SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memos OCR'd ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Memos OCR'd ??? Reply with quote

Yucch...just a yucko brainstorm:
Somebody check this if you want...I don't have the time...I hate to bring it up, but I got to thinking...
I've done a bit of OCR document scanning, directly into WORD 2000...Word automatically formats the OCR output, at least ReadIris vrs Word on my setup. It is almost impossible to match the original formatting and line breaks and spacing, word and character spacing. My default Word font is Times New Roman also.... comes out with whatever format Word is set for. I played a few minutes this morning, and confirmed. I could not quickly locate a document typed with old style 'th', or whatever, but Word often injects it's automatic superscript function at the most irritating place. I realize this doesn't do anything for the signature, but they can be brought over as an image and pasted into a doc...

No, I still believe those memos are not authentic, but could the ones that wound up in SeeBS's hands have been OCR'd from another hard copy? Thus explaining some of the formatting questions???
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats...got in a hurry...the thread on Kinko's is the clue. Boys and Girls are already on this...that is to say the Kinko Link may explain my OCR brain storm.
Sorry, Moderators
jstoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: why??? Reply with quote

An interesting possibility. But the obivious question is 'Why?' Why would someone take an original document and scan it into a word processor, and only then release it for public scrutiny? Why would a responsible news organization not insist on viewing the original documents before reporting their existence and responding to them as if they were credible sources? It may be possible to scan original documents into WORD; highly but it's also highly unlikely.
Ellis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: why??? Reply with quote

jstoc wrote:
It may be possible to scan original documents into WORD; highly but it's also highly unlikely.

One reason to scan them into Word would be to modify them.

But the docs have so many inconsistencies that I think they were totally made up, not just modified.
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no...those docs were modified, or forged...I'm convinced of that.

BUT I think the title of this forum is Swift Boat Veterans for TRUTH, and I only offer these possibilities, to wit:

IF, someone forged documents on a Selectric, a Royal, a Mac, or whatever, and produced some "original" document
OR
IF they were actually genuine, signature and semantic anomalies aside,
AND
IF they were scanned and OCRd into a word processing program such as Word for electronic distribution, for example, and not simply Zeroxed

Then, that may explain the modern formatting anomalies many of us noticed the very second we saw them, and the person who processed them might not have noticed since he/she was way down on the feed chain. And CBS got caught.

For me, the superscripts jumped right out, immediately. The line spacing was too perfect. It is obvious something is screwy about these docs.

I am not trying to defend them...only offer a possible clue to the genesis of them.

Not only am I SEA Air Force Vet, and am slightly familiar with how some of this stuff looked originally from 1966 to 1970, I worked in the Newspaper business for about five years afterwards, and our top of the line setting equipment was still anticipating such capabilities at the time.

If we can make the wild assumption that CBS received a COPY of memos, actually done on an old clunker, and if they were OCRd for ease of transmission, and because of that, were "accidently" reformatted, then they are hung on their own rope, because it's the FORMAT that everyone noticed first.

It still comes down to: Where are the original Documents???Heck, let's carbon date 'em or something> The PAPER and INK would be a givaway.
I doubt the original paper is even still 'white' and 'crisp'-the high acid content at the time would have them in the same shape some of MY military memos are in....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: