SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjohnson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago? Reply with quote

Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?

This question, effectively used by President Reagan when he ran against Jimmy Carter, is now being used by Kerry supporters in a way that shows, in my opinion, that they are indifferent to what happened on 9/11.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny question, that. I know President Reagan used it when he ran against Carter, and it was a fair question at the time. Carter's policies had led to near economic ruin, gas lines, and a general "malaise."

Things are different now, and you are so right in saying the question can't be fairly posed now because of 9/11. We live in a different reality now.

I think this is another non-starter by the Kerry campaign as they continue to be the Campaign In Search of a Message. Or: Let's throw this against the wall and hope it sticks.

It also assumes I believe that The Government is responsible for my being better or worse off than I was 4 years ago, when the truth is that I alone am responsible.

The Kerry people are just pathetic. Every day it is a new slogan, catch phrase or dirty trick. In the words of Ms. Heinz, "Ick."
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, how can it possibly be a relevant or fair question now that we are fighting a very difficult war against islamofascists after being viciously attacked? of course we were happier when at peace!
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: typical of the dems ... Reply with quote

This is so typical and divisive of the dems ... Hey, lets pit us (anyone that lost a job or has a lower paying job) against all them (the bastards that kept their job or got a new better paying one)

Gee maybe we were all in the same boat in 2001, coming out of a recession and then 9/11 ... some folks were affected differently than others ... but we are all trying to improve our fortunes on a day to day struggle ...

Who is a better leader ? Who will create the conditions for them (the underemployed, etc.) to improve their lot. Bush or Kerry ...
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I lost my travel industry related job after 9-11-01. In retrospect it was the best thing that could have happened. I don't make as much money, but I still make more than a "good" living. I am happier. 9-11 and the subsequent job loss caused me to reevaluate my priorities in life.

No, I will not thank the terrorists for redemption of my life ---
I thank God for turning bad into good one more time.
hammondb3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question would be "Will I be better off in the next four years?".

The Bush administration was saddled with an ominous load and the fact that the economy is improving and that jobless rates are strong is testament to Bush's policies and his willingness to stick with them through thick and thin. Had we been presided over by Clinton or Gore we would have been buffeted about by the whims of focus groups and elitist think tanks.

A person has to be nuts to vote for Kerry.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I'm better off today than I was four years ago--

Four years ago my President was named Clinton--C
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question implies kerry can take us back to the days before 9-11. No one can give us that.
coolhand
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much Better. Four years ago, raving lunatics with phony passports could learn to fly jet airliners, show no inclination to learn how to land, buy one way tickets, board a flight with a boxcutter, and kill me. Today that couldnt happen.

Just because you ignore evil doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Living a naive life doesnt make you better off. Ignorance is not bliss. Who really thinks a country that indiscriminately lets mass murders enter our country and roam without scrutiny is a better country.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only am I better off today than four years ago, but more importantly, the United States is better off today than four years ago.

4 more years!!!!

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats simple, YES Very Happy
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA has been through a lot. An attack killing 3,000 of our citizens, 2 wars, killing 1000+soliders. People did not used to ask questions like this during war time. War time was a time when everyone knew u had to hunker down. It will not matter if any of us have a job if we are dead. If Iran keeps playing with nuclear weapons, social security wont' matter. Security has to be first. And yes, Bush has done as good a job, and better than most ,of helping our nation come back.
I shudder to think what our country would be like know if that lunatic Gore had won. Shocked
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at WTC plaza on 9/11. I think that's all I need to say.
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
I was at WTC plaza on 9/11. I think that's all I need to say.

Thank God that you are still with us.

Care to share your story?

P.S. - My family is much safer today than they were four years ago. I don't think any of us knew how much danger our families were in back then. Four More Years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: