SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimmy Carter Letter to Zell Miller
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAW11_Vet
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Carter Letter to Zell Miller Reply with quote

Here is the text of a letter that former President Jimmy Carter sent to Sen. Zell Miller (D-Ga.) over the weekend:

You seem to have forgotten that loyal Democrats elected you as mayor and as state senator. Loyal Democrats, including members of my family and me, elected you as lieutenant governor and as governor. It was a loyal Democrat, Lester Maddox, who assigned you to high positions in the state government when you were out of office. It was a loyal Democrat, Roy Barnes, who appointed you as U.S. Senator when you were out of office. By your historically unprecedented disloyalty, you have betrayed our trust.

Great Georgia Democrats who served in the past, including Walter George, Richard Russell, Herman Talmadge, and Sam Nunn disagreed strongly with the policies of Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and me, but they remained loyal to the party in which they gained their public office. Other Democrats, because of philosophical differences or the race issue, like Bo Callaway and Strom Thurmond, at least had the decency to become Republicans.

Everyone knows that you were chosen to speak at the Republican Convention because of your being a "Democrat," and it's quite possible that your rabid and mean-spirited speech damaged our party and paid the Republicans some transient dividends.

Perhaps more troublesome of all is seeing you adopt an established and very effective Republican campaign technique of destroying the character of opponents by wild and false allegations. The Bush campaign's personal attacks on the character of John McCain in South Carolina in 2000 was a vivid example. The claim that war hero Max Cleland was a disloyal American and an ally of Osama bin Laden should have given you pause, but you have joined in this ploy by your bizarre claims that another war hero, John Kerry, would not defend the security of our nation except with spitballs. (This is the same man whom you described previously as "one of this nation's authentic heroes, one of this party's best-known and greatest leaders — and a good friend.")

I, myself, never claimed to have been a war hero, but I served in the navy from 1942 to 1953, and, as president, greatly strengthened our military forces and protected our nation and its interests in every way. I don't believe this warrants your referring to me as a pacificist.

Zell, I have known you for forty-two years and have, in the past, respected you as a trustworthy political leader and a personal friend. But now, there are many of us loyal Democrats who feel uncomfortable in seeing that you have chosen the rich over the poor, unilateral preemptive war over a strong nation united with others for peace, lies and obfuscation over the truth, and the political technique of personal character assassination as a way to win elections or to garner a few moments of applause. These are not the characteristics of great Democrats whose legacy you and I have inherited.
Se7eN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter is an idiot. Rolling Eyes
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Jimmy sounds mad.

Too bad.

He's buying the Kerry war hero crap:

Quote:
...but you have joined in this ploy by your bizarre claims that another war hero, John Kerry, would not defend the security of our nation except with spitballs.

Another delusional democrat.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Carter Reply with quote

Jimmy Carter: "I, myself, never claimed to have been a war hero, but I served in the navy from 1942 to 1953, and, as president, greatly strengthened our military forces and protected our nation and its interests in every way. I don't believe this warrants your referring to me as a pacificist."

My comments: Jimmy Carter, as president, undermined the Shah of Iran and paved the way for the Ayatollah Khomeini to lead his country back to the 8th century, and Iran has been fomenting terrorism ever since. How did THAT protect American interests?

What about Carter's bungled attempt at a commando raid to rescue the American hostages in Iran, which failed because Carter didn't send in enough helicopters in order to save money? At that time, everybody else in America was saddled with gasoline shortages, 13% inflation and 20% interest rates.. sounds rather penny-wise and pound-foolish to me!

What about all the treaties Carter signed with Brezhnev where America agreed to disarm, but nobody ever verified what the Soviets were doing?

Zell Miller is right. Carter IS a pacifist.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were him I would have saved it and forgot it. He really takes the cake where he says he strenghtened teh military on his watch. How much? Where? Did authorize new toilet seats or something?

Carter needs to realize he is relice of the political dustbin. In my neck of woods he's a laughing stoock joke to wail on.

He might as well be the very reason Islama-facist are still attacking us today due to his weak asction in 1979.

I hope the man can sleep at night.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy Carter Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:
Jimmy Carter: "I, myself, never claimed to have been a war hero, but I served in the navy from 1942 to 1953, and, as president, greatly strengthened our military forces and protected our nation and its interests in every way. I don't believe this warrants your referring to me as a pacificist."

My first 15 months in the Navy were under the good Mr. Carter's tenure.

For him to claim that he strengthened military forces and protected our nation makes me just as mad as Kerry "reporting for duty!"

Who's to say what might have happened had we supported the Shah of Iran when he needed it?

Buzz Patterson makes a pretty good case in "Reckless Disregard" for the idea that that is the point in history in which terrorism found a toegrip.

Strengthened the military, my butt. We didn't have money for training flights, which means the pilots didn't get trained, ground personnel didn't get trained, no traffic to control in the tower or radar, no gripes to fix on return - which was good, because there weren't any friggin' parts, anyway.

Our TACAN went out at least once a day. Our runways went well beyond the date at which they needed deep restoration. Our field lighting was outdated. Our teletype and inter-facility comm systems were from WWII and Korea. Our transient pilots center was a Quonset hut-type of shed.

E5's on food stamps were common, E6's & E7's not unheard of. It was a dispirited time to be in the military.

And Jimmy Carter appears to be proud of what he "accomplished" during that time? I should have friggin' known! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Y'All in New York
Why I skipped the Boston convention.

BY ZELL MILLER
Saturday, July 31, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

Twelve years ago, I delivered one of the keynote addresses on the first night at the Democratic National Convention in New York. It was a stinging rebuke of the administration of George H.W. Bush and a ringing endorsement of Bill Clinton. This summer I'll again be speaking in New York, but it will be to the Republican Convention that renominates George W. Bush.

Many have asked how I could have come so far in just over a decade. Frankly, I don't think I've changed much at all. At 72, I don't feel much need to change my opinions. Instead, the reason I didn't attend the Democratic Convention in Boston is that I barely recognize my party anymore. Most of its leaders--including our nominee, John Kerry--don't hold the same beliefs that have motivated my career in public service.

In 1992, I spoke of the opportunity and hope that allowed me, the son of a single mother growing up in the North Georgia mountains, to become my state's governor. And I attributed much of my success to the great Democratic presidents of years gone by--FDR (a hallowed man in my home), Truman and JFK. The link these men shared was a commitment to helping Americans born into any condition rise to achieve whatever goal they set for themselves.

I spoke of Americans who were "tired of paying more in taxes and getting less in services." I excoriated Republicans who "dealt in cynicism and skepticism." I accused them of mastering "the art of division and diversion." And I praised Bill Clinton as a moderate Democrat "who has the courage to tell some of those liberals who think welfare should continue forever, and some of those conservatives who think there should be no welfare at all, that they're both wrong."

Bill Clinton did deliver on welfare reform, after a lot of prodding from the Republicans who took hold of Congress in 1995. But much of the rest of the promise I saw in his candidacy withered during his two terms in office.

Today, it's the Democratic Party that has mastered the art of division and diversion. To run for president as a Democrat these days you have to go from interest group to interest group, cap in hand, asking for the support of liberal kingmakers. Mr. Kerry is no different. After Hollywood elites profaned the president, he didn't have the courage to put them in their place. Instead, he validated their remarks, claiming that they represent "the heart and soul of America."
No longer the party of hope, today's Democratic Party has become Mr. Kerry's many mansions of cynicism and skepticism. As our economy continues to get better and businesses add jobs, Mr. Kerry's going around America trying to convince people that the roof is about to cave in. He talks about "the misery index" and the Depression. What does he know about either?

And when it comes to taxes and services, you'd be pressed to find anyone more opposed to the interests of middle-class Americans than John Kerry. Except maybe John Edwards. Both voted against tax relief for married couples, tax relief for families with children, and tax relief for small businesses. Now Mr. Kerry wants to raise taxes on hundreds of thousands of small-business owners and millions of individuals. He claims to be for working people, but I don't understand how small businesses can create jobs if they've got to send more money to Washington instead of keeping it to hire workers.

Worst of all, Sens. Kerry and Edwards have not kept faith with the men and women who are fighting the war on terror--most of whom come from small towns and middle-class families all over America. While Mr. Bush has stood by our troops every step of the way, Messrs. Kerry and Edwards voted to send our troops to war and then voted against the money to give them supplies and equipment--not to mention better benefits for their families. And recently Mr. Kerry even said he's proud of that vote. Proud to abandon our troops when they're out in the field? I can hear Harry Truman cussing from his grave.

I still believe in hope and opportunity and, when it comes right down to it, Mr. Bush is the man who represents hope and opportunity. Hope for a safer world. And opportunity for Americans to work hard, keep more of the money they earn, and send their kids to good schools. All the speeches we heard this week weren't able to hide the truth of what today's Democratic Party has become: an enclave of elites paying lip service to middle-class values. Americans looking for a president who understands their struggles and their dreams should tune in next month, when we celebrate the leadership of George W. Bush.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005426

Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: My Party Right Or Wrong!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Great Georgia Democrats who served in the past, including Walter George, Richard Russell, Herman Talmadge, and Sam Nunn disagreed strongly with the policies of Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and me, but they remained loyal to the party in which they gained their public office.

Remember in the 60's how the Left ridiculed the My Country Right Or Wrong attitude? Has anyone else noticed that the Democrats unstated moto and what their bumper stickers would say if they were truthful is:

MY PARTY RIGHT OR WRONG!!!
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Carter Reply with quote

If Jimmy Carter gets actively involved in this campaign, it could represent a boost for Bush. If Carter starts reminding everyone of his presidency, most voters over 40 years old will remember why they voted for Reagan, and vote for Bush to avoid another Carter-like president!

Any more comments from the peanut gallery, Jimmy?
eXcel
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter is the WORST modern president (assuming kerry doesn't get in) and he makes it sound like Zell would never have been elected anything if he wasnt a democrat and democrats didn't just blindly vote democratic. What a freakin p**z.
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

444 days Americans were held hostage and on the swearing in of REAGAN they were released.If thats not telling I dont know what is.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Carter is possibly the most useless president we have ever had.
I will never forget hte gas lines during his term.
weds
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ... the peanut president need we say more...
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the 10 percent unemployment rateand his price freeze. Oh yeah, how about the "much ado about nothing" peace deal he brokered between Begin and Arafat. As Bugs Bunny would say "What a maroon"
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya think it is the rabies from the famous rabbit attack? Smile
Did you even notice that nobody ever made fun of him for saying "nukular?" And he was a Nukular Engineer!!

Seriously though,

Quote:
By your historically unprecedented disloyalty, you have betrayed our trust.

I would think that any Vietnam veteran could say the same of Kerry.

Did Carter write a similar letter to Jim Jeffords, elected by good Vermont Republicans, when he abandoned the President in a snit, handing over power to the Senate Dems? I think not.

Quote:
Other Democrats, because of philosophical differences or the race issue, like Bo Callaway and Strom Thurmond, at least had the decency to become Republicans.

There you have it: Carter said the only way to be decent is to become Republican! LOL! And did he mean that Thurmond left the Dem party to become non-racist, which the timeline would support? Is he using Rather's proofreaders?

Quote:
Perhaps more troublesome of all is seeing you adopt an established and very effective Republican campaign technique of destroying the character of opponents by wild and false allegations. The Bush campaign's personal attacks on the character of John McCain in South Carolina in 2000 was a vivid example.

As were the baseless and fact deprived smears against the SBVT!

Quote:
The claim that war hero Max Cleland was a disloyal American and an ally of Osama bin Laden should have given you pause, but you have joined in this ploy by your bizarre claims that another war hero, John Kerry, would not defend the security of our nation except with spitballs.

The Cleland statement is provably untrue (see below), but libs like Carter love to believe it. Hard to believe, but here we have another person unclear on the concept of a metaphor.

Quote:
(This is the same man whom you described previously as "one of this nation's authentic heroes, one of this party's best-known and greatest leaders — and a good friend.")

James Carville, on Imus in the morning, said Begala, not Miller, wrote that speech and just handed it to Miller to read. He further presumed that the Republicans did likewise, but Miller quickly squashed that Carville lie.

Re: Cleland, see http://slate.msn.com/id/2098171/fr/rss/
Former Sen. Max Cleland
How the disabled war veteran became the Democrats' mascot.
By Michael Crowley
Posted Friday, April 2, 2004, at 10:57 AM PT

Quote:
Cleland's image as Bush's ultimate victim suits Kerry's campaign all too well. There are no bold new ideas in the Democratic Party today, no coherent policy themes. Even Kerry's supporters are hard-pressed to explain what he stands for. What does define and unify the party is a sense of victimhood—and a lust for revenge. ...

Bush and Chambliss hammered at the fact that Cleland was voting with Senate Democrats against Bush's proposed Homeland Security Department because of its infamous provision limiting union rights. The message was that Cleland was kowtowing to big labor at the cost of protecting America. Most famously, Chambliss ran a vicious ad on Cleland's homeland security votes featuring images of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. In the popular liberal mythology, the ad disgustingly questioned Cleland's patriotism. "To this day I am motivated by—and I will be throughout this campaign—the most craven moment I've ever seen in politics, when the Republican Party challenged this man's patriotism in the last campaign," John Kerry has said.

But that's not what happened. The ad, though sleazy in its use of Osama and Saddam, didn't question Cleland's patriotism. It questioned his political courage and judgment. It focused narrowly on his behavior in office and his actual votes against the Homeland Security Department. With images of Bin Laden and Saddam flashing onscreen, a narrator declared that, "As America faces terrorists and extremist dictators, Max Cleland runs television ads claiming he has the courage to lead." The ad then listed Cleland's votes against the Homeland Security Department and said he was stalling "the president's vital homeland security efforts." It concluded: "Max Cleland says he has the courage to lead, but the record proves Max Cleland is just misleading."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: