate!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they using Kerry's own staged footage from when he was there? Gotta be a proud thing to be the guy that went to vietnam because he was turned down when he preferred hanging out in Paris, brought a video camera to the 'atrocity' filled war, and got scrapnel at least twice from your own doing. Best one is one he was hit in the a** because he didn't run fast enough. Wink
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohanakat wrote:
Seems like an opportunity to picket the theaters that will show it. Any interest in organizing something? I don't know the first thing about organizing something like this, but I'd be willing to participate!

I'm for it here in Biloxi, MS...'course, right now there's
a problem looming named Ivan...but...when someone
knows the release to public dates and places, let me know.
I've never picketed either, but I'm a fast study Smile
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Seems like an opportunity to picket the theaters that will show it. Any interest in organizing something? I don't know the first thing about organizing something like this, but I'd be willing to participate!]

But of course when you picket you will hand out flyers pointing out the inconsistencies in John "Alvin York" Kerry's fables. First purple heart but his diary says they were not shot at.

AAR on Rassman rescue. Otherwise a magic metal that can repel bullets for 90 minutes. Also his new story is that the other boats did stay behind. Before, they all fled and he stayed behind.

Also Christmas in Cambodia is seared in his brain. Yeah, pan fried rice hit him in the head.

Make sure you have web links to the inconsistencies. [/quote]
army72
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that they would include the atrocities that Kerry made...er filmed.

Name it the Ever Evolving Story.. have Moore direct and act like another hero waving to the peons...oops.. I meant to say downtrodden..

BandAid could be the sponsor.

It would take 4 months to complete with more medals flying than lead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: