SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PO Box 34567 - More CBS Document Forgery Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: PO Box 34567 - More CBS Document Forgery Data Reply with quote

Sorry that I couldn't include this in the main discussion on the CBS Document Forgery, but the system is giving me hell trying to post in there (I keep getting HTML hash served up).

I wrote an article in ChronWatch regarding the CBS Document forgery (LINK) and one point I made was that the PO Box number on the heading of the memo seemed a bit odd. 34567? A five digit sequential number? Well, somebody researched this (I'm withholding the name until I get their permission to post it) and here's what they had to say...

Quote:
Doc,

Another Point about CBS,

Zip code 77034 does not have and never has had PO Boxes.
The closest Zip code in Houston with PO Boxes is 77032.
PO Box 34567 Houston, Texas 77034 never existed in 1972

My company is in the data business and has the history on addresses.

Propostional spacing was introduced in 1980 with the Xerox Memorywriter which competed with the IBM Selectric.
I wouldn't be so sure IBM didn't have a Times Roman font ball. They definitely didn't have it in proportinnal spacing.

I spent 28 years with Xerox in sales and sales training.

Superscript didn't become available until laser printers in 1984 with the HP Laser Jet.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
rsrobinson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who's dumber: the forger who thought he could get away with creating 1973 memos using MS Word defaults and laughably phony P.O. box numbers, or Dan Rather and the fact-checking monkeys at CBS News who swallowed this stuff whole.
hammondb3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parastou Magazine
P.O. BOX 376
Frisco, TX 77034
(972) 233-xxxx

Found this one right away with Google. It's a low number and that alonew makes me suspicious of a 5 digit PO box existing 30 years ago when 3 digit numbers work in 2004.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsrobinson wrote:
I don't know who's dumber: the forger who thought he could get away with creating 1973 memos using MS Word defaults and laughably phony P.O. box numbers, or Dan Rather and the fact-checking monkeys at CBS News who swallowed this stuff whole.

Please --- no "Kerry" defamation on this forum: monkeys would have done a better job of fact-checking.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People,

The PO Box is no-go. It appears on some of Bush's official documents. Anyone who's bothered to look at the real documents knows that.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34567 probably wasn't a ZIP code - it may just have been the Unit PO box in the base administrative building.
Interested
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the address with the PO box appears on the bottom left of this form from Bush's record

http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc7.gif

It seemed too wierd to me at first also, but it's a non-starter as YGTBK states
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY significance to the PO Box number is that it was used AT ALL, regardless of whether or not it is a valid number. The proper address would have been the UNIT ID.

It's like wearing ribbons on utilities. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't make it correct. Or acceptable by military standards. And is contrary to regulations.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People concentrate on the real discrepancies of the forgeries. The PO Box is legitimate, it is confirmed as being the Units and is on Official Documents in the Presidents File. As has been stated here already, it is a Non-Issue.
Focus on the bogus signatures, the use of type that was either not available or at the very least unfeasable for LTC. Killian to have used.
So many experts have come forward and hit on these facts already, it is what should be focused on. Clouding the facts is not helpful, it may even be counterproductive. "Look they say the PO Box is wrong, but see here and here and here, in all these other documents, the same PO Box!! There it is, they must be wrong about everything else!"
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are SIX aspects to debunking the forgeries.

1) The mechanicals. This includes the paper, the font, the spacing, the character set, and layout. All of this is totally consistent with being producted by Word on a PC.

2) The signatures. The handwritten parts of the memos, to include initials and notations.

3) The format. This includes the style elements of the memo, the way it is rendered on the paper.

4) The content. This includes the events, personalities, and places referenced in the document.

5) The references. This includes any military documents called out as being the cognizant authority for the actions specified.

6) The timeline. This includes any references to actions in time, to include anachronisms or errors in dates (not the format of the dates, but the dates themselves).

So far, a lot has been made of the mechanicals. That is sufficient cause and justification to examine (and debunk) the rest. The first part has proven to be fairly easy (although, it is far more difficult to convince people who should KNOW better that it IS a mechanical impossiblity).

The rest is going to take some time and effort. And there is no sense in spinning our wheels on known-valid references such as the PO Box number. Now, the fact that a PO Box number was used on an MOR is a valid point for contest, simply because an MOR wouldn't be mailed, so there is no reason to have a mailing address on it. Unit address, yes. Mailing address, no.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
1stgpsf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: ZIP codes Reply with quote

You have it right on that PO Box. I did same search. Also, the address for Bush's apartment also has the wrong ZIP. Other small errors such as two of the documents were initiated on a Saturday or Sunday. One has an execution date for GWB to get a physical in ten days which ends on a Sunday. Other small things.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammondb3 wrote:
Parastou Magazine
P.O. BOX 376
Frisco, TX 77034
(972) 233-xxxx

Found this one right away with Google. It's a low number and that alonew makes me suspicious of a 5 digit PO box existing 30 years ago when 3 digit numbers work in 2004.

Frisco is straight north of Dallas and about 20 miles east of Denton.

I punched 77034 into the zip code search and got Houston.
http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.htm
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip codes have changed in 30 years. The address is correct and matches addresses on known-legitimate paperwork. Give it a rest already!

The National Guard works on weekends, for crying out loud! Please do some reading of the bazillion posts here and elsewhere before posting this. It's not likely that there's anything new to uncover at this point.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have checked the ZIP for the base earlier - it's 77034.

I have a personal five digit PO Box - the first two digits are the last two digits of the ZIP code for the post office where it is located and the last three digits are the box number .

SO... notice the first two digits of the listed PO Box number 34567 are *34* - the last two digits of the base ZIP.

Let's all move on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: