SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Kerry Think He's Still A VVAW Spokesman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Does Kerry Think He's Still A VVAW Spokesman? Reply with quote

We've all read or heard of Kerry's speech today before the National Guard Convention in Las Vegas. Reading the transcript of it on Kerry's web site, makes me wonder if he still thinks he's representing the VVAW trying to entice troops to desert?

The majority of the speech is telling them how wrong Bush is in everything related to the war and even intimating he's been lying to them and treating them vastly different that Active Duty troops. Sound familiar?

Some excerpts;

Quote:
Today, we’ve got people doing multiple deployments – serving 18, 20, even 22 months. We’ve got young kids here at home sending letters to their parents asking: When are you coming home? When will I see you again? And week after week, those mothers and fathers can only write back the same frustrating answer: I just don’t know.

Those in uniform are duty bound to carry out the orders of the Commander in Chief. And I know that for those of you serving there is a natural affection and a sense of duty. I respect that and it should be that way. But in our democracy, which you defend, it is so important to have a truthful conversation about the choices we face in our nation.

Right now, more than 20% of our National Guard and Reserves don’t have health coverage. And two days ago, our President came before you, and promised that he’d give you TRICARE for “up to 90 days before [you] report, and 180 days after de-activation.” That’s a welcome change in their policy, but frankly, I believe that’s simply not good enough.

Right now, thousands in the Guard still aren’t getting their paychecks on time -- and some don’t get them at all.

Right now, too many in the Guard still don’t have the body armor, night vision goggles, and radios they need to do their jobs. Too many are using outdated equipment and hand-me-downs from regular forces – and they’re wondering if today will be the unlucky day when something just doesn’t work. (Note: And which Senator consistently voted against such items?)

Right now, those who serve in the Guard can’t receive retirement benefits until age 60, and this Administration can’t find the funding to lower the age to 55, even while we’re spending $200 billion to go it alone in Iraq.

Right now, members of the Guard serving overseas are losing their paychecks here at home, passed over for promotions, and returning to find that the jobs they once held are gone.

When our Guardsmen and women are fighting the same war as our active duty troops…when they’re facing the same dangers, and coming home in the same wheelchairs, stretchers, and flag-draped coffins…how can we refuse to give them the same resources and respect we give our Regular troops?

And two days ago, President Bush came before you and you received him well, as you should. But I believe he failed the fundamental test of leadership. He failed to tell you the truth. You deserve better.

Two days ago, the President stood right where I’m standing and did not even acknowledge that more than 1,000 men and women have lost their lives in Iraq. He did not tell you that with each passing day, we’re seeing more chaos, more violence, more indiscriminate killings. He did not tell you that with each passing week, our enemies are getting bolder – that Pentagon officials report that entire regions of Iraq are now in the hands of terrorists and extremists. He did not tell you that with each passing month, stability and security seem farther and farther away.

The hard truth is that our president has made serious mistakes in taking us to war with Iraq. He was wrong to rush to war without giving the inspectors time to do their job. He was wrong to rush to war without understanding and planning for the post-war in Iraq – which itself has become an ongoing conflict. He was wrong to rush to war without the allies we needed by our side. He was wrong to send our troops into battle without the equipment they need to do their jobs. He was wrong to ignore the best advice of America’s own military – including his own Army Chief of Staff – about how many troops we needed to accomplish our mission.

Far too many of you have been on the ground for far too long – much longer than was expected or promised. Far too many of you face additional deployments in the months and years ahead.

The National Guard was intended to complement, not be a substitute for, active duty forces.

Complete Text

I see it as very dangerous to be trying to undermine the Commander in Chief when at war. Kerry seems to believe that reverting back to VVAW speeches trying to alienate the troops will boost him into the Whitehouse.

He is a very dangerous person, in my opinion.
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This speech is so full of BS, who did he think he was talking to? I don’t think that BS will get very far with those men and women.

Quote:
As President, I will recognize that homeland security is a Constitutionally-mandated mission of the National Guard.

Ok, he’s getting deep now

Quote:
And I will always remain grateful to all of you who do this every day with such grace and such courage.

Don’t you believe it! He’ll screw you every time.

Ok, one thing I heard some of this BS on the news today and I could swear I heard him say something about Bush using the NG as a back door draft, it’s not any where in the text, was I just hearing things?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what is in the text;

Quote:
Right now, our troops over-stretched and over-extended and the Guard and Reserve have been called on to fill the gap. As President, I pledge to you that I will end the backdoor draft of our National Guard.

Later on, he also said;

Quote:
In this new era, it is imperative that we modernize the world’s most powerful military – that we build a 21st century military to meet these 21st century threats. Today, we need a stronger, more modern, better-prepared military to meet the challenges of the post-9/11 world.
As President, I will start by expanding America’s active duty forces.

Today, our armed services are stretched far too thin. Nine out of ten active duty Army divisions are committed to Iraq – either currently there, preparing to go, or recently returned.

Then even later;

Quote:
That’s why, as President, I will add 40,000 new soldiers to our armed forces -- not to increase the number of soldiers in Iraq, but to help prevent and prepare for other possible conflicts.

I will also double our Army Special Forces to hunt down the terrorists....

Is such an egotist that he believes people will flcok to the recruiters just because he is sitting in the Oval Office? Or, does he silently propose a "Front Door Draft?"
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right now, our troops over-stretched and over-extended and the Guard and Reserve have been called on to fill the gap. As President, I pledge to you that I will end the backdoor draft of our National Guard.

ok I wasn't hearing things, I was just not seeing things, I read that disgusting speech 3 times. Embarassed

I need more sleep Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Is such an egotist that he believes people will flcok to the recruiters just because he is sitting in the Oval Office? Or, does he silently propose a "Front Door Draft?"

yes
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the NG audience sat on their hands and glared back at a sick, haughty, and angry looking man, who is a poor excuse for a presidential candidate.
92g
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read his VVAW speeches, the more I hear him today. I can already here him saying "Who wants to be the last soldier to die for Bush's mistake?".

Terry
stop kerry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Does Kerry Think He's Still A VVAW Spokesman? Reply with quote

In reading kerry's speech to the NG he tries to give the impression that he 's going to do better things for the NG and all the military==if elected??
Well his track record looks pretty miserable on 'support' Evil or Very Mad
When he spoke to the American Legion I found a post saying go the smart-vote.org to see how all members of congress and the Senate supported VA bills. Well guess what---- kerry had a ZERO rating in 2003 Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
If kerry is such a great supporter of veterans he sure doen't vote that way Exclamation That might be the reason some at the convention stood up and 'turned their back on him' Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how in his speaches he does not mention the fact that he with Bill and Hillary Clinton supported the Military, FBI and Intelligency cuts of the 1990's era of the most corrupt administration in the History of America. After all was it not John Kerry that even proposed additional intelligence cuts and could not even get the support of or co sponsor ship of Ted (how long can you tread water) Kennedy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: