SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS ANNOUNCMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a6502
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question -

Did the nice little old lady ever work on Saturdays?
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that I didn’t type ‘em. However, the information in those is correct,” Ms. Knox told CBS News for tonight’s broadcast.

Translation: I didn't type the memos, but if I had, I know what they would have said.
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets put the preverbal shoe on the other foot. The news story goes something like this:

We have recently uncovered memos that were passed between Dan Rather and a top DNC official. These memos show that there is a conspiracy to effect the presidential election by both the DNC and Dan Rather. We can not really authenticate the memos but our investigation leads us to believe that this is true. We understand that the memos may contain some printed characters that were not available until yesterday but that should not allow you to refute the general tone of these memos. We fully expect that both the DNC and Dan Rather prove that we are inaccurate in our assumption and we will not apologize for accusations that we can not clearly prove. Of course we still will expect the above named parties to once again prove us wrong.

How ludicrous is this?

Rather is judge and jury or at least he thinks he is. What a Dolt!
Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale wrote:
So, to CBS's "ends justify the means" journalism, does the doctored photo of Kerry and Fonda together (i.e. the one seen at http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/kerry2.asp) now become "fake but accurate"?

After all, they both spoke at the 1970 rally, according to Snopes.com, so what was all the kerfluffle about when it came out?

Does anyone remember if and how CBS reported the incident? If so, was there any "righteous indignation" at the parody-forgery?

Boy, do you ever have some good points.

I don't know about CBS, but there was some righteous indignation expressed on some of the television networks. It was only a one or two day story but the talking heads were up in arms at the vast right wing conspiracy would stoop to such levels.

I expect to see that picture in a story by CBS, now, since "Fake, but accurate" appears to be their new standard in journalistic principles.

Oops, forgot, we're not talking about GWB, anymore. Silly me. Rolling Eyes
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to CBS's story on Marion Carr Knox.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/15/60II/main643768.shtml

Here's a little game for you all to play. Try to remember 1972. How much of 1972 do you remember? Ask your friends and loved ones how much they remember 1972.
I'm 48 and my ability to remember detail from 32 years ago isn't very good. I looked through a 1972 school year book and was amazed at my inability to remember the people in it. This 86 year old woman has remarkable recall.
My guess is that if George Bush hadn't been govenor of Texas and president of the United States this woman wouldn't remember him from a hole in the ground.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a typist in a law firm in the early 70's. I have been testing myself to try to remember any content of any letters/memos that I typed back then. NO WAY! Even though many clients were very prominent members of our community and I typed many letters/documents regarding their legal problems, I sure as heck cannot recall any specific content or even what their legal problems were.

She said there were lots of other men there from elite families. I wonder if she has recollections of all the memos she typed about them. I doubt it.
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rightwingnews.com/graphics/clippy.jpg

hilarious pic
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reported on drudge: http://www.drudgereport.com/

CBS EXECS CONCERN OVER VIEWERSHIP PLUNGE; RATHER RATINGS FADE IN MAJOR MARKETS

Outcome doesn't look good for CBS producer, Mary Mapes Laughing
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not sure if this has already been posted) CBS producer, Mary Mapes, was in trouble back in 1999 -

CBS turns over interview with murder defendant
November 10, 1999
Web posted at: 10:58 PM EST (0358 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- To keep a producer from being thrown into jail, CBS News on Wednesday turned over the transcript of an interview that Dan Rather conducted with the third defendant being tried for murder in the dragging death of a black man.

The trial of Shawn Allen Berry, 24, got under way in Jasper, Texas, on Wednesday after a judge refused a defense request for a change of venue.

Two other men, white supremacists John William King and Lawrence Russell Brewer, already have been convicted and sentenced to die for chaining James Byrd Jr. by his ankles to a pickup truck and dragging him along a country road until his body was torn apart.

The interview with Berry was conducted by Rather two months ago. Portions were aired on "60 Minutes II" on September 28. CBS released the entire transcript Wednesday after an appeals court Tuesday refused to overturn two contempt citations against producer Mary Mapes.

Judge Joe Bob Golden, who is presiding at Berry's trial, ordered Mapes jailed twice for refusing to comply with prosecution subpoenas to provide a transcript and videotape of the interview.

CBS President Andrew Heyward said the network "exhausted evey possible legal option" before turning over the material.

"First, let us not lose sight of the most important aspect of this case: A heinous crime was committed, and, as citizens of this country, we believe that those responsible must be brought to justice," Heyward said in a statement released by CBS.

"However, we also believe that a crucially important principle was being threatened in this case: That a free and independent press is one of the cornerstones of a democracy. Journalists cannot be seen as tools of law enforcement or the judicial system. We believe that an attack on this principle is an attack on the First Amendment that can seriously hinder the public's right to a free and open flow of ideas and information."

But, he added, "Defending that principle in this case was not an easy task," and CBS decided to comply with the subpoena because no confidential sources or materials were involved. "The imminent threat by the judge to jail our producer, Mary Mapes, turned an important matter of principle into a media sideshow that diverted attention from the real story -- the trial itself."

link to article: http://www.cnn.com/US/9911/10/dragging.death.cbs/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: