SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS ANNOUNCMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolhand wrote:
According to lucianne, they will admot memos not authentic, but content is legitimate. In other words, they'll say the memos werent originals, but they were based on legitimate info and then they wil try to redirect this at Bush as if he some pressing questions to answer. Its a joke.

That's a huge victory - despite how they try to spin it. It means the bloggers beat one of the biggest media organizations. It means Rather was full of sh!t when he said it's coming from 'partisan political operatives'. It means there will be further repurcutions on CBS, and we may eventually find out the source.

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
coolhand
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And that's what took the extra five hours. Lawyers. Lawyers and more Lawyers. There is a huge shell game going on. CBS will protect themselves as innocent dupes that did not live up to journalistic standards, but did nothing illegal - no complicity, no wilfull blindlness. Its going to funny - I have a strong gut feeling that they will not relent on the story. Rather is sitting there sweating, demanding that this is a right wing plot to take attention off Bush. Its so funny because they're fighting so hard for a nothing story. They think they found something huge. What a bunch of dopes. I guarantee that any explanation they offer will also include "even though the memos cant be authenticated, the story is true and Bush has to answer these serious allegations"....bla bla bla,

Last edited by coolhand on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolajl wrote:
I think it's also the threat of a congressional investigation . . . anything they say right now can be used in the investigation if it ever happens.

If you have not see already......

Quote:
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, September 15, 2004 Contact: Bailey Wood
202-225-5611
Click here for Printer Friendly Version

Rep. Cox Calls for Investigation into Validity of CBS Documents

Request Comes After Network’s Promise of Accuracy
WASHINGTON--Rep. Christopher Cox (R-CA), Chairman of the House Policy Committee and Chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, called on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Telecommunications Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) to investigate CBS News’ use of potentially falsified documents pertaining to President Bush’s National Guard service record.

http://www.cox.house.gov/html/release.cfm?id=766
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they admit the memos are fake but the content is true, that's criminal territory.

See Beldar's blog for an excellent analysis of this.
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Vegas have odds on whether or not they will push it up again?

Stolen Honor
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Congresspersons' letter:

Quote:
To date, CBS’s response to the specific and devastating criticisms of the accuracy of it’s reporting has been to question the motives of its critics, to offer half-truths in it’s own defense, to refuse to disclose crucial evidence, and to circle the wagons. Among the half-truths: CBS has asked us to rely on the authority of Marcel Matley and Bill Glennon, without mentioning that neither man is willing to vouch for the authenticity of the documents in question. CBS reporters would not accept such behavior from public officials like ourselves, and we cannot accept it from them.

Writing that must have felt like sweet revenge--C
debewley
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, VIACOM Broadcastings stock is down about 3% for the last 5 trading days. That's opposed to the general market trend. You think the people there might be getting nervous?
VAW11_Vet
Ensign

I agree that it is the lawyers delaying it but my guess is that Rather has lawyers threatening CBS if they try and make him look like the bad guy.

Striking a balance between what is good for CBS and what is good for Rather must be putting them through sheer h***. God I love it!

How can they possibly argue substance when the evidence is nothing but pure fraud? They will make them look worse.

Last edited by VAW11_Vet on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
coolhand
PO3

Son of a VET wrote:

I wouldnt bet against Lucianne's sources. She is pretty legit on this stuff. Not one to spew off unverified rumors (i.e. the infamous blue dress)
kennyd1165
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: My local station.. Reply with quote

My local station manager just responded to my wife's email stating that the emails would be forwarded to CBS, and that he "shared my frustration". FWIW.
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise here. It's the standard media defense in cases like this.

Rather is going to say something like, "So what if we got a few details wrong? Only partisan political computer geeks in pajamas care about things like type fonts and superscripting. We got the overall story right. It all comes out in the wash. The public's right to know it what matters most, and we told the truth about President Bush's Guard service."

Just you wait.
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolhand wrote:
Son of a VET wrote:

I wouldnt bet against Lucianne's sources. She is pretty legit on this stuff. Not one to spew off unverified rumors (i.e. the infamous blue dress)

I agree with ya. I was talking about the time for the announcement. Very Happy

Stolen Honor
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the release for requests for a congressional hearing stopped them dead in their tracks. At this point if they say the documents are fake it's not going to stop that investigation, in fact I think it even adds more fuel to the fire. CBS has painted themselves into a corner that can't get out of without giving up their source which would blow any slight chance remaining of Kerry getting elected and could even hurt the Democratic in general.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they try to pull the old "Yeah, the documents were obvious forgeries, but believe the story anyway because I said so and you all know what a fine, respected journalist I am" nonsense, CBS is a dead network--All that will be left will be for CSI to decide which of the other broadcast or cable networks to move to--C
Son of a VET

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what it says on Drudge:
CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... NEW TIME: 5:00P

"Clarify" ..........uuummmmm...

Stolen Honor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: