SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public School Teacher Comments on SBVT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneal
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Public School Teacher Comments on SBVT Reply with quote

Well guys now I've heard it all and I'm Shocked . My daughter, a senior in high school and newly registered voter, came home from school yesterday saying her World History/US Government teacher said, " The Swiftboat guys are nothing but liars".
She has been hearing alot on the subject of Kerry's "lies and betrayals" from me at home and felt very uncomfortable in this class. He apparently went so far as to tell the kids that they should not believe anything you men say and John Kerry is the "real" hero. I told her we could lend him my books "Tour of Duty" and "Unfit for Command" and my printed info about your group, but she is afraid to approach him. It really upsets me to think my tax dollars are being paid to someone who is filling my child's head with his own misguided personal opinions. A public school education can not be founded on a teacher's personal opinion, but must be based on facts and historical record. Confused I am considering going to the school about this myself, but she is really afraid of negative repercussions from the teacher.
She has listened to the Swiftboat veterans speak, and read the books, and has made up her own mind who is telling the truth. She's a pretty smart cookie and knows a self promoter when she hears one. John Kerry WILL NOT receive her "first" vote. Wink

Admin note: Please try to refrain from making general statements based on anecdotal events. I've taken the liberty of amending your topic title. Thanks
works4me
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know why Mao and Pol Pot and guys like them exterminate the teachers when they take over.

Instead of teaching you how to think and how to learn, they give you all you need to know.

K
grammaj
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneal...

You and your daughter are facing the same 'press' that the Swiftees are. They (Swiftees) are putting their reputations on the line and don't care about the results...they know they are on the side of truth and that's all that matters.

IMHO you need to think long and hard about the consequences of keeping silent. Your daughter is anticipating repercussions but, in my personal experience, the 'grace' of the moment will be there when she needs it.

My prayers are with you to do the right thing.

Gramma J
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is this:

If she can make the decision about her political choices, then she can make the decision about whether to report the teacher. I would tend to ask her to consider reporting the teacher after class is done for the year. However, even that could be risky, because teachers do talk with each other. While I agree with what "grammaj" says about "grace" of the moment, it really does need to be her decision.

I am appalled by this kind of behavior in our schools, but definitely not surprised.
pneal
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gramma for your words of encouragement. In my heart, I knew what I had to do. Guess the "Coach" will have to hear what I have to say on the subject. I may not be able to change his mind, but I can sure make him think twice before he spouts his personal opinions in class to students again. I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

grammaj wrote:
pneal...

You and your daughter are facing the same 'press' that the Swiftees are. They (Swiftees) are putting their reputations on the line and don't care about the results...they know they are on the side of truth and that's all that matters.

IMHO you need to think long and hard about the consequences of keeping silent. Your daughter is anticipating repercussions but, in my personal experience, the 'grace' of the moment will be there when she needs it.

My prayers are with you to do the right thing.

Gramma J

BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that teachers are predominantly liberals.
They want Kerry and detest Bush.
They especially detest accountability, because it threatens their jobs.
Also, because of tenure, most cannot be fired no matter how bad they are.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report the guy to the principal and the school board.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can "play" these people in such a way that they make themselves look like the fools they are, and you can sit there innocently letting them do it.

Your daughter might try this appoach. Tell the liberal teacher that she admires Kerry and would like to pursue the story further at home on her computer, or better, write a paper on it. She should ask him/her exactly which "lies" have been disproved, and where she can verify or simply read the information. No doubt she will be referred to Kerry's own page, but she has to come back later looking distressed, saying she can't find any factual rebuttals to the SBVT claims, and could the teach give her others. I can't imagine that there will be too many cycles of this, as there is no real factual rebuttals out there, so the teach is going to be getting annoyed at this point, and be left high and dry for things to say. If this is reasonably public, the kids will catch on pretty quickly, as they are inclined to distrust the teachers anyway (internal self defense mechanisms against liberal teachers, I surmise!).

Just a thought. I use it to torture libs in online chat rooms.
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Its a mental problem Reply with quote

I have a friend from my grad. class from the "larry Mcmutry" home

town of Archer City Tx, he is my "best friend" from then to now

he has been a teacher (and a very good one) a principle and a

good one , IN A ALTERNATE SCHOOL , and he cares about his

kids and they call him and thank him, YET HE DOES NOT THINK

that any of the swiftboat "stuff is true" he knows his best friend

spent 18 months in VN , in I-Corps, in stuff, he has seen the

"awards and citations" heard me talk of the "facts of who was

bad, and understands,

YET two weeks ago we had a 2 hr drive to a "social event"

together with our wifes, AFTER I WENT WITH CARE AND COPIES

OF "GUN RUNNING" , THE MAGIC HAT, CHRISTMAS IN CAMBODIA

THE FLYING DOG, ECT, ECT.

HE IS NOW NOT SPEAKING TO ME AND AT THE END OF THE

DRIVE "CHOSE TO RIDE HOME WITH SOME ONE ELSE.

HIS LAST COMMENT WAS, "YOU ARE NUTS" NONE OF THAT

STUFF IS TRUE AND "I VOTEING FOR JOHN KERRY AND WILL

BE PROUD OF IT.

teachers union, or something, it is very scary, they have them

under mind control.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to show your daughter Herbert Spencer.
http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/s/spencer.htm

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

- Herbert Spencer-
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimdale is smart on this, listen. Have her "volunteer" to do a report for extra credit, and ask if she can read it in class. Refute everything the teacher stated, then see what grade she gets. If it's not an A or B, ask for an explanation (in writing, on the report) why not. Take THAT to the school administration. They'll eat crow, or get in touch with the local newspaper. Any good ideas in my post? It depends on how involved in this you and your daughter want to get. I'd leave the final decision up to her. Good luck.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving shortly to Geedunk.

Thanks
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Public School... Reply with quote

pneal wrote:
...John Kerry WILL NOT receive her "first" vote....

I've had that problem, the repercussions of which persist today. The Rather scandal and incidents like these indicate a left tilt to our system. The extreme of that tilt is manifested in the fundamentalist Muslim countries where the first eight years of education include only the Koran. Doing the right thing sometimes takes great courage and nobody I know can tell you what that is. At some time though, we all must face reprisals for our actions. All we can hope for is victory and that usually requires some brave allies.
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John O'Neil... we need you to go to Tennesse and talk to a school group. That would shut the teacher up. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a visit to this site will help you on this issue.
magruder is a good man

http://www.i-served.com/MagruderArticlesIndex.html

Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: